FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Multi-city tour.. check or carry on? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1381316-multi-city-tour-check-carry.html)

muirhejsff Aug 26, 2012 9:33 pm

Multi-city tour.. check or carry on?

Maybe someone wiser than I can help me decide what to do regarding luggage selection for my upcoming Round the World Trip..

I'm stopping in 4 different cities over 12 days, and will be traveling via bus, car & rail back and forth from the airport and my various destinations, so my bags are surely going to take a bit of stress.

Current choices I'm considering include:
  • 1-2 large carry-on bags (~21")
  • Garment bag (23")
  • Massive 28" bag

I really like the idea of packing light so that there is minimal lugging of the luggage, but want to make sure I have enough room for souvenirs, etc. If I do pack light, I'll probably consider having some laundry done at one or two of the hotels. Dress attire will generally be suits or sport coat/dress pants, but I'll also be packing for some recreation/leisure time as well.

FWIW I'm also planning on bringing my camera bag (backpack).

Any thoughts/recommendations would be great!

cordelli Aug 26, 2012 9:48 pm

I wouldn't do the 28 inch bag, it's too big to lug around for all your moving about. Even if it was, by the time you filled it up it would probably be too heavy.

muirhejsff Aug 26, 2012 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli (Post 19199659)
I wouldn't do the 28 inch bag, it's too big to lug around for all your moving about. Even if it was, by the time you filled it up it would probably be too heavy.

That's what I was thinking too.. which essentially leaves:
  • Option A: 2x 21" bags (I do think I can have these stack on top of each other)
  • Option B: 1x 21" bag + 1x 23" garment bag (I don't think the 21" will stack on the 23")

(Unless I only want to bring 1 small bag for 12 days, which I can't bear to consider as a real option!)

Georgia Peach Aug 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Take as little as you can when you're moving around a lot . If you don't need business clothes, take the 21" bag and another small bag you can stack on the roller. No checked bag will save time, and should your plans change, you'll have everything with you. If you have two 21" bags, the second one may not fit under the seat.

muirhejsff Aug 27, 2012 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Georgia Peach (Post 19203564)
Take as little as you can when you're moving around a lot . If you don't need business clothes, take the 21" bag and another small bag you can stack on the roller. No checked bag will save time, and should your plans change, you'll have everything with you. If you have two 21" bags, the second one may not fit under the seat.

+1 definitely on the trying not to check a bag. This was my thought as well, even if it's checking luggage plane side. I don't think I'll be able to pull it off, but I think stackable luggage is definitely the goal one way or another.