Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

US ESTA - New One Required After Change of Country of Residence?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*G, BA, DL

I am flying to the US from the UK in a week's time. I have an ESTA for travel to the United States under the VWP. It will not expire till later this year. However, there is a change in the country where I live - from my home country (VWP eligible) to the UK, where I am a student. Does this mean I have to apply for a new ESTA?

Everything else remains the same - only 'country where you live' has changed
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by SAllen
I am flying to the US from the UK in a week's time. I have an ESTA for travel to the United States under the VWP. It will not expire till later this year. However, there is a change in the country where I live - from my home country (VWP eligible) to the UK, where I am a student. Does this mean I have to apply for a new ESTA?

Everything else remains the same - only 'country where you live' has changed
I'd recommend asking this question somewhere else rather than in the UA forum; we're not experts on this, and asking for advice on dealing with INS bureaucracy on the internet is iffy at the best of times.

However, I will note that the INS doesn't necessarily interpret "country where you live" in the same way that a sane person would. I, for instance, have lived in the United States for the last six years, but the "country where I live" is my home country (Australia). I tried putting "United States" there once, years ago, but the border guy made me change it; I'm merely a visitor in the United States on a succession of J1 and E3 visas, I do not officially "live" here. (Though I still pay taxes here at resident rates ).
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jorgen
I'd recommend asking this question somewhere else rather than in the UA forum; we're not experts on this, and asking for advice on dealing with INS bureaucracy on the internet is iffy at the best of times.

However, I will note that the INS doesn't necessarily interpret "country where you live" in the same way that a sane person would. I, for instance, have lived in the United States for the last six years, but the "country where I live" is my home country (Australia). I tried putting "United States" there once, years ago, but the border guy made me change it; I'm merely a visitor in the United States on a succession of J1 and E3 visas, I do not officially "live" here. (Though I still pay taxes here at resident rates ).
Noted. Sorry, I only asked this cos I am flying UA to the US. A bit of stretch I know. But it's amazing you are not considered to be living in the US
Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:00 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'll move this to a more appropriate forum (along with a less-vague thread title) where the question is more topical.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United MileagePlus Forum
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:19 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

No, you do not need a new ESTA. Per the DHS website, your ESTA is valid for 2 years or until your passport expires. There is no mention of residence. If you have changed your country of citizenship then you would need a new ESTA to go with your new passport.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
No, you do not need a new ESTA. Per the DHS website, your ESTA is valid for 2 years or until your passport expires. There is no mention of residence. If you have changed your country of citizenship then you would need a new ESTA to go with your new passport.
Hi thanks for this. I can't update this field to reflect where I live now however. Does this matter? The complicating thing is come summer, when this ESTA is still valid, I will be back in my home country and won't physically live in the UK anymore!

Can I just print this and show it to the border agent? https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/WebHel...elp_1.htm#APA6.

Ps: And no, there's been no change of citizenship. Nothing has changed except where I physically reside. The esta application is also dated September 2010
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Update

Just an update to confirm that no new esta required if (only) country of residence has changed. I got through okay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.