How to remove stickers from passports?

Old Oct 1, 2011, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Put the PP under a towel and iron it until it warms the glue. Then peel them off. Use alcohol or Goo Gone for the residual glue.
careful, the iron can effect the glue in the passport, and delaminate some of the important stuff

i had a mutilated passport as a result! bad news
Old Oct 1, 2011, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Goo Gone all the way! Amazing product.

I don't recommend gasoline because it might cause you to alarm the ETD machine if the TSO swabs your passport.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Forgot to mention that I always take off those annoying ICTS stickers as soon as the trip is over.

Although the passport is government property and legally cannot be altered/notated except by officers of the USA or foreign governments in connection with official matters, those ICTS stickers were affixed by private security personnel under contract with the airlines, so they are technically violating the law as well by attaching anything to my passport. I feel I can remove the stickers with impunity.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
After the paper is ripped off, a dab of WD-40 on a paper towel will remove the glue, but it will still smell like WD-40.

Drug Stores have an adhesive remover that smells quite pleasant.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA MM
Fingernail on fresh sticker.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage, Flying Blue, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by ESpen36

Forgot to mention that I always take off those annoying ICTS stickers as soon as the trip is over.

Although the passport is government property and legally cannot be altered/notated except by officers of the USA or foreign governments in connection with official matters, those ICTS stickers were affixed by private security personnel under contract with the airlines, so they are technically violating the law as well by attaching anything to my passport. I feel I can remove the stickers with impunity.
I couldn't agree more! that's exactly what I have always thought. I would love to ask passport issuing government agencies around the world for their opinion. Anyway, a clear plastic passport case does the trick for me.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL NWA UA
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Put the PP under a towel and iron it until it warms the glue. Then peel them off. Use alcohol or Goo Gone for the residual glue.
Side note: Using iron also works well for indentations in carpet after you move furniture. they'll fluff right up.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I keep my passport in a cover, so don't have to worry about those godawful "security checked" stickers, and if I'm checking luggage I get the check-in agent not to put the stickers on it in the first place. What are the former stickers even for anyway?
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Denatured (or other) alcohol usually works fine, and I don't have to worry about a machine "sniffing" hydrocarbons (e.g. gasoline, lighter fluid, etc.) and getting a secondary.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:29 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
I don't recommend gasoline because it might cause you to alarm the ETD machine if the TSO swabs your passport.
It's looking for much more sophisticated things than simple hydrocarbons. Not a problem

Don't use gasoline for a solvent or safety reasons , though!
Old May 1, 2013, 4:25 am

Most of these responses seem to be helpful hints about how to physically remove the sticker, however I haven't found these practical answers:

1. Does the sticker peel off easily provided you remove it right away?
2. If so, is there any reason I should not peel it off my passport (immediately) and affix it to my boarding pass instead?

As far as I can tell, the ICTS stickers (or whoever does the security questioning) have nothing to do with my passport; security or gate people just need to see that I got the sticker. So, does it matter if it's on the boarding pass instead of the passport? And, is there any issue with my doing this myself, or must I ask the sticker person to do it?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:42 pm

WARNING: Do NOT use alcohol on the back of the passport. I tried a very tiny amount to remove stickers put on the back of mine and the pigment/color of the back starts to come off. Thankfully, it is not noticeable in my case, but you could void your own passport doing this.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
Honestly, I don't remove them. I believe they make it easier to clear security on future trips.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:31 am

This website has a pretty nice summary:

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-t...icker-residue/
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:35 pm

WD40? I just leave the stickers on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.