Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Personal goods damaged falling from overhead bin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2013, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: KL, LH, DL, SAS, FI, Marriott, Hilton

On a recent flight TATL, I opened the overhead bin when we landed and another passenger's camera promptly fell out and landed on the floor. I didn't see the item sitting in the bin (I am short and couldn't see into the bin). The passenger claimed that it no longer worked and tried to get the airline to pay using the claim form from the purser. The airline denied the claim because it was not one of their staff that opened the bin.

The passenger is now coming to me to try to get me to pay for his broken camera. I don't feel that it is my fault or responsibility since we experienced turbulence and the items likely shifted in the overhead bins because of this. I also believe that you place items in the overhead bins at your own risk - or am I wrong about this? If the item is that valuable then keep it under the seat in front of you.

Am I wrong to feel that this is not my responsibility? I apologized, of course, but I don't feel that I owe him any money, particularly since I have no guarantee that the camera worked before he boarded the flight. (Maybe I am being cynical here but he could just be trying to con me out of some money by claiming that I broke his camera.)
Old May 20, 2013, 5:26 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
How did he get your contact details? Tell him to contact his travel insurance.
Old May 20, 2013, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Because I stupidly gave him an email address. Won't do that ever again.

That was exactly what I responded that he should do. Then I promptly added his address to blocked senders.
Old May 20, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Was the camera in a padded case? If not, there's contributory negligence on his part. But how does your not seeing the camera change the outcome? If it was leaning against the bin door when you opened it, then even a tall person would have the same outcome. Did the camera fall only when you pulled your item out of the bin, and you weren't able to look first? I could see how the camera owner might think that was more of your fault. But they still should never have placed a naked camera in a bin alone if that was the situation.
Old May 20, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I agree with TheRoadie - placing a camera (or any other fragile item) into an overhead bin without a protective bag of some kind is sheer negligence, and any damage to the item is completely the fault of the person who put it there.

I wouldn't stick a luggage tag on a computer or a glass picture frame and check it as baggage without protection, nor would I ever put anything similarly fragile into the overhead.
Old May 20, 2013, 9:46 am
Original Poster

The camera fell out when I removed my backpack. That's why my not seeing it was important. Had I been taller, I might have seen it and removed it from wherever it was placed before I moved my backpack.

I don't know how much padding the case had. It was an older case - one of those shaped like the camera itself. So it didn't look like it had lots of padding.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
1) You don't owe the guy anything. He put the camera up there, when he could have put it under the seat in front of him. Or stored it in a bag or something. A camera is definitely a loose item, even if it's in the small case.

2) Never give any of your information to anyone unless you absolutely have to.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Ignore him.

Don't get into a legal debate with him unless you are a lawyer. Anything you say (or write) can hurt and nothing can help.

For future, don't hand put personal details unless there's a business or social reason to do so.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:29 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Pretty funny.

In the threads about it when an airline employee opens a bin and something falls out, it's like 90/10 that the airline should buy them six new ones, the employee was an idiot, etc.

In the threads when it's a passenger it's just the opposite, that it's the guy who put it up there's fault.

It's his fault for putting it up there, it's not yours because it fell out. Only a moron would put something like that up there not in a bag or something.

It's not the airlines fault, it's not your fault. If they want to go after somebody they can go after gravity.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by cordelli
Pretty funny.

In the threads about it when an airline employee opens a bin and something falls out, it's like 90/10 that the airline should buy them six new ones, the employee was an idiot, etc.

In the threads when it's a passenger it's just the opposite, that it's the guy who put it up there's fault.

It's his fault for putting it up there, it's not yours because it fell out. Only a moron would put something like that up there not in a bag or something.

It's not the airlines fault, it's not your fault. If they want to go after somebody they can go after gravity.
+ - What's good for the goose is good for the gander. The only person responsible for damage to an item in the OH is the person who put it there.
Old May 20, 2013, 2:34 pm

What ever you do, don't admit any liability to him in an email.

He should know not to put fragile items in overhead bin like that. What if a bag bounced in turbulence and smashed it? Sucks to be him, but it is not your fault.
(And double sucks to be him if he doesn't have insurance).

p.s. I had to laugh; I was reading the airlines position on various items in the overhead bin and they state "bowling balls must not be stowed in the overhead bin". Now that would be a surprise for the unwary opening the locker!
Old May 20, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Was the camera in a padded case? If not, there's contributory negligence on his part. But how does your not seeing the camera change the outcome? If it was leaning against the bin door when you opened it, then even a tall person would have the same outcome. Did the camera fall only when you pulled your item out of the bin, and you weren't able to look first? I could see how the camera owner might think that was more of your fault. But they still should never have placed a naked camera in a bin alone if that was the situation.
Yeah. If you're pulling stuff and dislodge something else I think it's your fault. If it simply tipped against the door there's not a lot you can do about it.
Old May 20, 2013, 7:35 pm

You don't owe the guy anything. However, this is a good lesson to all of us to open the bins slowly.
Old May 21, 2013, 3:38 am

Do you have insurance that will cover you for damage to other peoples belongings? If so you might want to let them handle this case since the have a bigger legal department that can wrangle their way out of this one.
Old May 21, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Block and ignore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.