Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA and NCIC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Good Guy
No, I'm saying I do good investigative police work. I don't take the word of any party that a crime has been commited. I ask questions and make judgement calls based on my experience.
But what exactly is the reason to detain a person based only on a call from TSA.

Again if the below passage is the standard then what is the basis of the detention?

Police may briefly detain a person if they have reasonable suspicion that the person has been, is, or is about to be engaged in criminal activity; such a detention is known as a Terry stop.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
But what exactly is the reason to detain a person based only on a call from TSA.
There are so many variables to that question. You are looking for a black and white answer and I can't give you one.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Good Guy
There are so many variables to that question. You are looking for a black and white answer and I can't give you one.
Do you have to believe that the person has or is about to commit a crime?

If that is the case I don't see how TSA calling for police would in many cases meet that standard.

Seems the playing field is not fair and TSA/Police are engaging in conduct that is at best questionable. Shouldn't any doubt always go to the citizens benefit?

edit to add: if you can't tell me why you would stop a person how in heck could you tell a judge?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
if you can't tell me why you would stop a person how in heck could you tell a judge?
That's why the requirement is actually a reasonable and articulable suspicion*. 99% of the time it'll never get as far as judge anyway.

* http://www.laaw.com/seizure_chart.htm
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
That's why the requirement is actually a reasonable and articulable suspicion*. 99% of the time it'll never get as far as judge anyway.

* http://www.laaw.com/seizure_chart.htm
OK, but the responder can't articulate a suspicion when asked. Before the stop doesn't the reasonable suspicion have to be already developed?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by RogerRabbit
Hello,

I am wondering if anybody knows for certain/has links to articles about TSA and if it has powers to search NCIC?

I believe this to be a great intrusion of privacy. I am doing a report, however, I cannot find any solid facts on it -- other than NCIC is permitted for "authorized agencies".

Thank you
TSA does not, it is regulated to law enforcement only.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by Bearcat06
I don't need PC......I just need RS to run you.....and my RS is that I was called to a situation and I want to know who you are......and if you have had issues with the law before....
My bad, I should have written RS not PC. I knew better too.

But does someone calling a LEO seriously constitute RS that a crime has been or is likely to be committed? That's kind of scary. Have courts held that up?

If all the LEO has to do to justify RS is be summoned, and the TSA isn't required to articulate RS, mere suspicion, or anything to call a LEO, then that effectively creates a loophole for turning the TSA checkpoint into a NCIC dragnet.

What if the passenger refuses to present ID to the LEO, or refuses to answer questions as to his identity in states that don't require you to identify yourself? Does the LEO keep escalating (in the absense of any real RS or PC other than the summons from TSA) or back off? Sounds exactly like the situation that lead to Phil Mocek being arrested at the checkpoint.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Have you ever arrested a screener for abusive actions at a TSA checkpoint or do you always side with TSA?
Never have.... They were just being idiots and never did anything to break the law.....and being a jerk/asshat isn't against the law.....

If the following is a nominal definition of "Reasonable Suspicion" then how does a TSA employee summoning you reach this hurdle? Or can you detain a person just because you feel like it?
If TSA (and I say that because it's easier than saying First Line) called us to a Check point, there was obvisouly an issue. Per our SOP, we had to ID the person we were talking to and run them through NCIC/ALERTS to check for warrants and if they had any issues in their criminal history (like being violent towards Officers).

We did that on traffic stops, medical calls, and anything that requires me to show up......
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by studentff
But does someone calling a LEO seriously constitute RS that a crime has been or is likely to be committed? That's kind of scary. Have courts held that up?

Got to remember, when a LEO comes to a checkpoint, we have no idea what is going on..... I want to know who I am talking to and if they have had any issues with the police in the past (like being violent....and yes, we get that from NCIC hits) and if they have warrants.....

I do that on dog bite calls, medical calls, traffic stops, domestics, etc.... I am called to the scene of something....

Yeap....courts have up held it.....

