Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Passports are now not valid for TSA security for domestic flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passports are now not valid for TSA security for domestic flights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chollie
So we'd still be stuck with the other 90%?
That would be awfully high IMO.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:05 pm
RKG

Originally Posted by chollie
So we'd still be stuck with the other 90%?
The more common definition of decimate:

Verb:

Kill, destroy, or remove a large percentage of.

Old Feb 22, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
Originally Posted by stifle
It often takes longer to check a passport, because the clerk has to page through it to make sure there's nothing suspicious in it.
But how would they know if something was suspicious?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by yknot
If they don't understand it, then it must be suspicious (and suspicious might mean 'the big catch', and 'the big catch' might mean you get to be on GMA and youtube!)
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by yknot
If it's written in non-Roman letters. Like that squiggle writing that them furrin terr'ists use.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 6:37 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
If it's written in non-Roman letters. Like that squiggle writing that them furrin terr'ists use.
Oh, no!

I have seen that squiggle writing. I have to say something. It was written right on my boarding pass by someone in a blue shirt with a shiny badge.

Now, if I can just find that number. . .

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Feb 23, 2012 at 7:00 am
Old Feb 23, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Or maybe those Arabic numbers?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:11 am

Recently I had a TSA employee ask for a driver's license (instead of my Passport) as I was traveling domestically, I responded that I left my driver's license at home as I was not intending to drive on this trip.

He said do you have any other form of picture ID, I responded that I have my COSTCO card, to which he said, let me see that. I handed him my really old COSTCO card, he looked at it, handed it back to me and said have a nice trip.

Very odd,
Dan
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:26 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by dan1431
Recently I had a TSA employee ask for a driver's license (instead of my Passport) as I was traveling domestically, I responded that I left my driver's license at home as I was not intending to drive on this trip.

He said do you have any other form of picture ID, I responded that I have my COSTCO card, to which he said, let me see that. I handed him my really old COSTCO card, he looked at it, handed it back to me and said have a nice trip.

Very odd,
Dan
Now, don't you feel safer?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I used my American passport to get through Security on my JFK-ATL flight with no problem -- but, then again, New Yorkers consider everything south of DC to be a foreign nation.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:44 am

It often takes longer to check a passport, because the clerk has to page through it to make sure there's nothing suspicious in it.
i've NEVER had a TDC thumb through my passport. they look at the photo page, shine the fancy light on it and then we're done
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by squatch
i've NEVER had a TDC thumb through my passport. they look at the photo page, shine the fancy light on it and then we're done
I have - at IAD and BOS. I imagine that at BOS these days you'd get interrogated about where you'd been. Passport card avoids that.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Now, don't you feel safer?
Oh so much safer

My COSTCO card has more than once been inspected by TSA, oddly that is almost as good as Gov't issued Picture ID.

Dan
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
We've been told by a TSA employee that there is some sort of security feature inside the book. A number of us have looked, in both current and expired passports, for this feature but have not found it.

Originally Posted by dan1431
My COSTCO card has more than once been inspected by TSA, oddly that is almost as good as Gov't issued Picture ID.
The kicker is getting a signed souvenir.

Last edited by N965VJ; Feb 23, 2012 at 1:24 pm
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ
We've been told by a TSA employee that there is some sort of security feature inside the book. A number of us have looked, in both current and expired passports, for this feature but have not found it.

The kicker is getting a signed souvenir.
Now that is cool.

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.