Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Can I carry 4 pounds of chocolates and an iPod Dock in carry on (International)?

Can I carry 4 pounds of chocolates and an iPod Dock in carry on (International)?

Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

I am returning back to my home country back from USA by next month. I need to know whether I can carry around 4 pounds of chocolates in m carry on bag ?
It will be factory packed, the usual fun size mini bars like Hershey's, snickers, kisses etc.
Please suggest.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:19 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i have taken candy from the us to argentina & vv as carry on....don't know how much it weighed & have no idea what your home country is....
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by rak007
I am returning back to my home country back from USA by next month. I need to know whether I can carry around 4 pounds of chocolates in m carry on bag ?
It will be factory packed, the usual fun size mini bars like Hershey's, snickers, kisses etc.
Please suggest.
To me it all depends on the TSA agent..have had sealed new jar of peanut butter taken but restaurant meal (gravy and all) go thru...!

We take a lot of perishables overseas, got. 9 KG of chocolates next trip.

We freeze all these foods,wrap in insulating material like bubble wrap or if nothing then newspapers.

Checked bags go to hold where it is not too hot. Now if you have a long layover, it all depends on the weather .
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

My home country is India and I will be going from USA to India.
I will be buying sealed chocolate packs from Walmart etc.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 8:10 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I've never had a problem with chocolates. Sometimes blocks of cheese or brownie mix result in additional screening, but candy never seems to raise an eyebrow.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I've done it. So long as they aren't liquid filled (esp. Alcohol) you'll have no issue
Old Oct 6, 2012, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Can i carry this iHome iPod dock in my carry on bag ?

PS: Apologies for opening so many threads but i am bit confused.

I have this iPod dock bought an year back and i am going to take it back to my home country (India) from USA. I have had planned to put this dock in my checked in baggage but i fear that it might be flicked or get damaged in transit because of the way bags are handled.

The ipod dock that i have is..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i00

I wont be taking it in any box or anything, i will be wrapped with cloth(es) to avoid being bumped here and there and save from damage.

I want to specifically know whether i can put this thing in my carry on bag and pass through the security screening fine ?
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
No problem. Plus, you can see all the TSA rules at the TSA website. Very clear.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 1:00 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As the OP's questions concern security screening, I'll move this now-merged thread to the Practical Travel Safety Issues forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 7:23 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
No problem with the iPod dock in your carry-on. In fact I would not put it in your checked baggage unless you never want to see it again.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
But wouldn't chocolate, like any other solid, turn into liquid when heated to the appropriate temperature? Somebody should let the TSA know about this.

Mike
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
Originally Posted by mikeef
But wouldn't chocolate, like any other solid, turn into liquid when heated to the appropriate temperature? Somebody should let the TSA know about this.

Mike
careful, they might think you've spent far too much time thinking about this and conclude it isn't 'thinking' it's 'planning'

Never had problems with chocolate, but be careful with any large hard candies that have air inside them. When I was a kid my grandmother had 2 big hard candy easter eggs in the overhead bin, it sounded like 2 small explosions in quick succession when they hit the right pressure. Back then the FA's had a laugh about it after checking to see what happened, now they probably add you to a list.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by quick_dry
careful, they might think you've spent far too much time thinking about this and conclude it isn't 'thinking' it's 'planning'

Never had problems with chocolate, but be careful with any large hard candies that have air inside them. When I was a kid my grandmother had 2 big hard candy easter eggs in the overhead bin, it sounded like 2 small explosions in quick succession when they hit the right pressure. Back then the FA's had a laugh about it after checking to see what happened, now they probably add you to a list.
As seen on the TSA blog the next day:

"Kudos to local flight cruises who reported an explosion aboard an airplane. As a result of their diligence and out of an abundance of caution, we have added all 7-foot pink bunnies to the TSA watch-list."

Mike
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:51 am
Original Poster

One more query about what i can carry in carry on / checkin

I have 2 spare laptop batteries that i have bought here in USA. These are for my 2 laptops back home. Can i carry these batteries in carry on back pack or i need to put them in checked baggage ?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by rak007
Please suggest.
I've carried chocolates with liquid inside on the plane and had no problem flying US domestic. Is this chocolate that you can't get in India?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.