Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA questions passenger who has fake head in his bag

Old Aug 11, 2011, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: General member, former 1P

Well, not exactly a fake head. But a fake face like those his company makes to affix on gravestones. (Which I don't think I would go for, but to each his own.)

The guy was flying through PHF in Newport News, Va., when he was stopped and questioned during TSA screening. The Orlando Sentinel has a detailed story, including a picture of the fake face.

Orlando Sentinel story
Old Aug 11, 2011, 8:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Freaky technology. They put the dead person (or animal) into a laser scanner, collect a thousand dollars from the family, and some factory someplace and get the resin head back.

Not something I would want on my gravestone, and think they would have a way more profitable business if they did other body parts for less money, but that's another story.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Freaky sure, but nothing to do with security. It never should have required that level of attention. Once again, the fools are easily distracted from what their job is supposed to be.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
Freaky technology. They put the dead person (or animal) into a laser scanner, collect a thousand dollars from the family, and some factory someplace and get the resin head back.

Not something I would want on my gravestone, and think they would have a way more profitable business if they did other body parts for less money, but that's another story.
In the old days, they called it a death mask.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:25 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
......After consulting among themselves, they decided the head was not a prohibited item, and Shulman continued on his way.

"I offered to take a picture of them with it," he said.
Bolding mine: Imho, this is the best part of the article (tho wouldn't it have been a hoot if the mask/face was that of the now most sincerely dead OBL......)
Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:47 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
incompetent idiots...
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Who isn't trying to get ahead these days?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
incompetent idiots...
Yeah, I don't seen enough more evidence being found. Is that fake dummy face? I wasn't sure what happening to him? Luckily that he didn't get arrested for that. He wasn't threats at all. They were letting him go. He won't get charge for that. I don't see any prohibited items.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Sounds like a good point.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, IHG, HHonors
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Freaky sure, but nothing to do with security. It never should have required that level of attention. Once again, the fools are easily distracted from what their job is supposed to be.
^
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:20 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
No doubt the face didn't demonstrate the right degree of subservience to the almighty TSA, didn't pronounce its name when asked, and opted out of the body scanner on the flimsy excuse that it doesn't have a body.

It's pretty obvious that all that is going to get some retaliation. Otherwise every disembodied face is going to start disrespecting the TSA.

Last edited by RadioGirl; Aug 12, 2011 at 6:33 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:40 am

...and think they would have a way more profitable business if they did other body parts for less money, but that's another story.
You think his bag would have been searched had it had one of those "other body parts" in it

I liked the beginning of the article:

"There was a face-off last week between a Central Florida entrepreneur and federal security officials at the airport in Newport News, Va.
In the end, the face won."

Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:15 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
No doubt the face didn't demonstrate the right degree of subservience to the almighty TSA, didn't pronounce its name when asked, and opted out of the body scanner on the flimsy excuse that it doesn't have a body.
It is also possible that the face exhibited a microexpression.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:22 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Exactly. Most likely they were on a fishing expedition for something "illegal" as opposed to something that impacts flight security.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 8:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Exactly. Most likely they were on a fishing expedition for something "illegal" as opposed to something that impacts flight security.
...as usual.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.