Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Temper blowout at LHR T5 - screeners lying or truthful?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Temper blowout at LHR T5 - screeners lying or truthful?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2012, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by GLEN36
Not an urban myth in this case. But agree with you re Snopes.
Here is a link to the modern version of using Camels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Fv6qsitjM
Old Dec 8, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Nobody said that it was, Celle.
Look. Let's get this straight. N830MH posted an ill-informed, ranting condemnation of UK security, even though he had not experienced it. His post demonstrated not only his problems with English (for which I made a polite suggestion, even if I was incorrect, and for which I have now apologised), but also his failure to understand other aspects of life in the UK.

In the light of his lack of personal experience and of his misunderstanding of another aspect of British life, I asked for the source of his opinion. Since he gave no source, I said that he was not qualified to judge. That's right. I said you need to experience something like a country's security screening systems before you are qualified to judge them.

I would have accepted personal experience or a reference to a reliable, academic report or survey as a basis for an informed opinion. He had neither.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 7:55 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by celle
Look. Let's get this straight. N830MH posted an ill-informed, ranting condemnation of UK security, even though he had not experienced it. His post demonstrated not only his problems with English (for which I made a polite suggestion, even if I was incorrect, and for which I have now apologised), but also his failure to understand other aspects of life in the UK.

In the light of his lack of personal experience and of his misunderstanding of another aspect of British life, I asked for the source of his opinion. Since he gave no source, I said that he was not qualified to judge. That's right. I said you need to experience something like a country's security screening systems before you are qualified to judge them.

I would have accepted personal experience or a reference to a reliable, academic report or survey as a basis for an informed opinion. He had neither.
I think he was judging them based on the previous posts in the thread. The OP criticized several aspects of UK security procedures in post #1, and based on that information, N830MH made an assessment of the situation. Information from other posters is a valid basis to make a judgment.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

What do you base the assumption of Low Probability on?
I suggest, that the intelligence services know a lot more than we do.
Looks like the thread went off on a tangent, which I haven't read yet, but while I think intelligence services know more, I don't think they have our best interests at heart, and are not to be trusted.

The amount of PETN that can take down a plane (according to explosives experts) is about the size of a C-cell battery. This amount, and a great deal more, can be inserted in the rectum of any human. Therefore, all the scanning of bags, naked photography of people and the like achieves nothing, so long as they are not doing cavity searches.

Also, despite the 'enhanced security', they could not prevent the shoe bomber or the underwear bomber.

On top of that, in the USA, tens of thousands die on our roads each year. We still let 16 year olds get a permit to drive a motor vehicle by only answering a 10-question multiple choice test, and we are lax with drunks who continue to drive, but we are so scared of a once-in-a-lifetime terrorist event that we willingly give up our rights for a false sense of security from it?

As long as these ridiculous hypocrisies exist, I have zero faith in the intelligence services to respect the rights of the individual, or to act rationally in the interests of actual security. It's all theater (theatre, for the Brits).
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Not an urban myth in this case. But agree with you re Snopes.
It's an urban myth...goes back to the 70's perhaps even earlier

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...y/aa092198.htm

With all due respect to you, this is *precisely* the problem with airport security. It needs to be based on logic, reason, intelligence (the IQ kind, not the document kind), and effectiveness.

It should never be based on fear, paranoia, "feel good-ness", or an irrational need to feel that "something" is being done. Case in point - there is not a problem with the use of dead babies to smuggle drugs, and using something so horrific and outrageous as a basis for modern day drug screening fails the fear and paranoia metrics above.

Also, a google search shows nothing other than the video you posted regarding using camels to smuggle drugs. Frankly, I think the video is BS. It makes a claim, fails to back it up with any proof, just shows some video of camels. Combined with zero other sources on the Internet backing it up, I have to write off the video as fantasy.

Last edited by corporate666; Dec 8, 2012 at 8:47 pm
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
I think he was judging them based on the previous posts in the thread. The OP criticized several aspects of UK security procedures in post #1, and based on that information,N830MH made an assessment of the situation. Information from other posters is a valid basis to make a judgment.
Maybe. However, anecdotal evidence is not proof. It is notoriously subjective and does not form a reliable basis from which to condemn the security system of an entire nation. To form an opinion based on other people's one-time, subjective experiences is unsound, particularly in a forum where many posters have their own agenda to pursue.

None of the prior posts mentioned some of the unfounded allegations that N830MH made, which is one of the reasons I asked him for his sources.

I, too, have had the occasional bad experience while going through security screening in various countries. This did not cause me to condemn the entire country's security systems. I just put it down to either the screeners or myself having a bad day.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
I think he was judging them based on the previous posts in the thread. The OP criticized several aspects of UK security procedures in post #1, and based on that information, N830MH made an assessment of the situation. Information from other posters is a valid basis to make a judgment.
^
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:32 pm

Not always. And not if the information posted is coloured by the poster's own attitude (as was the case of the OP of this thread) and not if the information is based on a one-day experience at only one airport of many in the country.

That is insufficient evidence to condemn the procedures of an entire country.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:07 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by celle
Not always. And not if the information posted is coloured by the poster's own attitude (as was the case of the OP of this thread) and not if the information is based on a one-day experience at only one airport of many in the country.

