Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus residency

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Nexus residency

I don't get this. It says "physically resided within Canada and/or the United States for three years prior to applying for membership". If you are not yet a citizen and travel outside of Canada + United States for a day, you can't apply for the next three years? Isn't Nexus for travelers ?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by chx1975
I don't get this. It says "physically resided within Canada and/or the United States for three years prior to applying for membership". If you are not yet a citizen and travel outside of Canada + United States for a day, you can't apply for the next three years? Isn't Nexus for travelers ?
Maybe you were just making a joke.. but "reside" doesn't mean you must be physically present in the US or Canada the entire time. You can leave temporarily on vacation or for business. As long as your primary residence is in the US or Canada for the last 3 years you're good.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC SE
Residency requirement is gone anyway...

Effective June 30, 2012, the CBSA lifted the three-year residency requirement for Canadian and United States citizens to apply to NEXUS

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/rel...07-10-eng.html
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fly-yul
Residency requirement is gone anyway...

Effective June 30, 2012, the CBSA lifted the three-year residency requirement for Canadian and United States citizens to apply to NEXUS

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/rel...07-10-eng.html
That isn't the OP's question. The OP is a permanent resident, not a citizen. Just don't mess up your continuity of residence and you should be fine. If you don't break continuity for the residency requirement for citizenship, I expect you won't break continuity for NEXUS eligibility.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:45 pm

sorry to bring this up, but I was still confused on the "3 year" requirement
vs. Canadian citizenship, stating clearly, it's 1095 days within 4 years

e.g. My wife first visited, and stayed in 2009
but left and returned to officially "landed" as PR in 2010
applied in 2012 (stupid me reading it wrong, thinking 3 year is waived for PR as well) for NEXUS and denied with the 3 year as reason

I had an interview for NEXUS at YYZ later and asked the officier, he didn't give a clear answer what "3 year means"

so it could mean
- 3 year, since LANDING or FIRST VISIT/STAY?
- 3 year, MAJORITY of the time (51%? 80%) in CANADA?

They should just say XXX days @@
so now, I'm afraid to apply and waste another $50, without a clear answer

She can apply for Canadian citizenship Nov 2013, and that's when I'll try NEXUS again, I suppose
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
3 years means landed in either country with legal status - the clock starts when you arrive as a legal immigrant (even on a temporary resident visa, ie USA H visa)...you don't need to have permanent resident status (ie green card) to qualify, but you can't reside with a tourist visa either.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
3 years means landed in either country with legal status - the clock starts when you arrive as a legal immigrant (even on a temporary resident visa, ie USA H visa)...you don't need to have permanent resident status (ie green card) to qualify, but you can't reside with a tourist visa either.
Thanks, that's what I figured now (i.e. Visitor "living" in Canada != Resident) and will simply wait for 1095 days anyway
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Thanks, that's what I figured now (i.e. Visitor "living" in Canada != Resident) and will simply wait for 1095 days anyway
Just to clarity, a 'visitor' who is 'living' in Canada (or the US) would not have their time qualify for residency unless the visa status is something other than 'temporary tourist/visitor' - meaning you would need something like a H visa in the US or the equivalent visa category (temporary 'resident' authorized to work) in Canada.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:52 pm

Is it possible GOES hasn't been adjusted for the removal of the residency requirement? I reside outside US/Cda and at the end of the GOES application my country of residence was listed as an error for correction. Clicking on that returned me to the field where it only allowed entry of US and Cda (had allowed all countries initially). Does this mean I have to apply another way?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA, AA, FB
It's quite possible that GOES has not been updated for all possible scenarios (see http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...2-020-eng.html for the exact wording of what the removal of the residency requirement means). A call/email to the help desk or a Nexus enrollment office should be able to help you. Otherwise, you should still be able to submit a paper application (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...mande-eng.html).
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Hobbes01
It's quite possible that GOES has not been updated for all possible scenarios (see http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...2-020-eng.html for the exact wording of what the removal of the residency requirement means). A call/email to the help desk or a Nexus enrollment office should be able to help you. Otherwise, you should still be able to submit a paper application (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...mande-eng.html).
I came across this thread via Google while running into this issue a year later, and two years after the press release from CBP and Customs Canada saying that the residency requirement has been eliminated. GOES still has not been updated; it requires a US or Canadian address for a US citizen.

The GOES support person I spoke to had not heard that the residency requirement was gone. After speaking to a supervisor, she advised me to call a NEXUS enrolment centre and submit a paper application. I called a NEXUS enrolment centre; the officer first told me of the three year residency requirement (!) and then told me to input a family member's (my parents, in my case) US address in GOES and leave an explanatory note. I did that and submitted the application. We'll see....

Update for the record: The application was approved with no questions (though haven't done the interview yet).

Last edited by ashill; Nov 4, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.