Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Interview...time required?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Has anyone taken advantage of the AMEX global entry benefit?

How long did the interview take?

At ORD, I'm assuming the office is landside.

They open at 9AM, I have a flight at 9:50. Just want to figure out if I can squeeze it in.

Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by igopogo

They open at 9AM, I have a flight at 9:50. Just want to figure out if I can squeeze it in.

Thanks!
My interview at Washington-Dulles took about 15 minutes (including a 5-minute video they make you watch.) Seems like you're cutting it very close, considering your flight time.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:14 am

I did my interview at ORD about a month ago and it took about 20 minutes total. They didn't make me watch a video. A few quick questions about my job and travel habits and a demonstration on how to use the kiosk, that was it.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
You will need to clear security after the interview to get to your gate. Seems like a pretty tight schedule with a chance for problems.

The interview itself does not take long, as others have indicated.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Okay, I'm convinced that it won't work based on the schedules. Anyone know if they will consider doing the interview without an appointment? I'm thinking, maybe my flight is delayed. I don't want to be a jerk and book an interview I likely won't use.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
I doubt that you'll get an interview without an appointment. I had mine at LAX a couple of weeks ago and arrived an hour early so asked if there had perhaps been a cancellation. She laughed and said no one ever cancels these appointments.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
You guys were interviewed? I did it at the Atlanta port office (the second Atlanta location, not at ATL). I got there 20 minutes early, they showed me into the back, and an agent showed two of us how to use the kiosk together and repeatedly reminded us that we should never wait unless we're behind another person with the magic sticker in their passport. Then another agent asked me if I'd ever been arrested and if I'd be using it more for business or pleasure. I circled that I'd not been arrested, initialed the form, and I was back on I-75 northbound well before my "interview" slot was even scheduled to begin.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
20 minutes including video at SJU - the most difficult part for me was finding the agent and location for the interview. SJU is notorious for misinformation but once I got there the fellow was friendly and accommodating.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.

Thanks!
my interview was about 10 minutes, but I think you are cutting it too close. I wouldn't assume your interview will start instantly at 0900.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
http://globalentry.gov/pdfs/ORD-Chic...ent-Center.pdf

ORD office is in terminal 5.

http://www.ohare.com/PDF/PassengerIn...1terminal5.pdf

As I recall, it's basically in the location on this map that shows US Customs and is outside of the secure area.

As everyone else has mentioned, the "interview" is pretty short. Basically asking you to answer a few questions again, ask you why you want it. But at the time of the interview, you've already been cleared. Seems pointless really.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Amex Plat
I did my interview a couple of months ago at SFO. Same as others... about 20 minutes for the interview, stickering, and using the kiosk.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by wripro
I doubt that you'll get an interview without an appointment. I had mine at LAX a couple of weeks ago and arrived an hour early so asked if there had perhaps been a cancellation. She laughed and said no one ever cancels these appointments.
... and yet, when I showed up an hour early in ATL,
they took me straight in,
and I was out in 20 minutes, also.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
You guys are lucky.

I had my interview at the San Diego/Mexico border and it took a little over an hour. I didn't even get the chance to watch a video or have a demonstration of the kiosk (they told me to go online to learn how to use the kiosk.)
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:30 pm

Anyone know if they will consider doing the interview without an appointment?
I seriously doubt it. I think they vet you before the appt for approval to begin with.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Ritz
I seriously doubt it. I think they vet you before the appt for approval to begin with.
If you've been informed you can schedule an interview, the vetting's all done as far as I can tell. Thus, you might luck out with scheduling an interview and showing up on an earlier date. Definitely don't bother showing up until the email comes through for the provisional approval.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.