Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

No PreCheck when flying international

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United

I have managed to get through PreCheck on all of the my domestic flights. All of my international flights have failed - even though my first flight is domestic. Curious to know if that is other's experience and if it is SOP?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: Status Free
From TSA.gov's Precheck FAQ

Q. Can passengers access TSA Pre✓™ for international travel?

A. No. At this time, TSA Pre✓™ is only available for passengers traveling domestically on participating airlines. If any leg of an itinerary is international, the passenger will not qualify for TSA Pre✓™ for that itinerary and will go through traditional screening.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I have managed to get through PreCheck on all of the my domestic flights. All of my international flights have failed - even though my first flight is domestic. Curious to know if that is other's experience and if it is SOP?
The ultimate irony. I'm in precheck due to my membership in Global Entry, which is only useful on international flights.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:38 pm

The TSA says it's because "other countries won't cooperate." This is not a rational answer. Last week, I was considered "trusted" flying to Chicago.

This week, I'm taking the same flight but connecting on to Montréal, so I'm no longer "trustworthy."

Pistole said, "We're still not comfortable with international travel."

It makes no conceptual sense. I don't get it. But once again, the TSA has engendered frustration by its failure to come up with rational explanations for its rules.

Later this month, I'll fly from Paris to Dulles and back home. In order to board the flight in Paris, I'll need to have a TSA-approved interview and document check, TSA-approved screening at CDG, TSA-approved secondary screening at CDG, then swipe my Global Entry card at immigration at Dulles. But when I re-clear security, I'm not eligible for PreCheck. How can I be vetted so many times, yet still be ineligible?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by Mats
then swipe my Global Entry card at immigration at Dulles. But when I re-clear security, I'm not eligible for PreCheck. How can I be vetted so many times, yet still be ineligible?
may be because everyone else authenticates using fingerprints at GE kiosk, while you are trying to swipe the card who knows where...
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:58 pm

I meant swipe my passport... but it's not really a "swipe," more of a scan. I guess I do it without thinking too much about it.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 6:34 am

Programs: AADULtArer
A. No. At this time, TSA Pre✓™ is only available for passengers traveling domestically on participating airlines. If any leg of an itinerary is international, the passenger will not qualify for TSA Pre✓™ for that itinerary and will go through traditional screening.
I think that explains it.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
The TSA says it's because "other countries won't cooperate." This is not a rational answer. Last week, I was considered "trusted" flying to Chicago.

This week, I'm taking the same flight but connecting on to Montréal, so I'm no longer "trustworthy."

Pistole said, "We're still not comfortable with international travel."

It makes no conceptual sense. I don't get it. But once again, the TSA has engendered frustration by its failure to come up with rational explanations for its rules.

Later this month, I'll fly from Paris to Dulles and back home. In order to board the flight in Paris, I'll need to have a TSA-approved interview and document check, TSA-approved screening at CDG, TSA-approved secondary screening at CDG, then swipe my Global Entry card at immigration at Dulles. But when I re-clear security, I'm not eligible for PreCheck. How can I be vetted so many times, yet still be ineligible?
There is no rationality to it and there is no rational basis to fear international travel. These rules are made up by people who see te "boogeyman" everywhere and have an irrational fear of non-Americans.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:30 am

I hate it when the Boogeyman is on my flight. I always see BOO/M getting 1B while I'm #7 on the upgrade list.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hate it when the Boogeyman is on my flight. I always see BOO/M getting 1B while I'm #7 on the upgrade list.
His upgrade rate is 100%, but he does have Chairman's Preferred Executive Platinum Global Services Conceirge Key Platinum Medellian status.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by PresRDC
There is no rationality to it and there is no rational basis to fear international travel. These rules are made up by people who see te "boogeyman" everywhere and have an irrational fear of non-Americans.
Well: what does Pistole mean by 'other countries won't cooperate'?

'Cooperate' how? We already have TSA employees enjoying trips abroad and even duty abroad to 'consult' with local airport security and tell them how to bring their standards up to ours, at least for pax on flying US metal to US destinations or over the US or transiting the US. They all jump to our bidding.

So what new demands is TSA making to other countries, and what do they have to do with 'expedited' screening? What could TSA possibly want in advance of my flying to allow me expedited screening on an outbound international itinerary?

Something smells here.

Last edited by chollie; Nov 17, 2012 at 11:13 am
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Well: what does Pistole mean by 'other countries won't cooperate'?

'Cooperate' how? We already have TSA employees enjoying trips abroad and even duty abroad to 'consult' with local airport security and tell them how to bring their standards up to ours, at least for pax on flying US metal to US destinations or over the US or transiting the US. They all jump to our bidding.

So what new demands is TSA making to other countries, and what do they have to do with 'expedited' screening? What could TSA possibly want in advance of my flying to allow me expedited screening on an outbound international itinerary?

Something smells here.
It's nonsense. In order to be a trusted traveler, you need to be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, right? So it doesn't matter what other countries do. Plus, as Mats noted, the screening subject to Pre Check is U.S. screening at U.S. airports by TSA personnel or approved contractors. Whether one is coming from or going to a foreign country should not matter.

Almost all my travel is international, so I rarely get to use PreCheck.. It's pure B.S.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 1:40 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I think it is a matter of creating a good image in front of foreigners. If you have, for example, a flight from LAX to LHR, there are going to be both American and British citizens on the flight. If the British passengers see that several of the Americans are receiving special treatment while they have to go through extra steps, they are not going to be very happy, and perhaps the British government might object to discrimination against their citizens as well. On a domestic flight everyone is equal, so it is not an issue. Foreigners on a domestic flight are guests in the country and different treatment may be viewed as more justified.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
I think it is a matter of creating a good image in front of foreigners. If you have, for example, a flight from LAX to LHR, there are going to be both American and British citizens on the flight. If the British passengers see that several of the Americans are receiving special treatment while they have to go through extra steps, they are not going to be very happy, and perhaps the British government might object to discrimination against their citizens as well. On a domestic flight everyone is equal, so it is not an issue. Foreigners on a domestic flight are guests in the country and different treatment may be viewed as more justified.
If that's the case, why the restriction on domestic legs of an international itinerary?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I think that explains it.
Not. I fly to the Carribbean often. When flying back to the U.S. it's WTMD with shoes on. Everybody is precheck when outside the U.S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.