Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[RANT] GE vs NEXUS Enrollment Fee

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
[RANT] GE vs NEXUS Enrollment Fee

Yes, this is a rant. I just applied for GE for my wife and I (really should have gotten it before we went to HKG and Turkey since it would have save a ton of time at LAX). After reading thru posts here on FT and looking at the GE site, I knew that NEXUS users now get GE privileges for free and their enrollment fee is only $50 whereas GE is $100.

So naturally, looking for greatest value, I researched NEXUS a little more only to realize that it will require me to talk to Canadian officials which can not be done anywhere near me (Southern California). Saving the $50 is not worth a trip by both of us up to the Canadian border.

So, apparently, because I don't live in a certain area of the country (i.e. the northern borders with Canada) I get the privilege of paying twice as much for exactly the same set of privileges.... Oh wait, actually I get even fewer privileges because the GE card can't be used at the NEXUS lanes and kiosks when entering Canada while a true NEXUS card can be....

OK, rant over.

Mods-
If there is another rant thread, feel free to merge my rage with the existing pool of rage
Old Aug 16, 2011, 1:07 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The Canadians have input in the NEXUS price, so that keeps it down. Since the NEXUS check is more in-depth than the GE one, no need to spend money on it.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:22 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Oh wait, actually I get even fewer privileges because the GE card can't be used at the NEXUS lanes and kiosks when entering Canada while a true NEXUS card can be....
While that is true (you cannot enter Canada with GE), I believe CBP is installing GE kiosks in Canadian airports (to be concurrently with Nexus). Even in the absence of those kiosks, you would be able to use the crew line on your US-bound flight.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:04 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
The Canadians have input in the NEXUS price, so that keeps it down.
Exactly. This is a complaint without merit.

I assume it never occourred to the OP that the GE fee has to pay for the nifty new kiosks whereas NEXUS is already in place?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ari
Exactly. This is a complaint without merit.

I assume it never occourred to the OP that the GE fee has to pay for the nifty new kiosks whereas NEXUS is already in place?
I look at it differently. Given that NEXUS users now get to use GE facilities, it would seem that some pricing adjustments should be made. NEXUS users get to use those "nifty new kiosks" just the same as GE users, so why shouldn't they contribute their fair share to it? I would expect one of the following:

1) NEXUS fees get increased for an actual increase in services available (as opposed to the usual price increase without any increase in service)
2) GE fees get reduced because GE should now have access to some of the NEXUS money (since they are servicing NEXUS customers) to keep putting in those "nifty new kiosks"
3) Both, in order to bring both fees inline since they essentially provide the exact same benefits and services now

I look at it as being very unequal that I, as a US citizen, can choose between two programs that, because of newly initiated reciprocal benefits, provide basically the same set of benefits, however, I can not reasonably apply for one of them just because of where I live.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:36 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I look at it differently. Given that NEXUS users now get to use GE facilities, it would seem that some pricing adjustments should be made. NEXUS users get to use those "nifty new kiosks" just the same as GE users, so why shouldn't they contribute their fair share to it? I would expect one of the following:

1) NEXUS fees get increased for an actual increase in services available (as opposed to the usual price increase without any increase in service)
2) GE fees get reduced because GE should now have access to some of the NEXUS money (since they are servicing NEXUS customers) to keep putting in those "nifty new kiosks"
3) Both, in order to bring both fees inline since they essentially provide the exact same benefits and services now

I look at it as being very unequal that I, as a US citizen, can choose between two programs that, because of newly initiated reciprocal benefits, provide basically the same set of benefits, however, I can not reasonably apply for one of them just because of where I live.
The Canadian government wants to keep the NEXUS fee low. The US cannot unilaterally change the NEXUS fee. The NEXUS fee must stay at $50; the US cannot change that.

The US has to pay for the new kiosks, the implimentation of GOES and training for the new program. To do so, they charge $100 for GE enrollment.

It seems the only thing CBP could have done was to add an extra $50 fee for NEXUS members to use GE, but they elected not to do that.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:49 pm

I can not reasonably apply for one of them just because of where I live.
Sure you can - take a trip to our beautiful country ! It's especially beautiful during the fall season
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ari

It seems the only thing CBP could have done was to add an extra $50 fee for NEXUS members to use GE, but they elected not to do that.
Yes - and hopefully they don't decide to start charging the extra $50.

The reason being - The majority of Nexus members (pre-GE inclusion anyways) travel between the US-Canada. GE benefits are an extra bonus (generous bonus if I may add), but a bonus that many people probably won't take advantage of very often.

That could all change though, if people decide to sign up for Nexus for the sole purpose of GE.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by alexb133
Yes - and hopefully they don't decide to start charging the extra $50.

