speculoos and tsa

Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
speculoos and tsa

ok....stupid question time.....

does tsa classify speculoos spread as a gel and deny me bringing it aboard in a carry-on? the jars are glass and it has consistency of nutella. the crunchy version has bits and pieces.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by psychephylax
ok....stupid question time.....

does tsa classify speculoos spread as a gel and deny me bringing it aboard in a carry-on? the jars are glass and it has consistency of nutella. the crunchy version has bits and pieces.
When you used speculoos in the title, I was thinking of the biscuits not the spread and was thinking oh, noooo!

Given past practice, I would think that many TSA staff would consider it a gel and therefore, under the liquids ban.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

if it helps my flight is bru-iad-jfk and I don't remember if you have to go throught the tsa security in iad or just customs.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
if it helps my flight is bru-iad-jfk and I don't remember if you have to go throught the tsa security in iad or just customs.
Flying into any intl gateway in the US and transiting you do have to go through tsa checkpoint. Speculoos spread is like peanut better and would almost certainly get "voluntarily surrendered" from carryon bag.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

*sigh* what is this country coming to....
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:59 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
When you used speculoos in the title, I was thinking of the biscuits not the spread and was thinking oh, noooo!

Given past practice, I would think that many TSA staff would consider it a gel and therefore, under the liquids ban.
I was thinking about something else entirely but yes, I think it will be confiscated have to be surrendered

Yes, you will have to re-clear TSA security at IAD after customs and you will have to either surrender your item or put in your bag and then check your bag
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving this over to the TS/S Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

maybe I will just eat all 5 or 6 jars in front if the tsa agent and have him figure out what to do with me when I go into a diabetic coma.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Never had the stuff, but how does it taste? If it's good, it'll be determined to be a liquid/gel and subject to confiscation voluntary surrender.

Mike
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

it tastes kind of like graham cookies in something delicious. not too sweet...just right
Old Oct 3, 2011, 1:22 am

Programs: M&S E+, Skymiles Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite,
Don't worry, the security screening at BRU won't even let you take it onboard ;-)
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:44 pm

They now sell several versions in the US.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: IC RA
Why don't you place the jars in your checked luggage before re-checking your bags post Customs?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I believe speculoos are actually the cookies (similar in taste to Biscoffs). There are spreads out there made with crunched up speculoos. It IS really good.

If all else fails, hit up a nearby Trader Joe's and pick up some jars. I have a Belgian co-worker and he was thrilled when I gave him a box of the cookies and a jar of the spread for Christmas
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Speculaas is the cookie. Speculoos is the spread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.