Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take knitting (+needles) on flight?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Take knitting (+needles) on flight?

We are due to fly from Regional airport, through Schiphol, to Germany, for Christmas. With 5-hours in transit, it is important that I can take knitting with me, in hand baggage, to keep me sane in transit.

I have consulted:

The regional departure airport
Schiphol
The airline (KLM)
The Government dictat (UK)

No where does it say that knitting needles are prohibited along that route. Yet Google which knows everything reveals that Heathrow - which we are NOT using - prohibits knitting needles. This has thrown doubt upon plan. Heathrow (in UK) say no way; regional airport (in UK) say nothing.

If there was only one flight I wouldn't worry. But there are two lots of "security" to endure: one at Regional airport and again at Schiphol going from non-Schengen to Schengen. For all I know their rules are made up on the spot.

What would anyone advise? I have already thought of putting knitting project on wooden needles and hiding the metal ones in umbrella for X-ray purposes, then transferring back to metal needles once past X-ray and into neutral air-side zone.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:57 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by Bensheim

No where does it say that knitting needles are prohibited along that route. Yet Google which knows everything reveals that Heathrow - which we are NOT using - prohibits knitting needles. This has thrown doubt upon plan. Heathrow (in UK) say no way; regional airport (in UK) say nothing.
Google isn't perfect. Heathrow Airport official site says knitting needles are allowed.

Circular needles seem like less of a threat, but regular ones should be okay. Worst case you have to check your bag for one leg of your trip. I'd put the knitting in a large purse rather than rollerboard. They never seem to find anything of interest in my purse but the examine the bag more closely.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lili
Google isn't perfect. Heathrow Airport official site says knitting needles are allowed.

Circular needles seem like less of a threat, but regular ones should be okay. Worst case you have to check your bag for one leg of your trip. I'd put the knitting in a large purse rather than rollerboard. They never seem to find anything of interest in my purse but the examine the bag more closely.
Hi lili

Thanks for replying. We're talking two different versions of English. Purse? Rollerboard?

I think that for "purse" you mean (to me) handbag. My handbag isn't in the shuffle, the knitting will be put in my rucksack carry-on hand luggage. I think that for "rollerboard" you mean (to me) suitcase, which will be checked in and taken away from me until we reach destination.

Can't check the bag (suitcase) for one leg of the trip: not possible with international transit.

Thanks again for replying. I only mentioned Heathrow because it is also in the UK.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Bensheim
Hi lili

Thanks for replying. We're talking two different versions of English. Purse? Rollerboard?

I think that for "purse" you mean (to me) handbag. My handbag isn't in the shuffle, the knitting will be put in my rucksack carry-on hand luggage. I think that for "rollerboard" you mean (to me) suitcase, which will be checked in and taken away from me until we reach destination.

Can't check the bag (suitcase) for one leg of the trip: not possible with international transit.

Thanks again for replying. I only mentioned Heathrow because it is also in the UK.
Though I can't answer your original question (lili seemed to cover it well), I was amused by the linguistic confusion.

Yes, purse is a common American term for a woman's handbag. It's also called "pocket book" or "pock-a-book" as my grandmother and mother used to pronounce it.

Rollerboard is a common nickname for the small (21-inch or smaller) upright rolling bags with extendable handles, used as carry-on luggage by a great many frequent fliers. Also called a pilot's case because of its popularity amongst pilots and flight crews, this style of bag got the name rollerboard from the brand name Rollaboard, which (not completely sure) is a line of such bags made by a major luggage manufacturer (Travelpro comes up when you Google Rollaboard).

If you're interested, there is a long thread of such terminology tangle-ups in the TravelBuzz board. I find it fascinating:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...o-english.html
Old Dec 11, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Take a small umbrella and stuff the needles inside. That will even get them through places even where prohibited
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bankops
Take a small umbrella and stuff the needles inside. That will even get them through places even where prohibited
I already thought of that: "....I have already thought of putting knitting project on wooden needles and hiding the metal ones in umbrella for X-ray purposes,...."
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Our local regional airport are FASCISTS!

I had the following email conversation with the local Regional airport from whence I fly next week. (name of airport removed for these purposes)

Me: Subject: Knitting? Please confirm it IS allowed in hand baggage.

I phoned xyz/(your) Airport recently and was told that I can take knitting (i.e., knitting needles and knitting) in my hand baggage, through security and onto the plane. Since I have to endure 5 hours in transit in Schiphol when we fly on December 22nd, it is more important than it may appear, that I am allowed to take this knitting with me in my hand baggage. Knitting will keep me sane.

Could someone please reply to confirm this, in writing?

IF metal needles are a problem then I can switch to wooden ones - but I will need to know in advance.

Them: On 11 Dec 2012, at 21:04, Information Desk wrote:

Hello,

I am sorry to say that knitting needles are not permitted in hand luggage through xyz Airport.
Knitting needles would have to be packed and checked into the hold.

Regards Lynne

Me: Hallo

According to the UK Government website (hand luggage restrictions at UK airports) knitting needles are allowed in hand luggage.

https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-rest...personal-items

Please comment. Thank you.

Them: Hello,

You are correct in your statement, however it is up to the discretion of each and individual airport and unfortunately
xyz Airport is one that will NOT allow knitting needles in hand baggage

Regards.

So, the UK Government decrees that knitting needles are permitted on planes departing the UK, but this piddling regional airport thinks that that's not good enough for them, and they are banned.

THIS is the piddling regional airport which charges every one an extra £10 just to get through to air-side, after you've checked in, and before you go through security. Every one. Even children. No exceptions. No pay, no get on plane. It used to be £5/head, but they've upped it to £10/head.

Oh, and when we get to the swirling madhouse known as Schiphol, they would let my husband into the KLM lounge this time, but not me. The previous time they would let me in, but not him. (This is because of change of respective frequent-flyer statuses.)

The more I fly, the more I am beginning to hate it. You don't get any of this **** with EuroStar.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:37 am

Location: either in Salishaan, or at an isolated colliery in the Canadian northland
Programs: AC P75: previously, quintuple secret pterodactyl wings, every year
It's just possible that the people at the 'piddling little airport' are afraid that you might knit an Afghan....

Five hours' time is a bit short for that, of course.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Circular needles with your project in progress (especially if you have several rows completed and lots of yarn attached) shouldn't be any problem.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:41 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by mevlannen
It's just possible that the people at the 'piddling little airport' are afraid that you might knit an Afghan....

Five hours' time is a bit short for that, of course.
Afghans aren't very big are they? With very large needles, huge amounts of yarn and some help from transient knitters one could knit an army of afghans and a smallish TSA bobblehead in five hours.

^^ for the funniest post this week.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 2:45 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Rollerboard is a common nickname for the small (21-inch or smaller) upright rolling bags with extendable handles, used as carry-on luggage by a great many frequent fliers. Also called a pilot's case because of its popularity amongst pilots and flight crews, this style of bag got the name rollerboard from the brand name Rollaboard, which (not completely sure) is a line of such bags made by a major luggage manufacturer (Travelpro comes up when you Google Rollaboard).
This is a "rollerboard":

(credit to Howste, who posted the image in this thread)

Rollaboard is actually a trademark of Travelpro International, Inc., which is probably why websites usually refer to other brands' rollaboards as "wheeled upright" or "rolling carry-on" (not carrion) bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.