Wiki Posts
Search

Reasons to still opt out of MMW w/ATR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
Reasons to still opt out of MMW w/ATR

I am one of the strongest propoenents of opting out, and I have had the privilege of having my "resistance sack" (as someone else coined it) felt by many hundreds of TSA agents around the country. While I will continue to opt out of the backscatter machines, now that the MMW machines have automatic threat resolution (ATR), I've began to wonder if it is still worth my time to opt out of the MMW/ATR machines.

So here's my question, what are people's reasons for still opting out of the MMW with ATR? Related to this, is there ANY argument that MMW machines aren't "safe"?

Last edited by tacostuff; Jan 7, 2013 at 9:28 am
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:21 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
An unnecessary naked image is still generated, and if desired, stored.

There is no viable reason to use any naked scanner when the WTMD/HHMD + ETD/ETP is more secure and less invasive.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Spiff
There is no viable reason to use any naked scanner when the WTMD/HHMD + ETD/ETP is more secure and less invasive.
In terms of government policy, I'd agree, I'd like to see that change. But as a traveler, that's not my choice. My choice is MMW+ATR, or a pat down. I'm satisfied about MMW safety, and find the pat down more intrusive than the slim chance of someone viewing the naked image.

I used to opt out of all the scanners - and still will if faced with a backscatter - but I routinely accept the MMW+ATR scan.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:41 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by swag
In terms of government policy, I'd agree, I'd like to see that change. But as a traveler, that's not my choice. My choice is MMW+ATR, or a pat down. I'm satisfied about MMW safety, and find the pat down more intrusive than the slim chance of someone viewing the naked image.

I used to opt out of all the scanners - and still will if faced with a backscatter - but I routinely accept the MMW+ATR scan.
The use of the nudeoscope, even MMW-ATR, does not preclude a groping.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag

That's exactly how the TSA wants all of us to react. Any kind of image-generating body scan using any part of the electromagnetic spectrum is offensive, intrusive, and completely non-responsive to the validated threat. I would much rather confront and go toe-to-toe with a clerk who grabs my genitals and make it personal.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I have surrendered to the ATR for one very selfish reason only, it reduces the time that my expensive tools are not in my control or sight. I even put them through the xray that I can watch while being scanned. I rarely get a post scan grope. Once they patted down my ear because I was wearing a sound amplifier. I left a quarter in my pocket another. A third was due to a loose hearing aid sized battery. None have been long or intrusive.

I still opt out of BSX.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Spiff
The use of the nudeoscope, even MMW-ATR, does not preclude a groping.
ANd, from my observations, results in a grope approaching 50% of the time.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
In addition to things already said, opting out of the NoS is one of the few ways of openly defying TSA that is visible at the airport and openly bogs down TSA's system/flow without serious risk of detention/arrest, etc.

I've seen *many* TSOs grumble about having to do an opt-out pat down and/or try to pass the task to someone else. Any action that makes that many TSOs unhappy has to be a good thing.

In addition, Nappie/Pistole DHS/TSA would very much like to obfuscate the fact that they want to "screen" under our clothes and around our genitals by "sanitizing" the process with hands-off NoS machines. Forcing them to actually touch you avoids this sanitization. And I'm beginning to believe that many of the TSO's doing the patdowns are more uncomfortable with what they are doing than the passengers are in receiving it. My conscience is clear; theirs may not be. See previous comment about unhappy TSOs.

Originally Posted by tacostuff
Related to this, is there ANY argument that MMW machines aren't "safe"?
I've seen some rather tenuous claims that MMW energy could cause or aggravate cataracts. But I personally think they are as safe as our cell phones, wifi, etc.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I have considered using the MMW/ATR in cases that it is present and PreCheck is not available. I'm comfortable with the fact that it probably doesn't have a health impact, and that there probably isn't someone in a room somewhere checking out naked images. But I still have a personal problem submitting to a screening device that was shoved down our throats, cost us millions, and doesn't have any advantage (and could be worse) than the WTMD. Getting the pat down doesn't bother me. I also make it very uncomfortable for the screener involved.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Because I can? I have never, and will never go through a NoS, whether it's MMW or BKSX. The ATR software seems pretty glitchy, and by no means is a guarantee to not getting groped.

I've fortunately not had to opt-out since July.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
This may sound silly to some, but in addition to all the other points made, I find it hard to watch people assume the position in the machines. It just doesn't seem right.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I am physically unable to assume and hold the position (although I can navigate the WTMD without a problem), so I get a full-body grope every time I fly. It doesn't make any difference whether it is the BSX or the MMW - or if the TSO lectures me about safety or warns me about potentially long waits and invasive 'patdowns' - I still can't assume and hold the position, and I still get told every single time that this means that I am an 'opt-out'.

Note: there are other posters here who are similarly physically limited who have been allowed to use the WTMD. We clearly fly different airports, because that has yet to be my experience.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
In addition to the main points made above, the NoS makes it difficult or impossible to keep visual contact with your possessions on the x-ray belt, thereby increasing the risk of theft or damage. With a (so-called) patdown, you have a better chance of watching your things.

I frequently get the (actual) patdown at airports in Australia, Asia and Europe and have always been able to position myself to watch my laptop and bags, although there are numerous reports of TSA screeners being difficult about it.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Some of the checkpoints make it hard to keep an eye on your bags (although when you are getting the grope, you are not limited by the position of the machines, so there is never a valid reason for obstructing your view of your belongings).

I have had a TSO deliberately stand in front of my and shift side to side to prevent me moving or even keeping an eye on my bags. In a way, the laugh is on them - I don't travel with much in the way of electronics (P&S camera, sometimes a cellphone) in my carry-on, and anything worth stealing is always in a locked pouch in my carry-ons now anyway.

Just once I got serious kickback about locking my carry-on. Transiting from intl-dom in LAX and the TSO insisted that I wasn't allowed to lock my bag (mandatory bag checks accompanied gropes at that time), then insisted that I couldn't touch or come near the bag to unlock it for inspection. Supervisor got called, stood there for a minute, then realized we were at an impasse. It was a combination lock and I wasn't going to give them the combination, so it was either call for a bolt-cutter or have me unlock it. I had time and was willing to submit to a bolt-cutter rather than give out my combination, so they finally had me unlock it.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:32 pm

How about saying this to the TSO who doesn't want you to opt out?

"I prefer humans over machines. I don't want machines to take over all our jobs. I'm a factory worker and I'm always afraid of losing my job to a machine. Aren't you worried that your job may one day be replaced by that body scanner over there?"

Act like you're really concerned about their job. Seriously, what are they going to say?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.