Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RFID identity protection for GE cards?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:31 am
Original Poster

RFID identity protection for GE cards?

Had to chuckle when I received my GE card in the mail with instructions for activating it and the suggestion that I keep it in the metallic sleeve provided in order to protect any sensitive ID information from being accidentally shared.

Is this the same kind of RFID that is in my US passport? The same one that the government tells us does not need to be protected? Oh well, I use a protective case for my passport anyway even if I do have to remove it for CBP as I pass through immigration.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I keep my GE card inside it's little metal pouch, then placed inside the closed covers of my passport.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I too keep my sensitive rf chips in protective sleeves just incase. Though my SO thought I should also get one for my head (i.e. a tin hat).

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Nov 2, 2012 at 7:59 am
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I keep my GE card in my safe at home, as I have no use for it.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL PM
For US passports, I thought that all your personal information came from their side and the RFID tag in the passport just replaced having to scan the barcode.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by jb008
For US passports, I thought that all your personal information came from their side and the RFID tag in the passport just replaced having to scan the barcode.
No, the RFID provides all of the information that's on the first page of the passport (name, DOB, etc., digitized photo).
Old Nov 5, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jb008
For passport cards, the chip contains a code that links to the data stored in a government database (so you'd need the code plus database access):

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt...card_3926.html

Passports embed data from the passport in the chip:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_2788.html
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:24 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
Had to chuckle when I received my GE card in the mail with instructions for activating it and the suggestion that I keep it in the metallic sleeve provided in order to protect any sensitive ID information from being accidentally shared.

Is this the same kind of RFID that is in my US passport? The same one that the government tells us does not need to be protected? Oh well, I use a protective case for my passport anyway even if I do have to remove it for CBP as I pass through immigration.
Supposedly the cover of the passport blocks RFID, so keeping it shut is the same as keeping the card in the metallic sleeve. As to how effective/true that is... well...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.