Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Updating Your Delta Profile for New TSA Trusted Traveler Program

Updating Your Delta Profile for New TSA Trusted Traveler Program

Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
A Nexus ID is not particularly impressive as ID cards go. Wile it has a nice hologram, the photo is low res black/white.
Your right - a driver's licence actually has much more security features on it than a Nexus card. I guess they're not really interested to make it secure because your iris scans identify you in airports, and the RFID part of the card is what identifies you at land ports of entry.

and it doesn't even state the issuing authority on the card.
Yes it does, on the last line. Issuing Country: USA
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by mileena
10 misdemeanor convictions for writing bad checks ... driving after license suspension ... misdemeanor conviction for shoplifting ... 5 arrests for ID theft ... 4 active traffic arrest warrants ... one active misdemeanor arrest warrant ...
Have you applied for a job with the TSA yet?

Originally Posted by Superguy
Is it really worth giving all your personal information to a dishonest and incompetent agency just to rush to the front of the line to get harassed like everyone else?

There are better ways to do it. Fly and get elite status. That'll save you a lot of time. Well worth the price without giving up your freedom and privacy.
Yeah, and if you can find two airports without NoS, you might even manage to avoid getting groped.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by janetdoe
Hahaha. That made my day!
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:26 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A Nexus ID is not particularly impressive as ID cards go. Wile it has a nice hologram, the photo is low res black/white, and it doesn't even state the issuing authority on the card.
It has laser-etched tactile features as well.

Originally Posted by alexb133
Your right - a driver's licence actually has much more security features on it than a Nexus card. I guess they're not really interested to make it secure because your iris scans identify you in airports, and the RFID part of the card is what identifies you at land ports of entry.
There are several different states that issue DLs; the NEXUS card is more secure than many.

Yes it does, on the last line. Issuing Country: USA
The USA is a country, not an "authority". An issuing "authority" would be "Department of Homeland Security" or "Secretary of State"-- that is under whose authority the card is issued.

Originally Posted by janetdoe
^
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:24 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
A Nexus ID is not particularly impressive as ID cards go. Wile it has a nice hologram, the photo is low res black/white, and it doesn't even state the issuing authority on the card.
It states "issuing country" on the bottom line.

Actually, the "issuing country" line actually gives me one of the better TSA stories to tell.

On a recent trip out of LAX, where I've had my share of awful TDC experiences with my NEXUS card, I got up to the podium and was set for another long wait when the guy said "what's this, I've never seen this before?" I said "its a NEXUS card" and he said "hmm, well, it says here: issuing country - USA, so it must be valid" and let me go. I then was nice and noted to him "look for identical cards that say SENTRI and FAST in the corner, as they are also trusted traveler IDs."
Old Aug 17, 2011, 5:37 am
Original Poster

I misfiled my driver's license coming through the TSA security and tried to get into the Delta Skyclub in Detroit using my Nexus ID as my ID card. She only let me in when I could produce a second photo ID. (My American Express card has my photo on the rear).

By issuing authority, I would have thought that the Nexus card would have said US CBSA and Can CBSA. Is my card issued by the US or the US and Canada in collaboration. While the interview was conducted in the US, it was conducted by the CBSA agent .

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Aug 17, 2011 at 9:37 am Reason: Fixing an embarrasing word substitution by my iPad
Old Aug 17, 2011, 5:46 am
Original Poster

As to the other questions about whether an expunged conviction disqualifies you from admission into the program, the information is conflicting. When I went through it, there were places that seemed to say both yes and know on the official site. The feds aren't required to honor state expungments, but often do. Remember also that this is a joint call. The Canadians have to be prepared to recognizes it as well. Under the Canadian Federal Court of Appeals ruling in Sangi v Minister & Bergon v Minister, Canada will normally honor foreign pardons and expungments as long as they come from a similar legal system and it passes their puke test.

In Bergon, they said that an English "spent" conviction was ok. Bergon was an old drug conviction. In Sangi, the Canadian Federal Court of Appeals said that 500 counts of murder that were pardoned by Pakistan in conjunction with the blowing up of an Air India jet was not. Sangi was given a complete pardon from prison and tossed on a plane to Canada. This, however, assumes that they will adopt the same definition of conviction for Nexus that they use under their Immigration Act (the IRPA).

If you are in doubt apply. You can go through the entire process up until hitting the submit button without paying. Also, I have found the folks at these centers very approachable. Call them and ask them whether an expunged conviction is disqualifying.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Aug 17, 2011 at 6:10 am
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:36 am

By issuing authority, I would have thought that the Nexus card would have said US CBSA and Can CBSA. Is my card issued by the US or the US and Canada in collaboration. While the interview was conducted in the US, it was conducted by the CBSA agent .
All cards have Issuing Country USA on them, because the card itself is issued solely by CBP. Canada however must consent to the issuance of a card, because if they deny you, your not gonna get a card (or participate in the program)

Also, where was your interview? I don't think you can do Nexus interviews in the US unless they're right at the border. And they are conducted by CBP and CBSA, not just CBSA.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:14 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, where was your interview? I don't think you can do Nexus interviews in the US unless they're right at the border. And they are conducted by CBP and CBSA, not just CBSA.
There are locations in Canada and in the USA. If Dubai Stu's interview was in the USA, it was very likely right at the border on the US side because that's where the US enrollment locations are.

