Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

What happens after you're in a plane crash like OZ 214?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens after you're in a plane crash like OZ 214?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:21 am

....as has been proofed to us recently (not that we did know this before) but regardless of how any foreigners arrives in the US. The US gov knows a lot about him / her berfore arrival - probably including the color of his or her underwear. In cases such as the incident in San Fransico embassy staff were imeadiately dispatched to take care of their country men and organize replacement documents. I bet you cannot just leave the hospital either and in all honesty you probably wouldn't do that either after such an event. You would probably go looking for "help" in getting home anyway. I really cannot see someone who has been in such a horrific incident plan a quick get away to be able to stay in the US undetected. I hate to point out the obvious but those days are over.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
[QUOTE=some dude;21069809]I've heard from friends who traveled by Private Jet before that they typically when they enter any country (USA included), that Customs usually does a very very cursory check of the passengers (merely seeing that they have passports from approved countries is usually enough), and that they usually have to ASK to get stamps.

/QUOTE]

This is actually not true. A passenger with an American passport entering the USA may get the go-ahead right at the plane, but usually everyone gets a ride in the CBP van to the CBP office.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:19 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
There's an easy way around all these concerns. Stick your wallet, passport and thumb drive with all your documents on it into a pocket before landing and you're set before heading to the nearest exit. Everything else can be replaced. With that, I can call home, get through immigration, draw out cash from an ATM, get a hotel room and rent a car.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by us2
There's an easy way around all these concerns. Stick your wallet, passport and thumb drive with all your documents on it into a pocket before landing and you're set before heading to the nearest exit. Everything else can be replaced. With that, I can call home, get through immigration, draw out cash from an ATM, get a hotel room and rent a car.
This has always been my practice - although it remains in my pocket throughout the flight.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
This has always been my practice - although it remains in my pocket throughout the flight.
+1 though I pocket my mobile phone as well prior to landing. Though I am beginning to like the Scottvest idea.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
This is one of the reasons I have considered getting a Scottvest. In any emergency, it would be a grab and wear item, preloaded with all of those essentials. The people that I have talked to that have one swear by them. It could worn on the plane or at your feet ready to grab.
At your feet ready to grab doesn't cut it. Seconds cost, especially when you are in the middle or aisle seat in the way of people who leave their stuff behind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.