Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Is there anything in your carry-on that COULD be used as a weapon?

Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:35 am
Original Poster

"Is there anything in your carry-on that COULD be used as a weapon?"

If you answer honestly? Yes...
...then you are in for a 'chat' - truth is? nearly anything could be used as a weapon - a BIC pen comes to mind. A nasty little tool if you know how to use it.

If you answer as they expect you to answer? No - then some nit-picker will (or could) make an issue of it IF you're carrying a pen with you.

Or is it best to just answer as the uninformed do with a simple 'no'?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1P
For that matter, most carry-ons make great bludgeoning objects...

Who the heck asks that?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
The question is often asked at overseas airports of flyers heading to the United States.

I always answer yes, and then start listing the things that could be used as weapons: pens, books, shoes, shoelaces, even my laptop could be used to strike someone! After a while, they just let me go. Never fails.

Bruce
Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
DSLR Camera body, laptop brick, rollerboard, bare hands.. I guess the UA agent @ LHR this weekend is going to have to cut my hands off..
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:06 am

all of it

Ask anyone who's worked in a correctional institution .. practically anything can be turned into weapon.

A toothbrush (or anything plastic) can be sharpened into a shank.
Anything metal can be sharpened into a knife (particularly dangerous would be the stainless or aluminum poles in the handles of carry-on if sharpened into a spear point).

etc. etc.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
You can garrot somebody with dental floss. You can blind someone by spraying deodorant in their eyes. You can give someone an unwanted tracheotomy with a ballpoint pen. You can knock someone cold with a laptop battery. You can remove someone's eye with a knitting needle. You can use the tiny file on a nail clipper to saw a Coke can in half, then slash someone's throat open with the resulting edge. The possibilities are endless.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
You can garrot somebody with dental floss. You can blind someone by spraying deodorant in their eyes. You can give someone an unwanted tracheotomy with a ballpoint pen. You can knock someone cold with a laptop battery. You can remove somone's eye with a knitting needle. You can use the tiny file on a nail clipper to saw a Coke can in half, then slash someone's throat open with the resulting edge. The possibilities are endless.
I don't think I'd want to be around you if you ever got really angry.

But you're right. Forget carry-ons -- my keys could make serviceable brass knuckles, my necktie a garrote, my pin a stabbing instrument, and my shoe a sap. Even a rolled-up magazine can make a club.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
You can garrot somebody with dental floss. You can blind someone by spraying deodorant in their eyes. You can give someone an unwanted tracheotomy with a ballpoint pen. You can knock someone cold with a laptop battery. You can remove someone's eye with a knitting needle. You can use the tiny file on a nail clipper to saw a Coke can in half, then slash someone's throat open with the resulting edge. The possibilities are endless.
I could kill somebody with a spork if I were angry/motivated enough.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by PTravel
Even a rolled-up magazine can make a club.
Ever see "Alien"? Jam a rolled-up copy of Hemispheres in someone's mouth, press hard, you can kill them.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: Bellanca Turbo Viking, AA Gold/Plat
lets see -

break the glass in my laptop - now you have sharp glass

shoelaces as a garrotte

insulin from diabetics is a weapon in those not diabetic

swing my laptop in the bag is a pretty good 5lb bludgeon

thats off the top of my head - no idea what a decent CIA trained killer can find and use - so the answer is ALWAYS yes.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:08 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by dorothybaez
I could kill somebody with a spork if I were angry/motivated enough.
Ha! KFC does that as a standard business practice, it just takes longer.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
This is always a fun topic that simply 99.999999999999999999% of clerks dont get at all. There view of the world is so narrow its not funny. Its sad that I have a 1 minute SNL monologue that just shows how stupid TSA is. They like to argue that a <1" blade on a mini leather is a threat, but yet the following list in my carry on isnt, in reality a pocket knife is a non threat.

Forceps
Mini-Medic bag (full bag of torture devices that can also save your life)
Trauma Shears (can cut quarters with ease as well as bone)
Fiskar scissors (surgically sharp and are a 2n1 with the screw removal)
Stethescope
Blood Pressure Cuff
Glucometer
Chop sticks
Wood pencil
Bic Ballpoint pen
Cross Pen
Canon 5DmkII w/ Canon 70-200 L IS lens
Tripod
Monopod
Lightstand
Flash unit
Rechargable Batteries
Laptop
Powersupply and cord
magazine
Spoon
Spork
Nalgene bottle
and so on between my backpack and rollaboard there are more then a few.

Then there is my mind and body, that is the most dangerous combo there is because with my bare hands I have the power to save lives or end them.

Just about anything can be used as a weapon, which i will second the jail comment as i have seen some very ingenious weapons and ways of hiding them.

woo hooo 1000th post
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: US Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Darkumbra

...then you are in for a 'chat' - truth is? nearly anything could be used as a weapon - a BIC pen comes to mind. A nasty little tool if you know how to use it.

If you answer as they expect you to answer? No - then some nit-picker will (or could) make an issue of it IF you're carrying a pen with you.

It's a dumb question and yes, it's asked a lot in overseas airports when you're flying to the US.

I just say, "I hope not." That seems to me to cover all the bases.

They also sometimes ask if you have anything that *looks* like a weapon. Once, many (15-20) years ago, I was pulled over for 2ndary inspection for what looked like a suspicious object. It was a toy model of a Concorde jet I had bought in the airport just before going through security.

wg
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Darkumbra

My father was trained specifically to use a rolled-up newspaper as weapon in his <ahem> company days
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by Scubatooth
Powersupply and cord
I'm pretty sure my 10ft laptop power cord could be used to strangle someone.

And I'd be curious to see how the power brick shows on the x-ray. I bet you someone could hide stuff in there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.