That said, my interview was in Seattle at King County International Airport; CBSA has an office there. I think that location is unique in that it is the only location that is in the USA and not next to the border.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:29 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As to the other questions about whether an expunged conviction disqualifies you from admission into the program, the information is conflicting. When I went through it, there were places that seemed to say both yes and know on the official site. The feds aren't required to honor state expungments, but often do. Remember also that this is a joint call. The Canadians have to be prepared to recognizes it as well. Under the Canadian Federal Court of Appeals ruling in Sangi v Minister & Bergon v Minister, Canada will normally honor foreign pardons and expungments as long as they come from a similar legal system and it passes their puke test.

In Bergon, they said that an English "spent" conviction was ok. Bergon was an old drug conviction. In Sangi, the Canadian Federal Court of Appeals said that 500 counts of murder that were pardoned by Pakistan in conjunction with the blowing up of an Air India jet was not. Sangi was given a complete pardon from prison and tossed on a plane to Canada. This, however, assumes that they will adopt the same definition of conviction for Nexus that they use under their Immigration Act (the IRPA).

If you are in doubt apply. You can go through the entire process up until hitting the submit button without paying. Also, I have found the folks at these centers very approachable. Call them and ask them whether an expunged conviction is disqualifying.
There is one more factor: A properly-expunged conviction will not show up in any computer anywhere, not even as an arrest. I don't recommend lying during a TT interview, but a properly-expunged conviction will not be discovered.

Under the laws of many states in the USA, you are legally permitted to answer "no" if asked "have you ever been arrested" except in certain unique circumstances where the law requires disclosure. In other words, the law says that you are legally permitted to lie and say that it never happened. The Canadians seem to ask broader questions like "have you ever been in front of a judge" or "have you ever been in trouble with the law"-- questions that would appear to circumvent this protection-- not to mention that US law doesn't apply to a foreign country.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Expunged convictions do show up on police databases. They do not show up on standard background checks. I know on presentence reports prepared in criminal sentencing, they pick up old expunged convictions, pleas under advisements, etc.

On the Canadian side, the RCMP fingerprinting service even has a special form you fill out for US Homeland Security authorizing them to release information about pardoned offenses. I am doing a friend's expungment and she had a funky entry about a marijuana ticket in Canada in the 1970s and I had to get one of these checks for the US Courts.

Look at your state statute, there are often statutory exemptions listed about who can see your expunged conviction. This often includes applying for jobs in law enforcement, applying for certain positions working with children, etc. I tell people to think of these adjudications as "sheltered" (e.g. partially protected) rather than eradicated. I know that our local CCW board sees expunged convictions as well. Additionally, US immigration law specifically says that a conviction that is set aside based on rehabilitation can still be considered in deportation proceedings.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Ari

That said, my interview was in Seattle at King County International Airport; CBSA has an office there. I think that location is unique in that it is the only location that is in the USA and not next to the border.
I wasn't aware CBSA maintained any presence in the United States.

They maintain limited presence in some consulates and embassies/high commissions, but I'm sure those officers wouldn't conduct Nexus interviews.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:04 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Expunged convictions do show up on police databases. They do not show up on standard background checks. I know on presentence reports prepared in criminal sentencing, they pick up old expunged convictions, pleas under advisements, etc.
In some states, if a conviction is properly expunged, it doesn't. Sealed records are available to law enforcement.

On the Canadian side, the RCMP fingerprinting service even has a special form you fill out for US Homeland Security authorizing them to release information about pardoned offenses. I am doing a friend's expungment and she had a funky entry about a marijuana ticket in Canada in the 1970s and I had to get one of these checks for the US Courts.
If your record is deleted in NCIC (see below), then there is nothing for DHS or the FBI to give to Canada. A deleted record is deleted; it no longer exists.

Look at your state statute, there are often statutory exemptions listed about who can see your expunged conviction. This often includes applying for jobs in law enforcement, applying for certain positions working with children, etc. I tell people to think of these adjudications as "sheltered" (e.g. partially protected) rather than eradicated. I know that our local CCW board sees expunged convictions as well. Additionally, US immigration law specifically says that a conviction that is set aside based on rehabilitation can still be considered in deportation proceedings.
I am familiar my state's laws and procedures and an expungement deletes records. Here is some information about how it works in my state, Illinois:

http://www.state.il.us/defender/expf...7instguide.pdf

EXPUNGEMENT results in a record being destroyed.
(emphasis added)

http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.g...punge0204h.pdf

In Illinois, an expungement order issued by a Circuit Court is an order to the police (both the arresting authority and the State Police) to delete and destroy all their records of the arrest. The Clerk of Court then deletes her records of the case. Once your record is deleted with the Illinois State Police, you need to check to make sure they deleted your record from NCIC as well. While it should be automatic, the Illinois State Police needs to submit an updated R-84 to the FBI with the court-ordered expungement box checked and with a copy of the expungement order.

If a certified or authenticated copy of a court ordered expungement is submitted with the R-84 Final Disposition Report, please check the box "Court Ordered Expungement," on the R-84 Final Disposition Report and attach the court order.

An expungement is a deletion of a single arrest or an entire Record. Each state employs unique forms for submitting expungement information to the CJIS Division to ensure the Criminal History Record at the FBI is expunged.
(emphasis added)

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/fin...ion-submission

You may be basing your assertions on the laws of other states, or you may be confusing "sealing" with "expungment". In Illinois, a sealed conviction can be viewed by law enforcement; an expunged conviction cannot because the records are deleted and/or destroyed.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ari
There are locations in Canada and in the USA. If Dubai Stu's interview was in the USA, it was very likely right at the border on the US side because that's where the US enrollment locations are.

I was interviewed at the Ambassador Bridge crossing in Detroit.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:13 pm

I was interviewed at the Ambassador Bridge crossing in Detroit.
Are they able to do iris scans at land crossings now?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.