Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety Issues
Sign in using an external account

Old Feb 1, 12, 3:02 pm   #1

how many times are you allowed to cross the US/Canada border by car each day?

I recently visited Detroit but stayed at a Windsor hotel. It was the only hotel with reward stay availability for my entire stay.

The drive from Windsor to Detroit was pretty short, sort of like from New Jersey to New York City. The only slow part is getting past the US and Canadian border agent. I ended up crossing over only once a day, except for one day when I crossed back and forth 4 times. That apparently me got me noticed because they made me go to secondary. Since I had nothing to hide, I wasn't worried. I just explained the reason for so many crossings that day and I was allowed to go on my way. However, something the CBP agent said stuck in my mind. Exact quote: "you are only allowed to cross the border twice every 24 hours"

Is there really a law or regulation that says that?
MissyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 12, 3:35 pm   #2

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond
No way is that correct. Friends have a house in Thousand Islands, on the Canadian side, and they often do shopping, go to dinner, etc., on the US side. People cross back and forth many, many times during one day.

There are also people in Vermont who do shopping in Canada, and I'd bet there are some settlements along the Texas/ Mexico border where people cross multiple times.
fastflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 12, 5:23 pm   #3
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyH View Post
I ended up crossing over only once a day, except for one day when I crossed back and forth 4 times.

"you are only allowed to cross the border twice every 24 hours"

Is there really a law or regulation that says that?
If that is the regulation, then how did you cross 4 times?

My guess is that he meant to say that you are only allowed to cross the border twice every 24 hours without a secondary screening.
cbn42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 12, 6:30 pm   #4

Programs: AC SE
He made it up.
fly-yul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 12, 7:04 pm   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly-yul View Post
He made it up.
a government employee making up stuff? how is that even possible?
Old Feb 1, 12, 9:03 pm   #6
mkt

Programs: AA PLT; B6 Mosaic; CM/UA 1P; VS Silver
I've crossed 6 times in a day without consequence...
Old Feb 2, 12, 4:01 am   #7

Programs: Frontier EarlyReturns Summit, DL GM
I've crossed the San Diego/Tijuana border by foot four times in one day (once there, once back, then there again when I realized I'd left my cell phone at a TJ restaurant, then back) without incident.
T.J. Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 12, 6:02 am   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-Gold, UA-1K, PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.4MM-lite, COUA-1.0MM-BIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkt View Post
I've crossed 6 times in a day without consequence...
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. Bender View Post
I've crossed the San Diego/Tijuana border by foot four times in one day (once there, once back, then there again when I realized I'd left my cell phone at a TJ restaurant, then back) without incident.
Devil's Advocacy: you are both US citizens or LPRs right? So you have an absolute right to cross as often as you want. I gather OP is not a citizen or LPR of the US.
Old Feb 2, 12, 6:03 am   #9

Programs: Frontier EarlyReturns Summit, DL GM
Yes, I am a US citizen. I could see things being different if one is here on a visa.
T.J. Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 12, 8:18 am   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mre5765 View Post
Devil's Advocacy: you are both US citizens or LPRs right? So you have an absolute right to cross as often as you want. I gather OP is not a citizen or LPR of the US.
OP here.... I'm a US citizen with a US passport(book & card).
Old Feb 2, 12, 10:17 am   #11
mkt

Programs: AA PLT; B6 Mosaic; CM/UA 1P; VS Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mre5765 View Post
US citizen, but I verbally declare Puerto Rican citizenship if asked by CBP every time I re enter US soil as a moral and political point.
Old Feb 2, 12, 7:01 pm   #12

Programs: United Plat, AA (no more status), Southwest RR, Alitalia MM, Hilton gold, Accor something or other
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkt View Post
US citizen, but I verbally declare Puerto Rican citizenship if asked by CBP every time I re enter US soil as a moral and political point.
Good for you, I do the same thing but say Republic of Texas.

This is a good question for Firebug? Is there a reg on that and if so, where is it?
Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 2, 12, 7:15 pm   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian View Post
Good for you, I do the same thing but say Republic of Texas.

This is a good question for Firebug? Is there a reg on that and if so, where is it?
Thanks in advance.
Can I declare that I'm a citizen of the USA and a subject of the Kingdom of Hawai'i? (just like Texas... another country annexed by the United States)
Old Feb 2, 12, 7:52 pm   #14

Programs: United Plat, AA (no more status), Southwest RR, Alitalia MM, Hilton gold, Accor something or other
Quote:
Can I declare that I'm a citizen of the USA and a subject of the Kingdom of Hawai'i? (just like Texas... another country annexed by the United States)
I've seen people do it twice. I saw quite the heated exchange at ATL once with a Hawai'ian citizen over the issue.

I have talked to CBP agents in Texas who see it all the time and don't bat an eyelash over it. Notoriously horrid CBP locations like MIA, or DET might be different.
Old Feb 2, 12, 8:23 pm   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-Gold, UA-1K, PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.4MM-lite, COUA-1.0MM-BIS
Quote:
OP here.... I'm a US citizen with a US passport(book & card).
Lol. Then you should have told the American CBP officer to pound sand. You've an absolute right to enter your country.

No doubt FB will explain why I am wrong. Lol.