Carry-on Calipers?

Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:34 pm
ksn
Original Poster

Carry-on Calipers?

I like to travel light when I fly, no baggage to check, so I was wondering, will there be any problems if I bring calipers with me as carry-on? I'm flying domestic US, if that makes any difference. I've had enough stuff confiscated that I'd like to double check before I donate anything else to TSA. I'm sure you could technically stab someone with calipers, but then again, a pen would probably do more damage.

Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Non-cutting tools under 7 inches are supposed to be allowed. But as always with the TSA YMMV. As this looks like a 6" caliper it should be under the limit.

You might want to print this out just in case. I am not promising they will look at it, though.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: Double Unobtainium, Grace L. Ferguson Airline & Storm Door Co.
Originally Posted by ksn
I like to travel light when I fly, no baggage to check, so I was wondering, will there be any problems if I bring calipers with me as carry-on?
I doubt it would be a problem, but as TSA has repeatedly shown us, it's up to the individual TSO you get that day. Because something that's allowed everywhere else (and might be explicitly permitted on the TSA website or app) may all of a sudden be denied by an individual TSO acting on their own authority. No common sense, no accountability, no appeal.

Last edited by Vidiot; Aug 9, 2011 at 8:10 pm Reason: taking image out of quoted portion to save screen real estate
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some TSA types will think its a hatchet.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:35 pm
ksn
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll bring a backup bag incase they won't let it through.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
... or they'll think you're gonna try to measure the plane inch by inch with .001 accuracy. Wait, never mind, they won't know what a caliper is.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:21 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ksn
Thanks, I'll bring a backup bag incase they won't let it through.
I pack a Priority Mail prepaid flat rate envelope, pre-addressed back to the office. Wadded up USA Today makes acceptable padding in most cases. Ask for permission to mail it home. There should be a drop box somewhere for USPS or the airline should drop it in outgoing.

What ever you do, do not take it out of your carry on. Let them find it. They probably will not.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:25 pm

Don't forget to remove the battery, and store the battery in a ziplock bag.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by tripice351
Why?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
You might want to print this out just in case. I am not promising they will look at it, though.
You'll find that website is out of date, though.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by tripice351
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Why?
I thought it was a TSA "rule".. apparently it's only a "tip".

http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:52 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
That caliper uses a single button cell watch battery. The biggest danger would be swallowing it.

If you don't really need the accuracy of Mitutoyo, you might want to think about getting a $10 cheap one from Harbor Freight in case they want to take it away.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:23 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Only if your name on your boarding pass is Lizzie Borden . But seriously, my two hockey pucks say it's gonna be a TSA no-no.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: Star Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
Only if your name on your boarding pass is Lizzie Borden . But seriously, my two hockey pucks say it's gonna be a TSA no-no.
Even if it is, there is huge variability of enforcement. I carry these around and often forget to take them out, and (sending them through the Xray) never once have had them taken away from me. They have two needle-sharp points.

http://www.amazon.com/Prestige-46-EK.../dp/B00062N428

But as others have said, if you want to keep it, check it. I'd be more careful if the EKG calipers cost more than a few dollars.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: M+ 1K, HHonors Gold, PC Gold, SPG Gold
Definitely YMMV.

I was bringing a mitutoyo caliper to China on one of my trips and the TSA agent at EWR said I was not allowed to take it because of the sharp "blades". I explained to them what it was for and they had to get the supervisor. The supervisor immediately knew what it was and said it was ok. I'm pretty sure it would have had it taken away if not for that "knowledgeable" TSA supervisor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.