Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bass Guitar as Carry-On for Delta flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Bass Guitar as Carry-On for Delta flight?

Okay, this isn't anything new, but I'll be travelling soon from ATL -> LGA on an award ticket in less than 2 weeks and I'm planning to bring along my bass guitar: a Fender '62 Jazz. Problem is that I only have one of those BodyGlove gig bags and not a hard case. At most, the case measures 48"x16"x5". My main concern is if it will fit in a coat closet or in the overhead.

I know I'm on a 757 going, and on an MD-88 coming back.

I've read about varying experiences on both United, Continental, and AA, but nothing very specific on Delta flights. I already started taking necessary steps by printing out copies of the TSA regs. on musical instruments, as well as Delta's policies.

Worst case scenario, it gets gate checked, but obviously I want to avoid it if at all possible.

I fly pretty often, but this is the first (and probably the only) time I'm flying with a large item like this.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 4:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage
If you are going on this trip for a professional reason such as a paid performance or a recording session, then I suggest you buy the guitar it's own seat on the flights. It is a fine musical instrument, not a $30 roll-aboard bag, and it should be transported with the same consideration you would extend to a member of your family. If you can not reasonably justify the expense of buying your guitar it's own seat on the flights, then I suggest that you leave the guitar at home.

According to http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ryon/index.jsp:
"Carry-on Baggage Size Restrictions
When oversized bags do not fit in the overhead bins, delays occur. Fees will be applied to the oversized bag if it has to be checked at the gate. To avoid delays as well as fees, follow these size requirements:
Baggage may not exceed 45 linear inches (or 115 cm) in combined length, width, and height.
Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check, which is located near the check-in counters and at the gate and is approximately 22" x 14" x 9" (or 56 x 36 x 23 cm)."
Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Nashville is my home airport, and I see people carrying on guitars all of the time. It is very, very common. The FA's will help fit them in the overheads. But, get a hard case even if you have to borrow or rent one. This is an instrument that requires special care.

I usually fly WN, so their policies may be different. I suggest you contact your airline and get a definitive reply on how to proceed. The extra seat is a good idea, but expensive.

You might want to look into shipping the instrument ahead. Take it to FedEx Office (used to be Kinko's) or a UPS store and get a quote. They will have the right size boxes and ask for insurance in the quote. It will probably be cheaper than an extra seat.

For the airplanes you have indicated, there will be room in the overhead, if they will let you use it. Expect people to want to jam their computer bags on top of it. What I have seen on WN (Southwest) is that the guitar goes in first and then the FA will use the remaining space for jackets, hats, purses and other items to open larger spaces in adjacent areas.

Hard side guitar cases, especially fitted ones, are a good investment. A large bass may be hard to fit. You might be able to save a bit for a good travel case by going to a large sporting goods store, Gander Mountain or Bass Pro, and look at large shotgun or compound bow cases. You may be able to adapt one of these for occasional use and it will likely be less expensive than a fitted guitar case.

Whatever you do, do not check it as luggage. Don't even think about it.

Although it contradicts what I have observed, here is the WN policy. Your airline will likely be similar.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:47 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
you have a '62 Fender Jazz bass and no hard case?

dude, get the to a guitar shop!

Or try one of these...my DH has them for his basses and they are awesome!

http://www.reunionblues.com/default.asp

A hard case is of the best investments you can make for your bass.

About the airplane - I think it's hit or miss depending on the flight and the crew and a host of OTHER factors. Can you buy it a seat?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by sonikku10
Okay, this isn't anything new, but I'll be travelling soon from ATL -> LGA on an award ticket in less than 2 weeks and I'm planning to bring along my bass guitar: a Fender '62 Jazz. Problem is that I only have one of those BodyGlove gig bags and not a hard case. At most, the case measures 48"x16"x5". My main concern is if it will fit in a coat closet or in the overhead.

I know I'm on a 757 going, and on an MD-88 coming back.
At least you're flying with planes that have space, and not an RJ... I sure hope you're not Zone 5 - there won't be any contiguous space available for that long bass.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Nooooo, A Fender 62 jazz in a gig bag on a plane? please don't make us cry at the thought.

My Ibenez is not close to 10% of what your 62 Fender is worth and I carry it in a hard case. I had my 18" enclosure rolled over onto the hard case.

Even if you have DL status and is able to board early and find a bin that can hold your baby there is no guarantee that someone will just toss their carry on in there.

I am fortunate that my bass flying are all TPAC on the 747/777 where there are more options for a bass in a hard case carried on.

Plan for the worse case. Best bet are the shipping quality hard cases; worse case is that you will be asked to check it. I have not use it but one my local music rental shop has Anvil bass guitar shipping case for rent.

I pray that you will not have to write the bass version of this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Last edited by tentseller; Oct 4, 2011 at 8:22 pm
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Sorry, I failed to put in "Reissue" when describing... but it makes no real difference: it's still a big expensive bass.