If all the LEO has to do to justify RS is be summoned, and the TSA isn't required to articulate RS, mere suspicion, or anything to call a LEO, then that effectively creates a loophole for turning the TSA checkpoint into a NCIC dragnet.

Me showing up is RS that something is a foot. Further, TSA only called us when they were having issues. They didn't call us for every little stupid thing.....

What if the passenger refuses to present ID to the LEO, or refuses to answer questions as to his identity in states that don't require you to identify yourself?

Not sure about other States, but in MO, you had to chat with me....and I never, ever had anyone not give me ID or talk with me..... Everyone wanted to get it over with and do what they need to do so they can fly.....

And yes, if, in my opinion ,TSA was at fault, I noted that in my report....... And yes, at least at MCI, if we were called to a checkpoint, we had to initiate a report.... Most Cops hate taking reports....so.... if they were being pinheads, it was duly noted...... And I would tell folks that I was noting what they told me in my report.....
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bearcat06
Never have.... They were just being idiots and never did anything to break the law.....and being a jerk/asshat isn't against the law.....

If TSA (and I say that because it's easier than saying First Line) called us to a Check point, there was obvisouly an issue. Per our SOP, we had to ID the person we were talking to and run them through NCIC/ALERTS to check for warrants and if they had any issues in their criminal history (like being violent towards Officers).

We did that on traffic stops, medical calls, and anything that requires me to show up......
Still sounds to me that you are running people without Reasonable Suspicion.

Is an "issue" reasonable suspicion?

On what evidence are you making such determinations?

If I am going through TSA screening and the screener karate chops my balls and a LEO is summoned are you going to run just me or both myself and the TSA employee through NCIC?
Old Apr 6, 2011, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Still sounds to me that you are running people without Reasonable Suspicion.

Is an "issue" reasonable suspicion?

On what evidence are you making such determinations?

If I am going through TSA screening and the screener karate chops my balls and a LEO is summoned are you going to run just me or both myself and the TSA employee through NCIC?
What makes you think that a LEO needs reasonable suspicion to run anybody NCIC?
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
What makes you think that a LEO needs reasonable suspicion to run anybody NCIC?
A LEO needs reasonable and articulable suspicion before having any investigative interaction with a member of the public. Theoretically of course; in practice you are absolutely correct.

Doesn't make it right or legal.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:23 pm

A LEO needs reasonable and articulable suspicion before having any investigative interaction with a member of the public. Theoretically of course; in practice you are absolutely correct.

Doesn't make it right or legal.
This is just patently incorrect. LEOs can run license plates on cars without reasonable suspicion, they can run checks on addresses for warrants without reasonable suspicion, they can perform all sorts of inquiries of CJIS without reasonable suspicion. What they do with the information and what actions they take after that are what's important.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
This is just patently incorrect. LEOs can run license plates on cars without reasonable suspicion, they can run checks on addresses for warrants without reasonable suspicion, they can perform all sorts of inquiries of CJIS without reasonable suspicion. What they do with the information and what actions they take after that are what's important.
I'm talking face to face as in
a member of the public
not a car, house or other inanimate object.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:42 pm

I'm talking face to face as in not a car, house or other inanimate object.
And you're still incorrect. Are you aware that some municipalities require motel employees to collect names and ID of guests? Are you aware that the motel employees are then required to turn over that information to the local cops? What do you think the local cops do with it? Sit on it? Of course not, they have warrant squads that run those names and attempt to go find those people if something interesting comes up on a CJIS inquiry. Is there any reasonable suspicion involved other than being a guest at a motel that has been used in the past for prostitution or a known narcotics location? Nope, and it's perfectly legal.

I guess we can quibble on what your interpretation of an "investigative interaction" is.

Suppose a LEO is called to a checkpoint because a passenger was acting "strangely" talking to themselves, upset, whatever, no other information provided by the TSO. LEO shows up, passenger is long gone because knowing his/her rights they know that the TSO clerk can't detain them. Anyway, LEO shows up, passenger is gone, but ooops, left behind their wallet with an ID in it. Don't think that the LEO can't run the name and DOB through CJIS????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.