Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Updating Your Delta Profile for New TSA Trusted Traveler Program

Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

My base airport is DTW which is going to be a pilot for the new TSA trusted traveler program. I am a US citizen, Delta Gold, Nexus, and Global Entry. I should qualify, but I can't figure out how to enter my CBP Profile Number into my Delta account. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
My base airport is DTW which is going to be a pilot for the new TSA trusted traveler program. I am a US citizen, Delta Gold, Nexus, and Global Entry. I should qualify, but I can't figure out how to enter my CBP Profile Number into my Delta account. Any suggestions?
I'm just curious - what benefits would arise from Delta if they know your a trusted traveler?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Delta wouldn't provide me the benefit; the TSA would. Delta would be the information conduit. Here is what the TSA FAQs say:

"Q. What do participants need to do?

A. Members of CBP’s Global Entry program are assigned a participant ID. To participate in TSA’s pilot program, these passengers must place their CBP participant ID in the ‘Known Traveler Number’ field while booking their reservations. That number is then passed to TSA’s Secure Flight system and taken into consideration during the pre-screening processing.

Selected frequent flyers will ‘opt-in’ through their airline’s system to participate in TSA’s program. Under this process the passenger will not need to input a Known Traveler number during the reservation process. Once the passenger opts-in, the airline identifies the individual as a participant when submitting the passenger reservation information to TSA’s Secure Flight system. "

I'm not sure what the TSA will do to expedite me. They are clear that I don't have a right to reduced screening, but it is clear that more often than not you will get it. What this means, I don't know. Since I have already given all the information to Homeland Security to get Global Traveler & Nexus, I figure that I might as well sign up. It is not like I will be exposing myself to greater scrutiny (unless they decide to interview my old frat buddies).
Old Aug 14, 2011, 2:36 pm

Hopefully down the road, trusted travelers will get access to exclusive security lanes. We already have that in Canada (for domestic and intl flights), and it works great.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 2:44 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe "participant numbers" have not been generated/assigned yet. Once they are, they will go in the "known traveler" field. Exactly how and when we will be notified of our participant numbers remains unclear at this point.

I suppose you could "opt in" with Delta, but it doesn't seem necessary because you will have a participant ID which you will be able to put in the known traveler field. Also, it is unclear what opting in means and what information about you the TSA takes from Delta; if you just use your participant ID once it is assigned, the TSA isn't taking your data from Delta but just using your CBP trusted traveler status.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexb133
Hopefully down the road, trusted travelers will get access to exclusive security lanes. We already have that in Canada (for domestic and intl flights), and it works great.
My understanding is that US Nexus cardholders also get to use your lines. The TSA should reciprocate.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 4:52 pm

My understanding is that US Nexus cardholders also get to use your lines. The TSA should reciprocate.
Yes of course - All Nexus cardholders (they don't differentiate based on your country of citizenship).

TSA, unfortunately I doubt will reciprocate. They love making people's lives miserable.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:09 pm

Are people with criminal records allowed in the TSA Trusted Traveler Program? Nexus won't let anyone with a criminal record in unfortunately.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by mileena
Are people with criminal records allowed in the TSA Trusted Traveler Program?
No, because you have to be part of a CBP Trusted Traveler Program.

Nexus won't let anyone with a criminal record in unfortunately.
No trusted traveler programs allow it.

I don't think its too high of a standard. Trusted travelers are granted a very special privilege by not having to speak/be questioned by a border officer. They're not about to grant that privilege to someone with a criminal past (even minor).
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:57 pm

No trusted traveler programs allow it.

I don't think its too high of a standard. Trusted travelers are granted a very special privilege by not having to speak/be questioned by a border officer. They're not about to grant that privilege to someone with a criminal past (even minor).
Thanks for your answers. It's irritating that a criminal record has to follow you for life though. When does it end? Having an old criminal record has nothing to do with your current trustworthiness. Nor does a bad credit report, which is often used when applying to rent a unit, a job, or auto insurance.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 9:40 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are people with criminal records allowed in the TSA Trusted Traveler Program? Nexus won't let anyone with a criminal record in unfortunately.
We don't know that yet. There are two ways to be a TSA trusted traveler. Way one is to be a CBP trusted traveler. Way two is to "opt in" with your frequent flyer account. We don't know what the standards for the latter will be and a criminal record might not be a factor at all-- it seems like it is based on flight history and not on personal history.

Thanks for your answers.
The answers you got were wrong-- you might qualify with a criminal record-- we don't know yet. You can be a TSO and have a criminal record . . .

It's irritating that a criminal record has to follow you for life though. When does it end? Having an old criminal record has nothing to do with your current trustworthiness.
Sometimes you can get a record sealed and/or expunged depending on the crime. Sometimes you are SOL. It depends on the crime.