I too, am surprised I don't have a hard case for it -- but I simply don't travel enough with it to warrant getting one. I'll see what I can do about renting a case for it. Shipping would be my next feasible option.

Thanks for the input and the concern!
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by sonikku10
Sorry, I failed to put in "Reissue" when describing... but it makes no real difference: it's still a big expensive bass. NO KIDDING (Drooling face)

I too, am surprised I don't have a hard case for it -- but I simply don't travel enough with it to warrant getting one. I'll see what I can do about renting a case for it. Shipping would be my next feasible option.

Thanks for the input and the concern!
Shipping UPS or FedEx is safer than check baggage in terms of getting there and the care your shipment is handled.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Timely thread, btw. I was on a flight yesterday where some dude had a guitar in a hard case, as his carryon. He was Group 3 so there were plenty of completely open bins. He snagged one pretty much directly over his seat.

This ended up as a completely full flight, and the last few passengers had to check their carryons. No one complained about his guitar taking up space that could have held 3 or 4 rollaboards.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 5:30 am

quote removed by moderator

What do you suggest in the case of fragile, odd-shaped objects which are larger in some portions that allotted carry-on size such as musical instruments. Do you really think, for example, Stradivariuses should be checked?? Some level of accommodation has to exist.

Last edited by squeakr; Oct 9, 2011 at 8:39 am Reason: quote of deleted post
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
quote removed by moderator

What do you suggest in the case of fragile, odd-shaped objects which are larger in some portions that allotted carry-on size such as musical instruments. Do you really think, for example, Stradivariuses should be checked?? Some level of accommodation has to exist.
I don't for one second suggest that a Stradivarius or any other musical instrument with a padded case that won't fit inside a standard carry-on be checked. As I said earlier in this thread,
Originally Posted by BamaDude
It is a fine musical instrument, not a $30 roll-aboard bag, and it should be transported with the same consideration you would extend to a member of your family. If you can not reasonably justify the expense of buying your guitar it's own seat on the flights, then I suggest that you leave the guitar at home.
To me, it's a simple either/or proposition: Either the buy the over-sized musical instrument it's own seat, or leave it at home.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by BamaDude
I don't for one second suggest that a Stradivarius or any other musical instrument with a padded case that won't fit inside a standard carry-on be checked. As I said earlier in this thread,

To me, it's a simple either/or proposition: Either the buy the over-sized musical instrument it's own seat, or leave it at home.
These instruments are not over size - they fit in the overhead space, and actually occupy a lot less volume than a "standard" carry-on suitcase! Do you really think it is reasonable to force struggling musicians all over the world to pay for extra seats just because if every single person on board decides to take the maximum size carry-on, a musical instrument, because of its unique shape, may make it hard to cram all those bags in there? This should not be a big deal, as apparently it wasn't for the OP.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
These instruments are not over size - they fit in the overhead space, and actually occupy a lot less volume than a "standard" carry-on suitcase! Do you really think it is reasonable to force struggling musicians all over the world to pay for extra seats just because if every single person on board decides to take the maximum size carry-on, a musical instrument, because of its unique shape, may make it hard to cram all those bags in there? This should not be a big deal, as apparently it wasn't for the OP.
If the priceless instrument fits in the sizer and the owner doesn't mind it being jammes into an OH, of course, it's fine. Not up to carrier or other pax to worry about what the carryon item, whether Stradivarius or dirty undewear. However, if the priceless instrument doesn't fit the sizer even though it could be shoe-horned into an overhead, either it gets checked or the owner buys a second seat.

Why should I, if I happen to be the last pax onboard and Mr. Stradivarius has taken up the space which my compliant roll-a-board could have used, making me gate check and then wait 45 mins for it at baggage claim, suffer?

Poor people who can't fit in one seat due to their size need to buy a second seat rather than inconvenience their fellow pax and the same applies to those who travel with an instrument.

Besides - Hard case or not, anybody who puts something which can be seriously damaged from being tossed around in an OH, is irresponsible.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Besides - Hard case or not, anybody who puts something which can be seriously damaged from being tossed around in an OH, is irresponsible.
I'm confused: are you suggesting priceless violins should travel in seats, instead of overhead? Don't you think they would be considerably less safe in a seat (where they would have to be kept upright) than overhead?

This discussion is getting out of hand, and way off topic. I really think US passengers have gotten way too uptight about carry-on specifics. Of course under most circumstances, the personal allotment should be respected, but common sense in some cases should prevail.

Now, if the musician brought an instrument AND a roll-aboard to cram overhead, then I would totally agree with your objection.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:46 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I agree with this poster

This discussion is getting out of hand, and way off topic.

So let's leave it, unless you have any other practical suggestions for how to transport instruments.

thanks

squeakr
co-mod TS/S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.