Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA bag inspections / search AFTER travel (Savannah train incident) [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA bag inspections / search AFTER travel (Savannah train incident) [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:21 pm

I can't decide if the 'smile and wave for the camera' from the woman on the right is someone trying to make the best of the situation (especially when children are involved), or someone who doesn't take issue with the situation.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cartoon Peril
I'd sure be curious to hear what the possible justification can be for searching people who are GETTING OFF of a train.
The only explanation I can think of is that every last one of the people involved in setting up such a checkpoint is such an utter imbecile that merely two hundred years ago they would have been eaten by something while on their way to the outhouse - from the management who ordered it to the blue-shirted dimbulbs who carried it out.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by doober
There's no mention of Rep. Cissna being threatened with a fine for refusing the pat down and leaving the airport.
I pointed that out to her when I sent her an e-mail of support along with others. It appears on the face of it that she got special treatment, either because she's a politician, or maybe because the SEA TSA exercised some humanity and common sense.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:35 pm

I'd sure be curious to hear what the possible justification can be for searching people who are GETTING OFF of a train.
I may be reaching for an explanation, but perhaps this is due to a possible threat of terrorism in locations other than an airport. Hasn't the discussion here often been about crowded locations being a possible target for terrorist attacks?

Now, having said that, the Amtrak station in Savannah is not what I would consider a crowded location. Even the trains and stations I have used in the Northeast corridor are not nearly as crowded as train stations in much of Europe.

Perhaps this was a test in a relatively quiet station, in preparation for future inspections in busier train stations?

(To clarify, I am not in agreement with the situation, but am trying to find a logical explanation)
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by exbayern
I may be reaching for an explanation, but perhaps this is due to a possible threat of terrorism in locations other than an airport. Hasn't the discussion here often been about crowded locations being a possible target for terrorist attacks?

Now, having said that, the Amtrak station in Savannah is not what I would consider a crowded location. Even the trains and stations I have used in the Northeast corridor are not nearly as crowded as train stations in much of Europe.

Perhaps this was a test in a relatively quiet station, in preparation for future inspections in busier train stations?

(To clarify, I am not in agreement with the situation, but am trying to find a logical explanation)
I am looking for a logical explanation too. I can understand 'testing' at a location. I do not understand screening on exit.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chollie
I do not understand screening on exit.
Isn't it obvious?

They're not looking for "threat items" if they're screening people getting off the train.

They're looking for contraband. Drugs, probably.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:45 pm

I am looking for a logical explanation too. I can understand 'testing' at a location. I do not understand screening on exit.
Moscow airport bombing at baggage claim? Based on past behaviour they tend to be reactive rather than proactive. (I don't know the date of when this actually occurred ie was it after the bombing?)

It's a reach, but perhaps they are using this as a test before setting up real checks in baggage claim areas in US airports?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
And here I'd been told train passengers could escape "pat-downs."

In fairness what's shown in the video is less intrusive than the TSA's euphemistically and inaccurately named "pat-downs."
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:53 pm
Suspended

I can't even accept testing, especially if, as it appears, travelers were not told they could refuse the treatment.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fredd
And here I'd been told train passengers could escape "pat-downs."

In fairness what's shown in the video is less intrusive than the TSA's euphemistically and inaccurately named "pat-downs."
Agreed, but TSA is however pawing through their bags, wanding down the soles of the feet (for what, fake metal feet?), and treating the children like criminals, and all this on the way OUT of the train depot.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:01 pm

Agreed, but TSA is however pawing through their bags, wanding down the soles of the feet (for what, fake metal feet?), and treating the children like criminals, and all this on the way OUT of the train depot.
How silly for some of us to think of the TSA as reactive...

Those children were lucky to be exempted from having their private parts touched. The TSA might say their mother should be grateful.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:20 pm

First time I've seen this. Forwarded it to Drudge, two people at Fox News and two Congresspeople. What amazes me is these people just go along with it. TSA would probably say it's voluntary and it is since there were no objections, although a few backround voices were commenting how stupid it was to do this after they arrive, but then stupid is the definition of T&A.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by I'd Rather Walk
What amazes me is these people just go along with it. TSA would probably say it's voluntary and it is since there were no objections, although a few backround voices were commenting how stupid it was to do this after they arrive, but then stupid is the definition of T&A.
The comments made by the YouTube uploader were that the people getting off the train were directed to proceed to the search area. There appears to have been nothing voluntary about it. The mother of course was in no position to put herself in jeopardy of being arrested, as she had the two young boys to be concerned about.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:35 pm

How in the world could anyone be arrested for refusing to be searched after arriving and getting off the train? The search is to protect the airplane or train and it's passengers. They have no authority to search anyone after the trip is completed.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by I'd Rather Walk
How in the world could anyone be arrested for refusing to be searched after arriving and getting off the train? The search is to protect the airplane or train and it's passengers. They have no authority to search anyone after the trip is completed.
Probably something along the lines of 'pax are still in a secured area and subject to personal and belonging search'. We've already seen BDOs and TSOs expand certain aspects of the search to airport parking lots and non-sterile areas of the airport. I don't see that train stations differ - they have exited the train, but are still in the train station, ie, probably a 'sterile' area, and I guess they could somehow have gotten hold of something that could be slipped to a departing passenger.

More importantly, what were they searching for and what actions could they have taken if they found something? Aren't beverages available on some trains? Could they apply the 3-1-1 policy on departure? Are pocket knives prohibited?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.