Nor does a bad credit report, which is often used when applying to rent a unit, a job, or auto insurance.
Deragoratory information only remains on your credit report for 7 years (except for a bankruptcy which remains for 10 years). So a bad credit report means that you have poor payment history recently, that you are maxed out on your credit lines or that you have a history of bankruptcy in the last decade. It isn't at all like having a criminal history that stays with you your hole life. It takes a maximum of 10 years to fix up your credit.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
We don't know that yet. There are two ways to be a TSA trusted traveler. Way one is to be a CBP trusted traveler. Way two is to "opt in" with your frequent flyer account. We don't know what the standards for the latter will be and a criminal record might not be a factor at all-- it seems like it is based on flight history and not on personal history.

The answers you got were wrong-- you might qualify with a criminal record-- we don't know yet. You can be a TSO and have a criminal record . . .

Sometimes you can get a record sealed and/or expunged depending on the crime. Sometimes you are SOL. It depends on the crime.

Deragoratory information only remains on your credit report for 7 years (except for a bankruptcy which remains for 10 years). So a bad credit report means that you have poor payment history recently, that you are maxed out on your credit lines or that you have a history of bankruptcy in the last decade. It isn't at all like having a criminal history that stays with you your hole life. It takes a maximum of 10 years to fix up your credit.
Thanks. The only bad thing about maybe getting in the TSA trusted traveler program the other way is you have to be an elite/frequent flier, which I am not.

I'm hoping to discharge my private student loan (I went to law school for a year) via bankruptcy, via a hardship condition (I am disabled and cannot work, and have been disabled for 18 years now). The public student loans (Stafford, Perkins, SLS) are about to be discharged through the federal process where you don't take a credit report hit; you just need a doctor's signature. I read that bankruptcy is on your credit report for 10 years, but I also read it was just 8 years now, I think on the federal bankruptcy court's website. I don't know for a fact. Either way, 8 or 10 years, that's good news.

Oh, regarding expungement, thanks for the info. In one state, can get my arrests that didn't result in convictions expunged, though that will cost like $700 or so. It is $125 per agency, and at least the following agencies have the arrest record: sheriff's, DA, FBI, local police, state police, state court. In another state, getting expungements for convictions is next to impossible, minus a Presidential pardon.

Last edited by mileena; Aug 14, 2011 at 9:54 pm
Old Aug 14, 2011, 9:49 pm

Thanks for your answers. It's irritating that a criminal record has to follow you for life though. When does it end? Having an old criminal record has nothing to do with your current trustworthiness. Nor does a bad credit report, which is often used when applying to rent a unit, a job, or auto insurance.
Unfortunately, it never ends unless you've been pardoned or had your conviction expunged. Depending on the severity of the offence you were convicted of, you may get it expunged.. Check with your jurisdiction to see what your options are..

Common "criminal" things that can be expunged - minor in possession (of alcohol), petty theft, etc. Small things.

If you have a felony (or a serious-misdemeanour), that's guaranteed to never come off your record. I know no jurisdictions that expunge such a conviction.

You stated you've had quite a few run-ins with the police. Not sure how it works exactly, but don't think you can get something expunged if you have more run ins with the police (my guess is that the number one thing they look for is rehabilitation)

Last edited by alexb133; Aug 14, 2011 at 10:05 pm
Old Aug 14, 2011, 9:58 pm

Thanks. The only bad thing about maybe getting in the TSA trusted traveler program the other way is you have to be an elite/frequent flier, which I am not.
Not to sound mean - but why do you really want Nexus or to be a TSA trusted traveler?

Everyone who qualifies has a right to participate in them, but these programs are designed for frequent travelers.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:05 pm

Unfortunately, it never ends unless you've been pardoned or had your conviction expunged. Depending on the severity of the offence you were convicted of, you may get it expunged.. Check with your jurisdiction to see what your options are..

Common "criminal" things that can be expunged - minor in possession (of alcohol), petty theft, etc. Small things.

If you have a felony (or a serious-misdemeanour), that's guaranteed to never come off your record. I know no jurisdictions that expunge such a conviction.
Thanks. I will check again, just to be sure. I don't mean to change the topic of the thread. I have 10 misdemeanor convictions in one state from the 1990's for writing bad checks and driving after license suspension. In another state I have a misdemeanor conviction for shoplifting, and 5 arrests for ID theft (for one incident), which were dropped.

Not that it matters, but I also have 4 active traffic arrest warrants for failure to pay fines in one state (they can be taken care of by simply mailing in the fines), and one active misdemeanor arrest warrant in another state for not showing up for my arraignment. I want to take care of those, but the arrest warrants are all the way across the country in other states, and I don't have the money to travel. Luckily, the warrants are not listed in the interstate NCIC and they don't want to extradite, so I won't get picked up, as long as I stay out of those two states.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.