In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
In case you didn't see these

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...s-hunt-co.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...ible-belt.html
Old Mar 17, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
http://www.rei.com/category/40005927

Many of REI's belts are a nylon strip with a plastic or composite friction buckle. As long as I don't tuck my shirt in, the TSOs never know (although I have been chastised during a pat-down in the past for leaving my belt on).

As for shoes, here's an easy-off, easy-on pair that just involves pulling a strap:
http://www.ecco.com/en-XI/Ecco/Explo...6004-56858?i=7

Ecco's are also my favorite shoes in terms of comfort. They're not terribly expensive, they last forever (my first pair held up for three years, and the only reason I'm not still wearing it is because I never bothered to mail it in and get the laces fixed), and they're incredibly well-designed.

Also, if you want to thoroughly confuse a TSO, I suggest wearing these:
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

I had an interesting conversation with a TSO once while wearing a pair of their Classic design through a checkpoint. I approached the WTMD, and he looked down at my feet and asked what they were with a look of utter confusion, bordering on dismay, on his face. I replied, "Fivefingers." To my surprise, instead of telling me to take them off, he asked if they were "some kind of sock or something." I told him that I honestly wasn't sure myself, but they sure are comfortable. He shook his head and reluctantly waved me through.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
Airport Friendly??? No such thing. Belts and shoes have to be removed. Slip on shoes and carry a shoe horn. As far as a belt goes, I pick one with an easy buckle.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Houston.Business
Airport Friendly??? No such thing. Belts and shoes have to be removed.
Unless you buy a belt that has no metal and leave your shirt untucked...
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
That's OK for the Sheeple, but they'll make you take it off with an opt-out.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 3:33 pm

That's OK for the Sheeple, but they'll make you take it off with an opt-out.
As long as I don't tuck my shirt in, the TSOs never know (although I have been chastised during a pat-down in the past for leaving my belt on).
They've never once made me take it off during an opt-out. They've just grumbled about how you're supposed to take your belt off, at which point I play dumb and say that the guy at the clothing store told me I could leave it on because it didn't have any metal in it. Guess I'm not shopping there again!
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: None anymore
Airport Friendly??? No such thing. Belts and shoes have to be removed. Slip on shoes and carry a shoe horn. As far as a belt goes, I pick one with an easy buckle.
+1 on the untucked shirt + non-metallic buckle
Claim diabetic and shoes can stay on
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Flahusky
Claim diabetic and shoes can stay on
You know, I've given that one a lot of thought, and decided I'd rather just take off my shoes. For one, if I say "medical reasons" when asked why I'm not taking my shoes off, it invites the "what reason is that?" question. If I answer diabetes and the TSO has half a functioning brain cell, they'll ask why I didn't take my insulin and syringes out of my carry-on for inspection. If I have a TSO with no functioning brain cells left, they'll likely ask me to explain, and I'll refuse on HIPAA grounds, and it would quickly become a "do you want to fly today?" situation.

Long story short, the worst thing that could happen if you leave your belt on is the TSO telling you that you're a bad little sheep. The worst thing that could happen by refusing to take your shoes off on (imaginary) medical grounds is a TSO denying you passage across the safety moat and an airport police officer finding some trumped-up reason to make your day miserable for lying to a TSO.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been told by a TSO on this site that belt removal became mandatory on 20 February, 2012.

Suspender removal is not mandatory.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Tom M.
Suspender removal is not mandatory.
Unless the screener thinks otherwise.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:16 am

Or just fly from non-US airports (or in Canada, fly domestic or international) Even my vast array of embellished (usually with some form of metal) ballet flats do not alarm the WTMD.

Shoe removal is a US thing, thankfully. (Although every single week I see shoe-removers outside the US, who refuse to follow instructions NOT to remove their shoes!)
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:32 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
plerase confine comments to practical issues

advice, etc.

thanks

squeakr

co Mod TS/S
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
TSA Airport Friendly Black Nylon Security Belt

The problem is at LHR they always ask if I have a belt on and I hate to lie.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
You know, I've given that one a lot of thought, and decided I'd rather just take off my shoes. For one, if I say "medical reasons" when asked why I'm not taking my shoes off, it invites the "what reason is that?" question. If I answer diabetes and the TSO has half a functioning brain cell, they'll ask why I didn't take my insulin and syringes out of my carry-on for inspection. If I have a TSO with no functioning brain cells left, they'll likely ask me to explain, and I'll refuse on HIPAA grounds, and it would quickly become a "do you want to fly today?" situation.

Long story short, the worst thing that could happen if you leave your belt on is the TSO telling you that you're a bad little sheep. The worst thing that could happen by refusing to take your shoes off on (imaginary) medical grounds is a TSO denying you passage across the safety moat and an airport police officer finding some trumped-up reason to make your day miserable for lying to a TSO.
You're not obligated to tell the TSA anything beyond "medical condition". If they ask what the condition, you just tell them it's private and that the specific nature of the condition is not relevant beyond having to keep your shoes on or whatever.

Originally Posted by squeakr
Suggest away!

squeakr

co-Mod TS/S
Honestly, none of my regular (dress, jeans) belts have ever alarmed the WTMD. Just standard metal buckles, nothing too big.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.