Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Refusing "Say Your Name" and new SPOT Questions: Opt-Out Experiences

Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Since the 'say your name' stupidity along with new SPOT procedures are upon us, I thought we should have a new thread to list our opt-out experiences and provide guidance to fellow FTers on how to avoid this nonsense without getting arrested or missing flights.

I am not flying until Aug16, but I am interested in how others have been dealing with the 'say your name' crap.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Geez - It's hard to keep up with all this nonsense! Actually, I started a "say your name" thread a while back. It's become quite populated.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Geez - It's hard to keep up with all this nonsense! Actually, I started a "say your name" thread a while back. It's become quite populated.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:40 pm

Isn't "None of your business" or "I don't care to share that information with you" a completely valid and truthful answer to anything they ask?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:51 pm

I was thinking of sweetly saying as to a kindergartener: "Let me help you sound that out."
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Mad_Max_Esq
Isn't "None of your business" or "I don't care to share that information with you" a completely valid and truthful answer to anything they ask?
Then you are not playing their game (and the power trippers would
consider that a refusal to submit to the screening process).

I've just about decided to let them know that out of an abundance
of caution and to protect my privacy in places where thieves frequent
that I don't say my name out loud but I would be happy to write down
the phonetic version for them since I do expect they know how to read
(I'd also have to work in a less friendly version using the international
phonetic alphabet, just reading those things in dictionaries makes
me stumble, I just can't wrap my head around all those diacritics
and where one needs to use the proper notation and so forth).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.