FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Will this work? To be able to greet my arriving fiancée at the gate. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1374498-will-work-able-greet-my-arriving-fiancee-gate.html)

B748i Aug 6, 2012 10:55 pm

Will this work? To be able to greet my arriving fiancée at the gate.

Sacramento/SMF.

Fiancée: Hawaiian airlines inbound flight, Terminal B.

Southwest is also in terminal B.

Please, I know this might sound ridiculous to some of you, but just let me be ridiculous this once. :)

Plan: Buy myself a refundable ticket on Southwest which will allow me to enter the terminal and meet her right at the gate. Go to my flight's gate and cancel (or, would another method of cancellation be better?), I'll just tell them "something came up". I don't care if the refund is super-quick, it won't be a very expensive flight. I'd even be willing to eat a low-price fare (like $74 to SNA) if I couldn't get it refunded.

Any problem with this plan?

squeakr Aug 6, 2012 11:18 pm

buy a refundable ticket online

and then just cancel it online?

DFWsakp Aug 6, 2012 11:52 pm

Will this work? To be able to greet my arriving fiancée at the gate.

You can surely do the same. Just pick up a flight which is like 4-6 hours later and checkin online the day before and use your boarding pass to get in. Once you are out of the terminal with your fiancée, just call and cancel your WN ticket. I don't see any issues at all.

thomwithanh Aug 7, 2012 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by B748i (Post 19073094)
Sacramento/SMF.

Fiancée: Hawaiian airlines inbound flight, Terminal B.

Southwest is also in terminal B.

Please, I know this might sound ridiculous to some of you, but just let me be ridiculous this once. :)

Plan: Buy myself a refundable ticket on Southwest which will allow me to enter the terminal and meet her right at the gate. Go to my flight's gate and cancel (or, would another method of cancellation be better?), I'll just tell them "something came up". I don't care if the refund is super-quick, it won't be a very expensive flight. I'd even be willing to eat a low-price fare (like $74 to SNA) if I couldn't get it refunded.

Any problem with this plan?

If it were me, I'd get a round-trip ticket. A one way might arouse suspicion and result in SSSS.

Often1 Aug 7, 2012 1:08 pm

Just ask HA for a gate pass at the counter. Explain why. No need for all the shenanigans.

gobluetwo Aug 7, 2012 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 19076799)
Just ask HA for a gate pass at the counter. Explain why. No need for all the shenanigans.

The risk, of course, is that they don't issue a gate pass and the OP is stuck waiting outside security or having to purchase a last minute refundable ticket anyway.

Houston.Business Aug 7, 2012 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo (Post 19076840)
The risk, of course, is that they don't issue a gate pass and the OP is stuck waiting outside security or having to purchase a last minute refundable ticket anyway.

Maybe Phone HA to see if a gate pass is possible?

SEA1K4EVR Aug 7, 2012 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 19076799)

Wanting to meet someone at the gate just for the heck of it is generally not a valid reason for a gate pass and it's very likely they'd say no. If it were a child or elderly person who needs assistance then yes..but that's apparently not the case here. The refundable ticket option is probably the only option.

iluv2fly Aug 7, 2012 3:13 pm

Have done this several times and it works. Just don't forget to cancel the ticket before the flight leaves to get your money back.

As another poster said, buy a ticket for a flight that is much later in the day (or night). There should be no issue with the time, but if a TSA agent should ask you why you are at the airport so early, tell them that you are trying to go standby for an earlier flight. (There have been reports that some aggressive agents have questioned pax about it.)

InkUnderNails Aug 7, 2012 4:12 pm

First, no one will bat an eye on a one way ticket. Those of us that are experienced Southwest flyers do it all of the time. Just do not do it at the last minute and pay cash.

Buy an Anytime fare, fully refundable. Once inside the secure area, call Southwest and cancel and be sure to request the refund. You can even buy the ticket, at 24 hours before the flight print your boarding pass, then immediately cancel the flight. Use the BP to get through security. OK, this is a bit sleazy, I would keep the flight open until I am inside the secure area.

If HA will give you a gate pass, take it.

As for the TSA, they will generally take anything that is same day and not past. The standby excuse is OK, but just buy a ticket for a flight that leaves close to the arrival time.

cordelli Aug 7, 2012 4:34 pm

If you really loved her you would fly out to meet her and fly back with her :p

But yes it will work, unless there's some type of gate change on her end.

andycat Aug 7, 2012 4:48 pm

An appropriate boarding pass from a past flight, saved as a .pdf file, with a little Photoshop work...

This is one of the widely known weaknesses of our current airport security. If you're not checking baggage, you only need your boarding pass to match your ID at TSA - really trivial to skirt this and not just get past security, but even fly with someone else's ticket.

rdaven2003 Aug 7, 2012 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by andycat (Post 19078173)
An appropriate boarding pass from a past flight, saved as a .pdf file, with a little Photoshop work...

This is one of the widely known weaknesses of our current airport security. If you're not checking baggage, you only need your boarding pass to match your ID at TSA - really trivial to skirt this and not just get past security, but even fly with someone else's ticket.

And then when you get caught you can see how much she loves you. If she bails you out you have it made if not it saved you some money but you still have to do the time.

B748i Aug 7, 2012 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 19077964)
Just do not do it at the last minute and pay cash.

Is this saying "do not pay cash" or "do pay cash"? Not a grammatical error, but a flaw of English language, I think. :) Or I'm just reading it incorrectly.

B748i Aug 7, 2012 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Houston.Business (Post 19077067)
Maybe Phone HA to see if a gate pass is possible?

What is HA?