Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family traveling with infant, what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
Family traveling with infant, what to expect?

So I've traveled by myself a fair number of times since October 2010, so far I've been successful in SDOO every time. Will be traveling over labor day with wife and infant daughter, it will probably be more difficult to manage to manipulate the screening of 3 so easily.

Traveling BOS-PIT. I'm curious what others experiences are with infants. NoS is obviously out of the question for our baby daughter. Will they generally direct us (or at least the person carrying the baby) to WTMD to avoid any YouTube moments?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:02 am
Suspended

Expect a full diaper inspection by at least two TSA creeps.

That way, if it doesn't happen you can just be happy it didn't happen to your child.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Caradoc
Expect a full diaper inspection by at least two TSA creeps.

That way, if it doesn't happen you can just be happy it didn't happen to your child.
I'm fully aware of that possibility and will certainly be SDOO'ing to minimize that possibility. I also believe that TSA is covertly taking actions to minimize these YouTube moments. I'm just wondering what happens in the non-YouTube situations?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfunk138
I'm fully aware of that possibility and will certainly be SDOO'ing to minimize that possibility. I also believe that TSA is covertly taking actions to minimize these YouTube moments. I'm just wondering what happens in the non-YouTube situations?

Any evidence you can point to that TSA has done anyting to minimize the screening incidents we see on YouTube?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Any evidence you can point to that TSA has done anyting to minimize the screening incidents we see on YouTube?
Pure statistics. There is no way an infant can use the NoS, so if an infant is directed to one it becomes a patdown situation. What is the latest metric 30% of passengers are directed to NoS? So if 1000 infants fly on any given day, 300 would be chosen for NoS and instead receive a pat-down. Do you really think if 300 infants received a patdown in any given day, that we'd not find at least 30 of them on YouTube?

While the public is still decidedly split on the subject of adult patdowns, diaper patdowns do fall into the outrage category for the majority of Americans. The TSA _MUST_ be doing something to minimize NoS of infants or we'd see alot more of it on YouTube.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:58 am
Suspended

The TSA _MUST_ be doing something to minimize NoS of infants or we'd see alot more of it on YouTube.
It's more likely that the TSA is minimizing the videography or photography of infants being groped than that they're minimizing the groping.

Like threatening to have them arrested and their child put in foster care, for example.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pure statistics. There is no way an infant can use the NoS, so if an infant is directed to one it becomes a patdown situation. What is the latest metric 30% of passengers are directed to NoS? So if 1000 infants fly on any given day, 300 would be chosen for NoS and instead receive a pat-down. Do you really think if 300 infants received a patdown in any given day, that we'd not find at least 30 of them on YouTube?

While the public is still decidedly split on the subject of adult patdowns, diaper patdowns do fall into the outrage category for the majority of Americans. The TSA _MUST_ be doing something to minimize NoS of infants or we'd see alot more of it on YouTube.
I think TSA only counts the 3% Opt Outs as those who refuse WBI, not those who cannot for other reason.

Most people have already surrendered their possessions to the x-ray belt before they get to the various screening devices. Limits videos a bit, eh?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
I'd probably just switch (if possible/cost-effective) to MHT and decide the extra segment with the infant is less worrisome than the potential of what might happen at BOS security. Still have to contend with PIT on the way back, unless you want to drive to CAK or ERI and change planes at PHL.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Caradoc
It's more likely that the TSA is minimizing the videography or photography of infants being groped than that they're minimizing the groping.

Like threatening to have them arrested and their child put in foster care, for example.
In that case, I think we'd have many more jailed parents. 300 parents in any given day expected to be completely complacent while their babies are molested?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
I would also ensure the infant is wearing a onesie with both sleeves and legs, to avoid prying eyes and eager fingers from going where only a parent, trusted caregiver or pediatrician's should.

On the other hand, you could also ensure that the baby goes through with a dirty diaper and if the TSO tries to look/feel not only will they get the smell, but you can say: "We have a rule in our house: whomever finds the poop cleans it up" while handing over a fresh diaper and a box of wipes. Though I don't actually think I'd want them to comply, fresh gloves or not...
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:50 pm
Suspended

In that case, I think we'd have many more jailed parents. 300 parents in any given day expected to be completely complacent while their babies are molested?
When the TSA tells someone "Shut up and let us grope or we'll have you arrested and your child(ren) sent to foster care," I think you'd be surprised at how many people will just let it happen - as evidenced by the upwelling of support for Andrea Abbott when she said, "No more."
Old Aug 15, 2011, 1:48 pm

Traveling BOS-PIT. I'm curious what others experiences are with infants. NoS is obviously out of the question for our baby daughter. Will they generally direct us (or at least the person carrying the baby) to WTMD to avoid any YouTube moments?
I suspect that will be the case.

On our most recent family trip with small children (school age, not infant), one of the airports we used had AIT machines in operation, and all traffic was being funneled through there. When we showed up, they opened up the WTMD just for Mom & the kids ... Dad still was directed to the AIT.

I haven't carried a babe in arms through a TSA checkpoint in years, so I can't offer anything more definitive than that from experience. But, as you point out, it's simply not possible for an infant to use AIT because they can't stand still in the required position as adults can.

So ... I think at least one of y'all will be fine .... as to the other, YMMV.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
We brought our infants, now toddlers, through screening at BOS several times, with flying colors. I've even got a thread in here about it somewhere.

With few exceptions, the TSOs went out of their way to be helpful. We also had a separate bag for all their goodies which was subject to a (short) additional inspection. We once got a question about the amount of formula we were bringing but we shut that down quickly.

Note: We have traveled with them almost exclusively on the AA side of the B terminal, so YMMV.

Mike
Old Aug 15, 2011, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
When we showed up, they opened up the WTMD just for Mom & the kids ...
Thanks for sharing the experience. I suspected that this kind of thing was going on.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Yes, when I have gone through screening points with a toddler, the agents (multiple airports - IAH, DFW, CRP) ask if she can stand still for the NoS. I say no, and they wave me through the WTMD, even when no one else was being allowed to go through it.

When they have been directing people to alternate between NoS and WTMD, I don't make eye contact to get my instructions - I just head to the WTMD with the child in my arms. It's something akin to the concept "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission". Don't show weakness (or antagonism). Just look like you know exactly what you are doing - going through the WTMD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.