Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Additional Costs of a NOS Free Route

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Additional Costs of a NOS Free Route

Has anyone else noticed the additional costs of booking a NOS free itinerary? Example - I need to fly from the Los Angeles area to San Francisco in October. Naturally, I would only want to fly American, Virgin America, or United/Continental to SFO Terminal 2 or 3. In addition, I can only fly from LBG, BUR, or SNA in the LA area. It looks like it's going to cost me $250 to fly non-stop from BUR or SNA on United to SFO. LAX to SFO I could do for $150, but then I risk being groped at LAX. LGB to SFO is $150 on JetBlue, but I risk getting groped at the SFO International Terminal. Basically I'm going to pay $100 for the privilege of getting the WTMD on both ends.

I've also been contemplating how I would fly from the LA area to PHX. Should I go A) Delta from LAX Terminal 5 to PHX Terminal 3, or B) US Air from LGB to PHX Terminal 4?

Last time I flew out of LAX terminal 5, I could use the WTMD lane on the right (but can I count on that regularly?), and of course PHX Terminal 3 has no NOS. Or I could have a 100% chance of a hassle free flight from LGB but what would the chance of me getting the NOS at PHX Terminal 4 these days, 80%?

Anyone else do these kinds of calculations?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bigmac3011
Has anyone else noticed the additional costs of booking a NOS free itinerary? Example - I need to fly from the Los Angeles area to San Francisco in October. Naturally, I would only want to fly American, Virgin America, or United/Continental to SFO Terminal 2 or 3. In addition, I can only fly from LBG, BUR, or SNA in the LA area. It looks like it's going to cost me $250 to fly non-stop from BUR or SNA on United to SFO. LAX to SFO I could do for $150, but then I risk being groped at LAX. LGB to SFO is $150 on JetBlue, but I risk getting groped at the SFO International Terminal. Basically I'm going to pay $100 for the privilege of getting the WTMD on both ends.

I've also been contemplating how I would fly from the LA area to PHX. Should I go A) Delta from LAX Terminal 5 to PHX Terminal 3, or B) US Air from LGB to PHX Terminal 4?

Last time I flew out of LAX terminal 5, I could use the WTMD lane on the right (but can I count on that regularly?), and of course PHX Terminal 3 has no NOS. Or I could have a 100% chance of a hassle free flight from LGB but what would the chance of me getting the NOS at PHX Terminal 4 these days, 80%?

I do these kinds of calculations.

I haven't taken a single trip in 2011 where I HAVEN'T thought about NOS as the first concern when deciding where or if to travel.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by TXagogo
I do these kinds of calculations.

I haven't taken a single trip in 2011 where I HAVEN'T thought about NOS as the first concern when deciding where or if to travel.
I wish I ~could~ do these kinds of calculations. My husband is an involuntary medical opt-opt of NOS due to an inability to "assume the position" and is unable to walk through an ordinary metal detector. I am unable to believe that this man (a former fighter pilot himself) must now be necessarily groped in order to safely board an aircraft. My mind simply cannot wrap around the concept. Oh well... no honeymoon for us!

Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:20 pm

I'm trying to get from Baltimore to Buffalo without being sexually abused next month. The Amtrak train there is a no-brainer, but the train home is very inconveniently scheduled. So I'm talking my hosts into getting me a very expensive one-way car rental so that I can drive home. Protecting myself from blueshirts is indeed expensive. Too bad for the airlines who won't see a penny. I wish the airlines would stand up for their customers instead of standing by watching as children and adults get pointlessly molested.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Southwest has $59 OW fares in California for October. LAX to SFO, and SNA to SFO. OAK also included. ONT is not.

Looks like you can get cheap (if you can stand WN) and miss NOS at least on one end.

LAX-PHX and SNA-PHX is also showing $59 OW fares for October. BUR-PHX and ONT-PHX (NOS both ends) is at $49 OW.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP

Delta at LAX can also be accessed from Terminal 6. There are three lanes there, the farthest left is NOS-free.

PHX Terminal 4 nowadays has a love affair with the NOS. 80% sounds unfortunately too low to me. I try to fly Delta out of PHX as much as possible to avoid it.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would check out the web site in my signature: www.tsastatus.net. I have zero financial interest in them. But, it is a great source of current self opt-out information. Depending upon cost, I would be willing to accept a certain amount of risk in being able to self-opt out versus a significantly higher cost at NoS-free airports..
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:11 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
All of my flight itineraries take into consideration the presence/absence of NoSs and/or high probability of doing an SDOO at the departure airports of each segment. I watch fares for weeks ahead in order to grab a low fare that involves airports without NoSs or airports that allow likely SDOO "security".

When it comes to having family members accompany me, NO FLIGHT ITINERARY is booked unless the airports will meet these criteria.

Thanks for nothing, TSA.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:17 am

FWIW, airports such as SNA, LGB, and ONT have long been "preferred" airports for the West Coast. It is not unusual for their fares to be higher than LAX into/out of many markets, not just intra-CA.

Though, I wouldn't be surprised if bookings were higher out of SNA and LGB to avoid NoS. As NRSA I've noticed that it's ridiculously impossible to use those airports now, as opposed to previously when it was only slight impossible pre-NoS.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Southwest has $59 OW fares in California for October. LAX to SFO, and SNA to SFO. OAK also included. ONT is not.

Looks like you can get cheap (if you can stand WN) and miss NOS at least on one end.
JetBlue LGB-OAK r/t $140 all-in. Likely no body scanners either way.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:34 pm

Tucson, 2 hour drive to Phoenix, has no nude-o-scopes.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Tucson, 2 hour drive to Phoenix, has no nude-o-scopes.
+1. Parking is cheaper, too. SFO on WN/US is a snap. Only one MMW located right in the middle of the CP.

OAK T1 where B6 is has one, maybe two backscatters. The WN side has three.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.