FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Global Entry/ NEXUS passport update (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1346096-global-entry-nexus-passport-update.html)

thomwithanh May 14, 2012 9:55 am

Global Entry/ NEXUS passport update

Appologies if this is not the correct place for this and mods feel free to move if appropriate.

I've been a NEXUS member (and also have Global Entry because of that) since 2009, and recently renewed my passport for my upcoming summer travel. I updated my profile on GOES with my new passport number and expiration date a few days ago.

One problem, my old passport from when I was 17 said "Charleston Passport Center" for authority and my new one simply says "US Department of State". There doesn't seem to be any way to update the issuing authority of your passport on GOES - how do I go about switching that (or does it even matter?)

aztimm May 14, 2012 5:09 pm

I'm going to move this over to the TSS-Practical forum, you should get better/some replies there. And if you don't, I can always move it back since I also moderate there.

aztimm

SEA1K4EVR May 15, 2012 9:59 am

It doesn't make any difference. I just put "US Passport Center" on mine.. the specific location isn't important. I don't even know why they ask that question relating to US passports...in every case the ultimate "authority" is the US State Dept no matter where the passport is issued (ie, passport center, overseas embassy, etc). It's not like they're contracting out that responsibility to anyone.

14940674 May 15, 2012 8:55 pm

It doesn't say it on GOES, but you should pop into a CBP office to have your new passport confirmed by an officer. Otherwise you will be flagged for secondary the next time you use your NEXUS or GE memberships, as they need to confirm your new passport.

sdsearch Jul 26, 2012 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by 14940674 (Post 18582943)
It doesn't say it on GOES, but you should pop into a CBP office to have your new passport confirmed by an officer. Otherwise you will be flagged for secondary the next time you use your NEXUS or GE memberships, as they need to confirm your new passport.

Is visiting US CBP all that's necessary for NEXUS? Ie, does their confirmation propagate to Canada? Or does a NEXUS holder (with a new passport) have to also visit a Canadian office the next time they visit Canada?

14940674 Jul 26, 2012 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 19008421)
Is visiting US CBP all that's necessary for NEXUS? Ie, does their confirmation propagate to Canada? Or does a NEXUS holder (with a new passport) have to also visit a Canadian office the next time they visit Canada?

I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if only one country's scanning is required to authenticate the new document. Since the kiosks operate using a common computer system, and both countries have access to that computer system, either one should be able to scan the new passport.

slickvik Jul 15, 2013 11:21 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 19008421)

I'm wondering the same thing. I had my new passport updated at IAH Global Entry Enrollment Centre yesterday.