The reason being - The majority of Nexus members (pre-GE inclusion anyways) travel between the US-Canada. GE benefits are an extra bonus (generous bonus if I may add), but a bonus that many people probably won't take advantage of very often.

That could all change though, if people decide to sign up for Nexus for the sole purpose of GE.

Yes, I think you have hit on the key point here. We FTers who have NEXUS and/or SENTRI memberships but don't live near or commute across either border are probably a tiny minority of the membership of these programs.

NEXUS is a program designed for those who cross the US-Canadian border frequently by air, land, and/or sea. In practice, membership is composed primarily of two demographics: business travelers who fly back and forth a lot, and border community residents who drive back and forth all the time in the course of everyday business.

Living in Southern California, it might not make much sense to have a NEXUS membership because you probably don't cross the US-Canadian border all that often. However, you could apply for SENTRI (albeit at a much higher cost) which is a program designed for those who live near the US-Mexican border and cross back and forth frequently.

The $50 USD/CAD fee for NEXUS is kept low by the Canadian government in order to encourage eligible Canadians to become members, thereby reducing congestion at major ports of entry and allowing CBSA officers to focus on examining others who are not trusted travelers.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
One further thought: if the fee is problematic to you, and all you need is a WHTI-complaint document, you could apply for the $30 passport card. No background investigation or interview is required. Like NEXUS and SENTRI, the passport card was designed for border community residents who cross frequently and would rather not carry around their passport book everywhere. However, the passport card does not grant expedited processing (other than access to special WHTI-document lines at some ports of entry), so it is nowhere near as powerful as NEXUS/SENTRI/GE. Plus, the passport card by itself is insufficient for establishing identity and citizenship when re-entering the USA by air, or when re-entering the USA from locations outside North America and the Caribbean by any mode of travel.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:35 pm

In the end, three things could happen.
1) Leave it the way it is.

2) Revoke GE benefits if a pattern starts where Nexus members utilize GE more than Nexus.

3) Make it an "opt-in", where Nexus members can pay an additional $50 to participate in GE, but not force everyone to do so.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Plus, the passport card by itself is insufficient for establishing identity and citizenship when re-entering the USA by air, or when re-entering the USA from locations outside North America and the Caribbean by any mode of travel.
I don't get that - are you any less of a citizen if you fly to the USA rather than drive? Or is the document any less secure if you fly?

I understand the norm for international air travel has been (and will most likely always be) passports, but if the USA decides to issue a document which proves nationality and identity, they should accept it at all POEs, and in all circumstances.

Even then - airlines probably won't board you without passports, but people who have American passport cards or provincial/state - issued EDLs should be given a choice to use whatever document they want at the POE.

For example, if you arrive into Canada with an EDL or a passport card, the CBSA will accept it.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:06 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Plus, the passport card by itself is insufficient for establishing identity and citizenship when re-entering the USA by air, or when re-entering the USA from locations outside North America and the Caribbean by any mode of travel.
It is sufficient; if a US citizen were to show up at any CBP FIS without a passport but with a WHTI-compliant document, the citizen will be admitted. It might involve a lecture or a slight delay, but the citizen will be admitted.

It is just not "an acceptable document for air travel" which means it is not supposed to be used for that. But it is certainly "sufficient".

For example, if you arrive into Canada with an EDL or a passport card, the CBSA will accept it.
If you arrive by air, they will most likely ask for your passport. If you don't have one on you, they will likely accept the above.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:13 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
So, apparently, because I don't live in a certain area of the country (i.e. the northern borders with Canada) I get the privilege of paying twice as much for exactly the same set of privileges....
I live in Dallas and I got NEXUS. All you have to do is fly/drive to a city near the Canadian border. You can't demand the Canadian discount and then expect Canada to come to you...

Maybe SENTRI would be easier for you? Oh, wait... SENTRI costs $122 per person.

Last edited by janetdoe; Aug 16, 2011 at 8:20 pm
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

In the end, three things could happen.
1) Leave it the way it is.

2) Revoke GE benefits if a pattern starts where Nexus members utilize GE more than Nexus.

3) Make it an "opt-in", where Nexus members can pay an additional $50 to participate in GE, but not force everyone to do so.
To me, #3 seems to be the most fair. GE members have paid $100 for the privilege and are getting almost full NEXUS benefits now. NEXUS members paid $50 and are getting full NEXUS and full GE benefits. It would make sense to me to charge a supplemental fee of $50 to NEXUS members to get full GE benefits. People who don't want it don't have to pay. But those that do have paid the same amount as a GE member to receive the same benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.