Documents for a single mom and her child

Old Aug 10, 2012, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Post Documents for a single mom and her child

Hello !
I'm from France, and I plan to take my daughter (11) to Florida next year for the holidays. Her father and I are divorced, so I don't have the same surname as her. I'd like to know if I must take special documents to prove she's my daughter (I don't want to have problem with custom or else when we arrive). I have a family record book but it's written only in French.

I emailed this question to the American Embassy in France some months ago but nobody replied so I hope some of you will know.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Meril
Hello !
I'm from France, and I plan to take my daughter (11) to Florida next year for the holidays. Her father and I are divorced, so I don't have the same surname as her. I'd like to know if I must take special documents to prove she's my daughter (I don't want to have problem with custom or else when we arrive). I have a family record book but it's written only in French.

I emailed this question to the American Embassy in France some months ago but nobody replied so I hope some of you will know.
Many of my EU relatives' children with a different family name than the family name of one or both parents, yet they never have a problem when the trip is directly between the US and EU Schengen countries or UK-Ireland CTA. To play it safer than usual, some may get a notarized statement from the other custodial parent "authorizing" travel or a demonstration document indicating sole custody if applicable.

A French document showing parentage need not be translated for the US CBP dealings upon entry.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Here is a long thread discussing the topic.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:11 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
here's a sample document

http://www.singleparenttravel.net/wp...ent-Letter.pdf
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The US now deals with this by requiring both parents' signatures on the child's passport application or proof that the custodial parent is the sole custodian or living parent.

Not sure how it's done in Europe, but this takes away the guesswork.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
The US now deals with this by requiring both parents' signatures on the child's passport application or proof that the custodial parent is the sole custodian or living parent.

Not sure how it's done in Europe, but this takes away the guesswork.

The above comment is about (US) passport acquisition for a minor child, but the OP is asking about entry requirements to travel with her own minor child who has a different family name -- that is a separate issue from passport acquisition requirements.

The US passport acquisition requirements are irrelevant to the situation about which the OP is inquiring.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Many of my EU relatives' children with a different family name than the family name of one or both parents, yet they never have a problem when the trip is directly between the US and EU Schengen countries or UK-Ireland CTA. To play it safer than usual, some may get a notarized statement from the other custodial parent "authorizing" travel or a demonstration document indicating sole custody if applicable.
Second this. In any situation other than both parents with the minor the adult(s) should have such a letter anywhere with good law enforcement.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 5:47 am
Original Poster

In France too both parents' signature is needed for the child's passport application, and perhaps I'm overly cautious.
Thanks for your advices, I'll go with a notarized statement too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.