Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long to clear Customs to/from YVR?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
How long to clear Customs to/from YVR?

Newbie, please help:

How long can we expect to clear Customs in YVR for a U.S. transborder flight?

We're arriving late Friday morning and leaving early the next Friday morning.

The posts I see are from before the Olympics, and they mention 2-3 hours! You would think/hope that the facilities are better now.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:44 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by AKC6
Newbie, please help:

How long can we expect to clear Customs in YVR for a U.S. transborder flight?

We're arriving late Friday morning and leaving early the next Friday morning.

The posts I see are from before the Olympics, and they mention 2-3 hours! You would think/hope that the facilities are better now.
Average wait time during peak hours are 45 mins - 1h30m. It depends on how many officers are working basically.

Are you a US citizen? If so, it should be even shorter because Vancouver has special lanes.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
thanks!

Originally Posted by alexb133
Average wait time during peak hours are 45 mins - 1h30m. It depends on how many officers are working basically.

Are you a US citizen? If so, it should be even shorter because Vancouver has special lanes.
Yes, U.S. citizen. Appreciate the help, especially for the 6:30 A.M. departure.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Beware that summer season generally brings peak wait times up.

I left YVR last friday morning (8:30 am departure) and it took 1+hours.
6:30 times should be better, but allow for an hour IMO.

Into YVR you're at the mercy of your timing against jumbo jets from Asia/Europe. I've literally walked right up to an agent with no wait, and have waited 1.5 hours.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by AKC6
Yes, U.S. citizen. Appreciate the help, especially for the 6:30 A.M. departure.
No problem. You should be fine if you arrive at the airport at 5:00AM. In fact its plenty of time.

Like the person above posted, if a jumbojet from Asia lands early that morning (and alot of passengers are connecting to the US), you may have a slightly more wait time. Generally though, 1h30m is more than enough time.

Also - Not sure about YVR, but at YYZ, even though the airport suggests that you arrive 3 hours before your flight, US CBP doesn't open until 4:30AM.. Therefore only leaving 1h30m for a 6 AM flight..
Old Aug 13, 2011, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
AFAIK, for transborder in Canada, you won't be allowed to line up for CBP processing until 2 hours prior. It's this way in YEG and YYC now.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
AFAIK, for transborder in Canada, you won't be allowed to line up for CBP processing until 2 hours prior. It's this way in YEG and YYC now.
It's that way at YYZ too during very busy periods.. (I've only witnessed it once - last year holiday season)
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:34 pm

Unfortunately, someone with my name has been tagged as undesirable at the US customs. Invariably, flight or cruise, I am pulled out of line while they look into this. Almost missed our flight to Disneyland when we took our granddaughter, and thank heavens the cruise was delayed as on a Sunday it was difficult to get anyone to verify. I have a nexus card, but I am still undesirable at customs, so I have given up and only drive over the border.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:41 pm

You may have been given a random compliance check if you have nexus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.