Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Can jewelry be worn when going through the body scanners?

Can jewelry be worn when going through the body scanners?

Old Feb 27, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: Frontier EarlyReturns
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
It's a matter of personal choice. Some people find the AIT scanners less objectionable than the "up-close-and-personal" physical pat-downs. Neither alternative is pleasant, and reasonable people will differ as to which of those two unpleasant choices is less unpleasant.
I have to go to the oncologist's office every 8 weeks, and that's definitely a place you never want to go. Groping, while extremely unpleasant, is a lot better than cancer, believe me.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by eyecue
Generally speaking you dont need to remove any jewelry when going through the imaging process. However big necklaces with large pendants should be moved around to the back of the torso, so when the patdown is done, the offficer does not have to pat the breast area.
The naked body scanners are SO GOOD that they cannot tell the difference between your necklace and a nuclear bomb, while often missing GUNS, hence the patdown. It probably depends on what they're smoking in the perv booth , but that's SSI.

I've watched plenty of patdowns done post AIT, and they are just as rude as an opt-out - they'll check your groin and waistband even if you have a nickel in your shirt pocket (??!!) what the heck, save yourself from the future cancers, and join my line.

:-:ALWAYS OPT-OUT:-:
Old Feb 27, 2011, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Wimpie
I've watched plenty of patdowns done post AIT, and they are just as rude as an opt-out - they'll check your groin and waistband even if you have a nickel in your shirt pocket (??!!) what the heck, save yourself from the future cancers, and join my line.
I have also observed this (full frisk to resolve an anomaly like a boarding pass in the pocket).

eyecue, I understood a full patdown after a WTMD alarm - you had no way of being sure where the alarm was coming from or if there were multiple sources that were alarming (coins in pocket and knife strapped to leg).

But why do you do a full frisk when the NoS operator observes an anomaly in the right front shirt pocket area?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
I have also observed this (full frisk to resolve an anomaly like a boarding pass in the pocket).

eyecue, I understood a full patdown after a WTMD alarm - you had no way of being sure where the alarm was coming from or if there were multiple sources that were alarming (coins in pocket and knife strapped to leg).

But why do you do a full frisk when the NoS operator observes an anomaly in the right front shirt pocket area?
I would say that the full patdown is done not because of an anomaly found on the person being seen by the screener, but because the screener viewing the scan of the person was not looking at the screen and couldn't say the passenger was all clear.

So the SSI is that a full patdown must be performed on all passengers after going through the NOS because the screener in the secret room missed something because they glanced away from the screen. So when one hears the screener tell the frisker that ''The object is on the passengers left right leg above the knee." That is just words to cover his/her behind from having to say. ''Passenger needs patdown because I wasn't looking at the screen."
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:32 pm

I won't remove my wedding or engagement ring either no matter what they say or ask. My husband tried to throw his wedding ring once into the bins when we were flying out of Norfolk and the TSO told him to put it back on, that he didn't need to take it off. I about kicked him for even taking it off.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by chollie
I dont. That was what they had wands for - they could determine body areas that alarmed. Then they decided they no longer wanted to use wands, and the full blown frisking began.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.