Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ease of avoiding NoS at CLT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Ease of avoiding NoS at CLT

I have a flight this summer departing from CLT; almost definitely on USAir. I've never departed or arrived CLT, but I've transferred at CLT countless times, so I'm well aware that once you're airside, you can get to any gate.

According to tsastatus.net, the C checkpoint is safe.

Question: when I check in for my flight, I will obviously intentionally seek out the C checkpoint. How far might I have to walk to do this? And will the TDC care if my BP shows my departure gate in a concourse other than C?

Thanks!

(Second question: I also have a departure from PHL this summer, and apparently, D is the only safe checkpoint. If my flight check-in is in another terminal, can I walk, landside, from check-in to terminal D without going outside?)

Last edited by mahohmei; Mar 14, 2012 at 8:44 pm
Old Mar 14, 2012, 8:53 pm

I've never been to CLT, so I can't comment on that. However, I have been through PHL recently and can confirm that all 14 lanes of the D/E checkpoint are NOS-free. It's a beautiful sight! All concourse except for F are connected airside. As for walking landside, it depends on what terminal you're coming from...
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
For CLT use the C checkpoint no "nude o scopes". You may use any checkpoint they don't care & every thing is close. Enjoy.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
C is in the middle of the airport, and it is easy to access all terminals from this checkpoint... I don't think anywhere is more than about a 10-15 minute casual walk from there. If you wind up on DL, you can stay to the far right of checkpoint A which also does not have a NoS (the other lines have the dreaded backscatter).
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:03 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Silver
On the topic of CLT, what about when connecting from an international flight? Do they have the NoSes when you clear security after going through Customs?

Thanks,
Ottermatic
Old Mar 16, 2012, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Ottermatic
On the topic of CLT, what about when connecting from an international flight? Do they have the NoSes when you clear security after going through Customs?

Thanks,
Ottermatic
Customs/Immigration exits out to the baggage claim area, and you have to go back up to the departures level to re-clear security for the connecting flight.

The original exit from customs back to the terminal was closed off several years ago when the expansion of D-concourse was completed.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CLTmech
Customs/Immigration exits out to the baggage claim area, and you have to go back up to the departures level to re-clear security for the connecting flight.

The original exit from customs back to the terminal was closed off several years ago when the expansion of D-concourse was completed.
In other words, when you reclear, you can choose Area C and miss the NOS.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by CLTmech

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
In other words, when you reclear, you can choose Area C and miss the NOS.
Brilliant. Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.

Ottermatic
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: I miss US Airways
Originally Posted by mahohmei
(Second question: I also have a departure from PHL this summer, and apparently, D is the only safe checkpoint. If my flight check-in is in another terminal, can I walk, landside, from check-in to terminal D without going outside?)
I believe A-East is a safe checkpoint as well.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by skidv25
I've never been to CLT, so I can't comment on that. However, I have been through PHL recently and can confirm that all 14 lanes of the D/E checkpoint are NOS-free. It's a beautiful sight! All concourse except for F are connected airside. As for walking landside, it depends on what terminal you're coming from...
F at PHL is connected air side by shuttle buses from terminals A and C
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NY-FLA
F at PHL is connected air side by shuttle buses from terminals A and C
Yep...I've used that bus while transferring flights at PHL in August 2011.

As I like to point out: did airside buses even exist before 9/11? They seem like a quick-fix patch put in place to allow transferring passengers to avoid the TSA.

I never did an inter-terminal transfer before 9/11, but I'd think that having to exit and re-enter security was no big deal, considering that I happily did it many times to pick up/drop off loved ones at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.