Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Has DHS done away with the rule about crossing cabins on US-bound int'l flights?

Has DHS done away with the rule about crossing cabins on US-bound int'l flights?

Old Jun 11, 2011, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM

I remember on previous international flights to the US there being an announcement about remaining in your ticketed cabin. This wasn't an airline's individual rule about such, rather it was a "security related" regulation. On my last flight back to the US (BA from LHR) there was no such announcement. Furthermore, I was not only allowed to cross cabins, but practically encouraged to do so (I was seated in F and the self-serve snack station is in J, which means passing through the prem econ cabin).

So is the rule gone, is it just not enforced or is it different on a 747 because crossing cabins doesn't put you any closer or further from the flight deck?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 4:52 pm

Don't recall hearing that on my recent flight, but the flight map
was obviously off in a way it has never been in the last 15 years and
it was turned off for the last hour or so.

Yup, those terrorists aren't going to look at the scheduled arrival times
on the tickets (which are usually a good estimate), or maybe someone
assumes they can't read, I can't be sure.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Recently (last week) flew IAD-GRU & GRU-ORD. On the first flight, the purser just asked us to stay in our ticketed cabin, and not cross the various curtain (mostly for Y pax to not come into C/F).

On GRU-ORD, the Captain welcome us aboard, and then mentioned how it was an international security requirement for us to stay in our ticketed cabins..

As far as the map, I'm not sure what happened on your flights. Haven't heard of them being turned off early since the undie-bomber. All of my international flights in 2010/2011 have had map service the entire flight.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:18 pm

Feel like I'm slow, not picking up on the security risk of crossing cabins.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
Feel like I'm slow, not picking up on the security risk of crossing cabins.
I suppose it's similar to TSA checking IDs, or some of the other security theater practices.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Plat, Avis PP
It is not yet gone. This was announced recently on an AMS-ATL Delta flight I took. Although, I am unable to understand the rationale behind such a crazy rule.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by gradybush
It is not yet gone. This was announced recently on an AMS-ATL Delta flight I took. Although, I am unable to understand the rationale behind such a crazy rule.
My guess is that the first class passengers don't want to mingle with the commoners, but that is just a guess...
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by VelvetJones
My guess is that the first class passengers don't want to mingle with the commoners, but that is just a guess...
Well it's because the FC lavs are so much nicer, what, with the tile floors and chandeliers..
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:16 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

It was announced a few weeks ago on my SFO-SYD and SYD-LAX flights on UA.

Heck, they announced it on my LGA-ORD flight last week too.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Does such a federal regulation actually exist? Because of course it would make perfect sense in federal world. Forget the billions being stolen in fraud in federal programs. Forget the uninspected cargo being sent on planes every day. Forget the thousands of ramp workers who wander in and out of "secure" areas without inspection. Nope, we MUST keep coach hillbillies away from Business Class. THAT is the real threat to America!
Old Jun 12, 2011, 9:16 pm

This is VERY aggressively announced and enforced on US carriers on international flights to to the US. This--I believe--a TSA rule, not company policy. They always make some announcement: sometimes it's polite, sometimes ridiculously stern.

I have observed cabin crew have panic level aggression when a curtain is breached on US-bound flight.

On domestic flights, Continental asks that passengers use the lavatory in their ticketed cabin. American made it public that they would not have any rules about which lavatories passengers use--at least on domestic flights.

The only advantage I see is that it's nice to keep the business and first class lavatories available for passengers in those cabins, but I see no need for DEFCON-4 reactions, nor do I think that threatening announcements have any role (or value).
Old Jun 13, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Of course there's no law against it, it's just an excuse for the airlines to use to try and keep coach passengers back in coach.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:27 pm

Hey, why should those guys who paid a lot more have to associate with the scum who only can afford coach? Just joking. I'm part of the scum. Actually I can afford more but seldom choose to go first class (unless its a cheap upgrade).
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:53 pm

I just called TSA and they weren't able to find such a rule. Doesn't mean there isn't one. Could be the agent doesn't know where to look.

I've escalated the question.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 2:33 pm

TSA called back. They said they have no idea if there is such a rule and they have no way to find out.

I'm not making this up.

They said to call DHS, which I did. DHS transferred me to TSA. When I hung up and called back (reminding them that I told them TSA had sent me to them so don't do that again) the operator dumped me on some poor guy in records who was as confused as I as to why he should know.

Next I tried the Communications Department of TSA figuring their job was to, well, communicate. They refused to talk to me or even give me a contact for someone that would.

Finally I called the local office of the TSA. They at least offered to try and see if there is such a rule and if so what it is.

Stay tuned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.