Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

USA Today.com - TSA tests ID scanning machines at IAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...asses/671390/1

I guess we all knew or suspected this was coming.

Just another ridiculous waste of taxpayer money on machines to fix a problem created by incompetent TSOs who are not able to do a job that isn't needed in the first place, namely Travel Document Checker.

I wonder if any former TSA or DHS bigwigs have any involvement with the company that manufactures and sells these machines?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by WillCAD
http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...asses/671390/1

I guess we all knew or suspected this was coming.

Just another ridiculous waste of taxpayer money on machines to fix a problem created by incompetent TSOs who are not able to do a job that isn't needed in the first place, namely Travel Document Checker.

I wonder if any former TSA or DHS bigwigs have any involvement with the company that manufactures and sells these machines?
And how exactly is this making my flight safer? (rhetorical question)
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The first 30 machines cost $3.2 million, Soule said. Three companies – BAE Systems Information Solutions, Trans Digital Technologies and NCR Government Systems -- provided the initial machines that were customized for the TSA.
So these things cost mre than $100k per machine. At that price its' far cheaper to hire a few more of the thousands standing around to perform this unnecessary job.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:08 pm

Betcha dime and dollar that their new fancy machines can't read a DHS>CBP>NEXUS card!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
So these things cost mre than $100k per machine. At that price its' far cheaper to hire a few more of the thousands standing around to perform this unnecessary job.
To be fair ... that cost probably includes the development costs. One would hope that further units would cost less, as economies of scale come into play.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:17 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Now being a machine-oops, I meant a computer this prompts me to wonder will the information be stored or not.....

The computer scans the materials and checks to make sure such security features as holograms and bar codes are present.
The passengers' information from the ID and boarding pass is displayed on the computer screen, along with their photo scanned from their ID. The machine compares all the data collected from the front and back of the ID and the boarding pass. If everything matches, the TSA agent is then prompted to allow the passenger to proceed.
But wait, the TSA says.....

The machines do not save the information collected once the agent clears the data to advance to the next passenger,
Now where have I heard that before?

But you would think that with our tax dollars hard at work making lobbyists rich, you would think that this very basic part would/should be included as this is the only part of this mishegas that makes any sense and should be done

passenger data is not checked against any watch lists or other databases.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: United
It the machine does the comparing, why do we need the TDC?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
They need someone to break the machines!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
What's to compare?

The machine compares all the data collected from the front and back of the ID and the boarding pass.
A Driving License (the most common ID TSA sees for domestic flights, guessing probably 95% of ordinary pax) does not contain a frequent flyer number, ticket number, airline name, destination, flight number, flight date, gate number, boarding time, passenger record number, elite status, cabin class or seat number.

A boarding pass does not contain an address, photo, gender, date of birth (unless TSA starts requiring this secure fright stuff on every BP), DL number, name of state where a person's DL was issued, or categories of motor vehicles a person is authorized to operate by their license to drive.

They say the machines will be stand alone devices not hooked to any datbases to get and compare such info.

That leaves only the NAME to compare. First, Middle Last, perhaps in a different order on the two items.

TSA is admitting the TDCs cannot do this mentally, after reading the name off both the BP and ID, because they want to buy a machine to compare the names.

Why not just hire some TDCs who can read and process three words mentally?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Combat Medic
To do the magic squiggles and ask you to say your name out loud....
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
To be fair ... that cost probably includes the development costs. One would hope that further units would cost less, as economies of scale come into play.
If they'd started at Amazon they'd find a gd start for about $600. Bars have been using these things for years.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
But wait, the TSA says.....
Quote:
The machines do not save the information collected once the agent clears the data to advance to the next passenger,
Quote:
passenger data is not checked against any watch lists or other databases.
I am waiting for someone to indicate that the machines have the capability to instantaneously SEND the scanned data to another facility where it will THEN be DECODED, SAVED and EVALUATED by ANOTHER agency.
Possibly to the National Security Agencies multi-billion dollar data center being built in Bluffdale UT.
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...tacenter/all/1
Old Apr 14, 2012, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
If they'd started at Amazon they'd find a gd start for about $600. Bars have been using these things for years.
And I'd be surprised if those bar-friendly machines recognized a Nexus card ... which every FTer knows is the ultimate ID to use at a checkpoint.

But your main point --- the "not invented here" syndrome --- is not without merit.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
And I'd be surprised if those bar-friendly machines recognized a Nexus card ... which every FTer knows is the ultimate ID to use at a checkpoint.
Minor software update.

The bigger problem is that Chertoff and the other ex-TSA carpetbaggers don't have their finger in that pie, so it can't happen.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:57 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
What a freaking waste of money.

It is also going to slow down the checkpoints even more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.