Wiki Posts
Search

100 ml bottles through TSA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:34 am
Original Poster

100 ml bottles through TSA

Hi Everyone,

I have heard mixed reports of TSA allowing 100 ml bottles in a 3-1-1 carry on. Has anyone had experience with these?

TSA has conflicting information. I've printed out the rules stating the limit as 3.4 ounces or 100 ml just in case I get an overly picky TSA agent.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moving this to the Travel Safety/Security forum, where topics of this nature belong.

Thanks.

aztimm
A US Airways Forum Moderator
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:11 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by mit43
Hi Everyone,

I have heard mixed reports of TSA allowing 100 ml bottles in a 3-1-1 carry on. Has anyone had experience with these?

TSA has conflicting information. I've printed out the rules stating the limit as 3.4 ounces or 100 ml just in case I get an overly picky TSA agent.
3.4 ounces is the same as 100 ml's-tho you may find a TSO or two who might "beg to differ"

Last edited by goalie; Aug 16, 2011 at 10:23 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: Cattle Class
you should be fine with 100 ml bottles as long as it's in a zip-lock bag.
Be careful to check the label, if it says 100 ml / 125 gr you might be in trouble (I had this issue with the toothpaste as TSO couldn't understand that volume is not the same a weight).
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks!

Sorry Mod! I only fly and look at the US Airways forum, so my bad.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 2:37 pm

With very few exceptions, the metric system is the norm outside the US, and thus 100ml is the norm in most countries around the world which practice liquid restrictions. The vast majority of travellers coming from outside the US (or those who purchase items outside the US) will have products marked in ml vs ounces, and are certainly not all denied passage with their liquids by TSA.

It is possible as well as noted above to bring 'full size' items through which are still marked as approved. My full size German toothpaste comes in 75ml containers, for instance.

As noted above, however, not everyone seems to understand weights and measures.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:14 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Explained years ago on their blog

http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/02/3-oz-or-...hat-gives.html
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Also depends on what you are taking through. Medication can be larger than 100ml and you can take a bottle of water or juice through even if it is over 3.4oz/100ml. Just tell them you have a medical condition and need the water/juice.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by justhere
Also depends on what you are taking through. Medication can be larger than 100ml and you can take a bottle of water or juice through even if it is over 3.4oz/100ml. Just tell them you have a medical condition and need the water/juice.
Haven't done that yet - but I may try it this winter! They don't seem to mind my 200 mL Buckley's cough syrup (non-prescription). I wonder if they would really allow a bottle of water too..

Lol if their answer is "well you can buy one once you pass security", I'll be like "sure if your willing to pay $5 for it"
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:21 pm

I'm a regular visitor to the US.. and never have had any trouble with my metric labelled liquids.

My deodorant gets a good look every time.. it is labelled "100ml" but the container is rather large... (due to the spray top design)

They check the labelling and hand it back...^
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:59 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Whatever happened to the guy (wasn't he the one that did fake NW boarding passes?) that was going to print 100ml labels for liter bottles?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:18 am

I have not had any problems with 100 ml in the USA. But still USA is the only country in the world which use ounces. Even UK went away from that for 30-40 years ago.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by William S
I have not had any problems with 100 ml in the USA. But still USA is the only country in the world which use ounces. Even UK went away from that for 30-40 years ago.
Not quite correct - Liberia and Myanmar are also in company with the US when it comes to the metric system.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:59 pm

Along the same topic, I have 2 bottles of perfume I'm bringing to a friend in Brazil, in their original wrapping. He doesn't want the plastic removed if possible. If the boxes will fit in a quart sized ziptop bag, will this pass the test? The boxes clearly state 100ml or less, will I have a problem? I really don't want to check my bag for only this reason...
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: The program formerly know as WorldPerks
I gave up on Kippie bags along time ago. Now I just toss stuff in my carryon and make sure it's not a giant bottle of whatever. On the very rate occasion they pull it out, it's "OH, I didn't know". They rerun it and hand it back. Such a stupid rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.