Wiki Posts
Search

Dick Cavett Opt Outs Himself

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2011, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Dick Cavett Opt Outs Himself

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...for-the-birds/

Getting through the puns, etc. in this Op Ed is perhaps just one or two steps more pleasant than going through enhanced screening, but you get the idea.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I didn't even know Dick Cavett was still alive. But he can still write pretty well.

I don't entirely agree with his attitude of slightly-annoyed-acceptance, however.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage
From the linked blog-
"At LaGuardia, my wife, a seasoned traveler, dutifully presented the see-through plastic bag containing a few small bottles of the approved size containing liquid. One was seized. It contained something she valued. Pointing out that it was regulation size, she got, “It ain’t labeled, lady.”

Supposing whatever possibly dangerous substance it contained had, say, “olive oil” written on it, I inquired, then would it be O.K.?

“Yes.”
"
Since when have bottles in the Kippie Bag required labels? The tsa.gov web page on Kippie Bags (http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm) makes no mention of any such requirement.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1k
They don't need labels of course.
That TSA needs re-education, although I'd prefer he be given electro-shock.

Yelling out "supervisor" when you have a bozo TSA helps.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by BamaDude
Since when have bottles in the Kippie Bag required labels? The tsa.gov web page on Kippie Bags (http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm) makes no mention of any such requirement.
It could be a special pilot test program at certain airports. That seems to be the standard answer for any discrepancies in screening methods right now!
Old Aug 20, 2011, 9:11 am

From the linked blog-
"At LaGuardia, my wife, a seasoned traveler, dutifully presented the see-through plastic bag containing a few small bottles of the approved size containing liquid. One was seized. It contained something she valued. Pointing out that it was regulation size, she got, “It ain’t labeled, lady.”

Supposing whatever possibly dangerous substance it contained had, say, “olive oil” written on it, I inquired, then would it be O.K.?

“Yes.”
"
I'm guessing that since there was no way of verifying that the container held the allowable volume of liquid, despite it's obvious size and the fact that it was in a very small bag with other items, it was at risk for random seizure... er.. voluntary surrender. Sort of like a nearly empty tube of toothpaste that obviously does not contain the original amount (over 3.4 when full) printed on the label is not allowed. Technically, allowing these sort of things through could be considered a screening "failure". Stupidity begets more stupidity, but rulz is rulz!. I used to have a toiletry travel kit that had several small refillable unlabeled plastic bottles for liquids. My guess is that there's be a pretty good "random" chance that these might now end up in the same bin with all the other potentially explosive liquids, for lack of a simple label indicating capacity when full.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 9:50 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
From the linked blog-

“Yes.”
"
Agreed^ and what should have happened is this:

Pax: "Ok, so it's not labeled-just perform your explosives test with the ETD swab on it" (and then wait for the deer-in-the-headlights-look-from-the-TSO-because-the-pax-knows-more-than-they-do-because-the-pax-is-an-experienced-traveler-and-knows-the-rulez)
Old Aug 20, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by loops
I'm guessing that since there was no way of verifying that the container held the allowable volume of liquid, despite it's obvious size and the fact that it was in a very small bag with other items, it was at risk for random seizure... er.. voluntary surrender. Sort of like a nearly empty tube of toothpaste that obviously does not contain the original amount (over 3.4 when full) printed on the label is not allowed. Technically, allowing these sort of things through could be considered a screening "failure". Stupidity begets more stupidity, but rulz is rulz!. I used to have a toiletry travel kit that had several small refillable unlabeled plastic bottles for liquids. My guess is that there's be a pretty good "random" chance that these might now end up in the same bin with all the other potentially explosive liquids, for lack of a simple label indicating capacity when full.
Interesting. That particular passage caught my eye because I carry rather expensive shampoo and conditioner (necessary to keep my hair looking like hair, rather than a mass of tangled wire) with me in unlabeled refillable containers. A quick check reveals that both containers are marked as containing 3 ounces of fluid on the bottom, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to write "shampoo" and "conditioner" on them with a permanent marker. Better that than to be forced into choosing between buying small yet expensive containers of my preferred hair products at my destination which I will be forced to leave behind or bearing a striking resemblance to the literary character Rubeus Hagrid until I get back home.

At the time the liquid ban was instituted, my preferred brand of hair products were not offered in 3.4 oz/100 ml containers, but perhaps they are available in those sizes now...
Old Aug 20, 2011, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by loops
I'm guessing that since there was no way of verifying that the container held the allowable volume of liquid,
Right. I think the issue was the label giving the volume, not contents. Of course, relying on what such a label said is silly anyway, especially if it were just something printed. Likely yet another TSO who's not using common sense in this area.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:04 am

[QUOTE=RichardKenner;16959368]<snip> Likely yet another TSO who's not using common sense in this area.[/QUOTE

Wow! They're allowed to do that?? I was under the impression that common sense was against all the rulz. Isn't this the goal of all that training/retraining... to eliminate all vestiges of common sense?
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Better that than to be forced into choosing between buying small yet expensive containers of my preferred hair products at my destination which I will be forced to leave behind or bearing a striking resemblance to the literary character Rubeus Hagrid until I get back home.

At the time the liquid ban was instituted, my preferred brand of hair products were not offered in 3.4 oz/100 ml containers, but perhaps they are available in those sizes now...
That is why the Good Lord invented hotel shampoo bottles. Just empty them out and put in your own, favorite, brand.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
The more articles written by (or about) respected celebrities criticizing the TSA, the better off we'll all be. Sooner or later, this stuff will make an impression on Congress, which has the power to stop the ridiculous security show.

Bruce
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:09 am

From the linked blog-
“Yes.”
"
TSA does not have the authority to seize. They can indicate that it cannot pass through security and show you where it can be placed for voluntary abandonment.

A friend told me that whenever they abandon a liquid filled bottle, the cap seems to mysteriously come undone. Must be that the Genie in the bottle wants out!!!

Old Aug 20, 2011, 4:56 pm

Spose they wouldn't see the "humor" in having the label "plastic explosive" on it. Then when they say, "You know this is forbidden". And I say "I also know labels are not a requirement, but some of you tell me it is anyway"
Old Aug 20, 2011, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by msimons
They don't need labels of course.
That TSA needs re-education, although I'd prefer he be given electro-shock.
50kV across the nards via TASER works for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.