Wiki Posts
Search

Mission Creep Continues

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Mission Creep Continues

Another report on what we can expect from the TSA in the coming year. I am not sure why passenger cars and trucks need to be screened (though the author thinks of screening of passenger cars can't be far behind). I thought there was going to be a cut in TSA budget? I think they need another 4 or 5 billion cut from next year's budget.

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/06/...systems-yearly

Edited to clarify the reference to passenger cars.

Last edited by HawaiiTrvlr; Jun 21, 2011 at 12:13 pm
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I think they need another 4 or 5 billion cut from next year's budget.
TSA is going to need all that money to fight jurisdictional challenges in Texas, Michigan, Utah, Alaska, New Jersey and hopefully more states where citizens are starting to wake up and smell the Robust Fascist Blend coffee.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I am not sure why passenger cars and trucks need to be screened
...so they can hire more people and spend more money on shiny toys with blinkenlights that don't actually do anything useful for "security," but can easily be used to bypass constitutional restrictions on intrusive searches by calling them "administrative."

It should be pretty obvious by now that we're well past "if you don't like it, don't fly" and into "if you don't like it, don't leave your house."

The next step will be "if you don't like it, leave the United States and don't come back."
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:44 pm

USA TSA TSOs - putting the "Creep" in "Mission Creep" since 2002!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Here is a quote from President Obama, July 2nd, 2008:

We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set. We've got to have a civilian national security force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded.
There are some, and for now it is a very small number, that believe that the TSA may be the implementation of this.

(I hope this did not make this OMNI bait......)
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really have to wonder what these non-airport screenings are supposed to accomplish. Most everything that TSA disallows on aircraft is legal to possess in one form or another. I can (and from time to time do) keep a pocket knife in my pocket. When I scuba dive or snorkel, I bring a long a dive knife with a nice, sharp 6" blade. I have, on occasion, brought bags of fertilizer home from the garden store. I always have some kind of electronic device with me.

I will never, under any circumstances, allow an off-airport search of my car, my possessions or my person, without a warrant or without having presented probable cause to a law enforcement officer, other than, of course, permitting the required Terry pat-down if a law enforcement officer feels that its necessary for his/her own protection.

I don't care if I'm riding a train, a bus, a bicycle, driving my car down the street, or walking through the park.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PTravel
I really have to wonder what these non-airport screenings are supposed to accomplish. Most everything that TSA disallows on aircraft is legal to possess in one form or another. I can (and from time to time do) keep a pocket knife in my pocket. When I scuba dive or snorkel, I bring a long a dive knife with a nice, sharp 6" blade. I have, on occasion, brought bags of fertilizer home from the garden store. I always have some kind of electronic device with me.

I will never, under any circumstances, allow an off-airport search of my car, my possessions or my person, without a warrant or without having presented probable cause to a law enforcement officer, other than, of course, permitting the required Terry pat-down if a law enforcement officer feels that its necessary for his/her own protection.

I don't care if I'm riding a train, a bus, a bicycle, driving my car down the street, or walking through the park.
Even in the constitution free zone where they claim they can stop and search you without a warrant or probable cause.

Mr. Elliott
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
TSA was actually stopping semi trucks on public roads and searching them during their little war game exorcizes just last week. It's not something theoretical or hearsay, it is already happening.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
...I will never, under any circumstances, allow an off-airport search of my car, my possessions or my person, without a warrant or without having presented probable cause to a law enforcement officer, other than, of course, permitting the required Terry pat-down if a law enforcement officer feels that its necessary for his/her own protection.

+1 ^

These goons can go kiss my ***** if they think they have even a remote chance of searching me or my car outside of an airport sterile area - and that includes searches *at* the airport attempted outside of the sterile area.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
Originally Posted by Caradoc
The next step will be "if you don't like it, leave the United States and don't come back."
Sadly, this is starting to sound very tempting...@:-)
Old Jun 21, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
The best part about the article cited here is it that was published by Mother Jones Magazine, a leading Left Wing magazine, and is linked to and being promoted by Drudge Report, a leading Right Wing news aggregation website.

I'd hope everyone, regardless of their political affiliation can at least feel some warm fuzziness over the fact that the activist elements at both ends of the political spectrum finally have one issue where they find common ground. The TSA would do well to note that. The Left AND the Right is pi#*ed off at them, NO ONE is happy with them, and the best they can claim is that some of the population in the center is still indifferent at this time. Although I'm getting the impression the TSA really doesn't care what the public thinks any more and will have to have public opinion shoved down their throats.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
The best part about the article cited here is it that was published by Mother Jones Magazine, a leading Left Wing magazine, and is linked to and being promoted by Drudge Report, a leading Right Wing news aggregation website.

I'd hope everyone, regardless of their political affiliation can at least feel some warm fuzziness over the fact that the activist elements at both ends of the political spectrum finally have one issue where they find common ground. The TSA would do well to note that. The Left AND the Right is pi#*ed off at them, NO ONE is happy with them, and the best they can claim is that some of the population in the center is still indifferent at this time. Although I'm getting the impression the TSA really doesn't care what the public thinks any more and will have to have public opinion shoved down their throats.
Happily, this is an issue that transcends party affiliation -- both the left and right are appalled at this trashing of the Constitution and move towards a police state.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:56 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Caradoc
...so they can hire more people and spend more money on shiny toys with blinkenlights that don't actually do anything useful for "security," but can easily be used to bypass constitutional restrictions on intrusive searches by calling them "administrative."

It should be pretty obvious by now that we're well past "if you don't like it, don't fly" and into "if you don't like it, don't leave your house."

Bolding mine: For the benefit of the youngun's out there , this was tried during the 60's & 70's but the 'spression was: "My country, love it or leave it" and we all know how that worked out
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:59 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Happily, this is an issue that transcends party affiliation -- both the left and right are appalled at this trashing of the Constitution and move towards a police state.
From last fall it has been my contention that there are two groups of people that support the TSA, select government employees and those that have not yet gotten all of the information.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:57 am

Perhaps TSA has a childish need to prove that it can "play in traffic". Look at me, Mommy DHS.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.