That is insufficient evidence to condemn the procedures of an entire country.
Celle, I think you are being way too sensitive here. No one likes their country to be criticized, but it happens on the internet all the time. The TSA, for example, is subject to condemnation left and right on this forum, based solely on anecdotal evidence from a small handful of people. There is no research study showing the public overall has any significant problems with the TSA, yet on this forum you will see plenty of people calling them "incompetent", "criminals", or worse, based on stories told in these threads. Of course this is not a scientifically sound way of drawing conclusions, but this is an internet forum, not a peer-reviewed journal.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by corporate666
Looks like the thread went off on a tangent, which I haven't read yet, but while I think intelligence services know more, I don't think they have our best interests at heart, and are not to be trusted.

The amount of PETN that can take down a plane (according to explosives experts) is about the size of a C-cell battery. This amount, and a great deal more, can be inserted in the rectum of any human. Therefore, all the scanning of bags, naked photography of people and the like achieves nothing, so long as they are not doing cavity searches.

Also, despite the 'enhanced security', they could not prevent the shoe bomber or the underwear bomber.

On top of that, in the USA, tens of thousands die on our roads each year. We still let 16 year olds get a permit to drive a motor vehicle by only answering a 10-question multiple choice test, and we are lax with drunks who continue to drive, but we are so scared of a once-in-a-lifetime terrorist event that we willingly give up our rights for a false sense of security from it?

As long as these ridiculous hypocrisies exist, I have zero faith in the intelligence services to respect the rights of the individual, or to act rationally in the interests of actual security. It's all theater (theatre, for the Brits).
Theatre for the Brits??
The Brits have endured years of IRA bombings.
The aftermath of which would turn the stomach of the most hardened individual.
Better some security than none at all.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:01 am

Celle, I think you are being way too sensitive here. No one likes their country to be criticized, but it happens on the internet all the time. The TSA, for example, is subject to condemnation left and right on this forum, based solely on anecdotal evidence from a small handful of people. There is no research study showing the public overall has any significant problems with the TSA, yet on this forum you will see plenty of people calling them "incompetent", "criminals", or worse, based on stories told in these threads. Of course this is not a scientifically sound way of drawing conclusions, but this is an internet forum, not a peer-reviewed journal.
You are correct that I did not like one of my countries (I have dual citizenship) being criticised in an uninformed rant, written by someone who basically knew nothing about it. However, I also dislike sloppy thinking and reasoning. That is why I have been so insistent about the need for personal experience or proven reliable source before making a sweeping condemnation of a country's systems.

Yes, I know that the TSA is subject to inordinate criticism on Flyertalk, and I am aware that a number of the individuals who post here have a bee in their bonnet about it. Their comments in no way reflect my own experience when flying into and around the USA. I have my own experience to moderate their paranoia and I know that it is only a small minority of people who have a problem with the TSA.

I would not be rash enough to post a criticism of the entire USA's security procedures based on what I had only read about the TSA on Flyertalk. And I am sure that, had I been so rash, I would have had coals of fire heaped on my head by offended Americans!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:42 am

LINK
http://reliefweb.int/report/world/20...rism-2002-2011

Download the PDF file, makes interesting reading.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Theatre for the Brits??
The Brits have endured years of IRA bombings.
The aftermath of which would turn the stomach of the most hardened individual.
Better some security than none at all.
I've pointed out that the security measures that have been implemented post 9/11 have done nothing to improve security. Absolutely nothing. With respect, you are willfully participating and encouraging that theater by justifying these security procedures in the name of safety/security and at the expense of freedom and liberty.

The reality is that it *is* security theater. It achieves nothing other than offering the illusion of safety to the gullible and/or misinformed. Meanwhile, it tramples on the rights of millions. "Better some security than none at all" is the most disgusting of replies, because it not only creates a strawman, but it trivializes the rights of individuals and justifies expensive and utterly ineffective security theater with "well, we have to do *something*". Shame on those who fall for it.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by corporate666
I've pointed out that the security measures that have been implemented post 9/11 have done nothing to improve security. Absolutely nothing. With respect, you are willfully participating and encouraging that theater by justifying these security procedures in the name of safety/security and at the expense of freedom and liberty.

The reality is that it *is* security theater. It achieves nothing other than offering the illusion of safety to the gullible and/or misinformed. Meanwhile, it tramples on the rights of millions. "Better some security than none at all" is the most disgusting of replies, because it not only creates a strawman, but it trivializes the rights of individuals and justifies expensive and utterly ineffective security theater with "well, we have to do *something*". Shame on those who fall for it.
I trust that you never have to experience living with the daily threat of terrorist violence. Where every day one has to check ones car before setting out to work. Where even a piece of scrap newspaper under one of the wheels could hide a bomb. A technique used on a number of occasions.

You may not agree with me, but once experienced, Never Forgotten!

Your opinion will obviously never change. So I suggest we agree to disagree!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I trust that you never have to experience living with the daily threat of terrorist violence. Where every day one has to check ones car before setting out to work. Where even a piece of scrap newspaper under one of the wheels could hide a bomb. A technique used on a number of occasions.

You may not agree with me, but once experienced, Never Forgotten!

Your opinion will obviously never change. So I suggest we agree to disagree!
I definitely don't agree with you.

I'm more likely to die driving to the airport than I am to be injured in any way at the airport. And that's not because of TSA/DfT.

Terrorism succeeds because cowards are all too willing to change their behavior and cede their rights and liberties as the terrorists dictate they should. It's shameful and disgusting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.