Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

One million people enrolled in Global Entry

Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

The GE program apparently only rather recently hit its million member mark. I am curious how much critical mass it would take for GE not to be replaced by APC (which is available to most all US citizens at some airports/terminals).
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:45 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I don't think the size of the GE program matters, it's the size of the APC. If APC is available at enough airports, GE enrollment will go down.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

It seems like there are more Mexicans in GE than Canadians. 36,000 Mexicans. Has the relative cheapness of NEXUS membership acquisition, the ability of NEXUS members to use GE, the smaller number of Canadians in the world and the high proportion of sub-100 mile proximity to the US border been factors in Canadians not being a larger group of non-US persons enrolled as GE members? It seems so.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The GE program apparently only rather recently hit its million member mark. I am curious how much critical mass it would take for GE not to be replaced by APC (which is available to most all US citizens at some airports/terminals).
Ross says otherwise:

I believe Global Entry has over 2.5 million members, but Global Entry began 2008.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23169004-post5.html
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petaluma1
He may be relying upon a number combining the GE+NEXUS+SENTRI numbers, or applications in GE skyrocketed in the past 7-10 months? Something doesn't add up then. Or word games are in play from DHS yet again?

This summer, the Washington Post said this:

The Global Entry program is offered at 52 international airports and has enrolled more than 2.5 million travelers. The kiosks have been used more than 9.1 million times since 2008, and have allowed CBP to reinvest inspection resources in other more productive areas since the kiosks now process approximately 8 to 10 percent of all arriving air travelers. The increased use of Global Entry resulted in savings equivalent to 60 CBP officers in fiscal 2013.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...353_story.html

Note this too:

http://www.ustravel.org/news/press-r...ers-and-growin

Around two months ago, CBP said this:

"1.38 million members have enrolled directly in Global Entry thus far and there are more than 2.4 million trusted travelers with Global Entry benefits."

http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-me...ring-interview

Cutting into and analyzing public statements that may mislead apparently needs to be done when dealing with our own government too. After doing this, we may get clarity.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 19, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:25 pm

Sounds to me as if the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Why am I not surprised?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It seems like there are more Mexicans in GE than Canadians. 36,000 Mexicans. Has the relative cheapness of NEXUS membership acquisition, the ability of NEXUS members to use GE, the smaller number of Canadians in the world and the high proportion of sub-100 mile proximity to the US border been factors in Canadians not being a larger group of non-US persons enrolled as GE members? It seems so.
Canadians can't get GE directly. They have to enroll in NEXUS to get it. According to the GAO, 76% of NEXUS members are Canadian. NEXUS hit 1 million members in April, 2014 so 760,000 Canadians have GE privileges (as long as they have their full 10 fingerprints on file with CBP).

http://www.gao.gov/assets/670/663724.pdf
http://www.cbp.gov/global-entry/about/eligibility
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dustman81
Canadians can't get GE directly. They have to enroll in NEXUS to get it. According to the GAO, 76% of NEXUS members are Canadian. NEXUS hit 1 million members in April, 2014 so 760,000 Canadians have GE privileges (as long as they have their full 10 fingerprints on file with CBP).

http://www.gao.gov/assets/670/663724.pdf
http://www.cbp.gov/global-entry/about/eligibility
That may also help explain why Canadians are behind Mexicans thanks.

Canadians who are US residents can't get GE? I was pretty sure that I've seen Canadians apply for and receive GE status and GE cards.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
I believe Canadians who are US LPRs are indeed eligible for GE.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
I believe Canadians who are US LPRs are indeed eligible for GE.
They are indeed absolutely eligible fr it.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by dustman81
(as long as they have their full 10 fingerprints on file with CBP).
What if you don't have 10 fingers?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:09 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by alanR
What if you don't have 10 fingers?
One of my employees only has nine (due to an accident) and has GE.
They took his nine prints and typed some magic in the computer. He uses the hand (right) with five whenever he enters however. ymmv
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
One of my employees only has nine (due to an accident) and has GE.
They took his nine prints and typed some magic in the computer. He uses the hand (right) with five whenever he enters however. ymmv
I work with a Canadian with three fingers (and a thumb) on his right hand from birth. My understanding from him is that he gets the dreaded X from the GE kiosk every time (and was told the he would have that happen when they took his fingerprints at enrollment), but the resolution takes mere minutes.

Hasn't reported an issue with using GE at YYZ Preclearance, being based in Toronto. He obviously preferred using the NEXUS kiosks when that was an option departing for the US.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.