Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Safety of Chemicals in Glue+Paint at New Hotels

Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Hello

I did a search but couldn't find any threads on this issue.

I have heard that the chemicals in glue and paint at new hotels are particularly dangerous for babies.

Does anyone have further information about this? What is a safe period to wait before staying at a newly-constructed property?

Thanks
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Country? Materials? Lots of variables out there....
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

China -- in particular some new Westins (Chongqing and Qingdao)
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by polarpacific
China -- in particular some new Westins (Chongqing and Qingdao)
China? All bets are off then. There are essentially no enforced standards for China. It could be anything from low VOC materials that is useable from day one to some cheap contractor using lead paint that will never be safe. It could claim to be one and yet actually be the other.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
China? All bets are off then. There are essentially no enforced standards for China. It could be anything from low VOC materials that is useable from day one to some cheap contractor using lead paint that will never be safe. It could claim to be one and yet actually be the other.
There are places in China that opening the window for ventilation may be as dangerous as the paint and glue in the room.

Kidding aside, there are potentially nasty chemicals used in construction of commercial spaces and industrial facilities that should never be used in sleeping areas or domiciles, but they are very efficient and work well. With no control, there is a possibility that any of these could be used.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.