Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

House Dem Leader Calls For Special TSA Treatment for Congress

Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat

A top House Democrat said the attack on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) should change how members of Congress are screened at airports.

“I really believe that that is the place where we feel the most ill at ease, is going through airports,” Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.), who serves as assistant minority leader, said on "Fox News Sunday."

Clyburn called for the Transportation Security Administration, which administers airport security checkpoints, to interact “a little better” with the Capitol Hill

“We’ve had some incidents where TSA authorities think that congresspeople should be treated like everybody else,” he said. “Well, the fact of the matter is, we are held to a higher standard in so many other areas, and I think we need to take a hard look at exactly how the TSA interact with members of Congress.”Police.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
This is ridiculous -- a legislator-slimeball trying to leverage the tragedy in Arizona to score smoother airport transit for himself.

The next guy will claim the shooting means he shouldn't have to fly commercially anymore and needs a government Gulfstream of his own.

And Congress wonders why everybody hates them.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: TSA
Congressman Coble, Congresswoman Foxx and Senator Burr come through our checkpoint just like everyone else does when they fly from Greensboro (quite often I might add). I am uncertain as to how much traction this will get at this point.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: United
I was coming in here to say that I agree that members of Congress should have the special treatment from the TSA. This is not what I was expecting though. This is just another example of some animals being more equal than others.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
They should go through the NoS and get groped just like everybody else out of .....and abundance of caution.....

Sure makes me feel safer!^
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by welookgood.com
A top House Democrat said the attack on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) should change how members of Congress are screened at airports.

“I really believe that that is the place where we feel the most ill at ease, is going through airports,” Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.), who serves as assistant minority leader, said on "Fox News Sunday."

Clyburn called for the Transportation Security Administration, which administers airport security checkpoints, to interact “a little better” with the Capitol Hill

“We’ve had some incidents where TSA authorities think that congresspeople should be treated like everybody else,” he said. “Well, the fact of the matter is, we are held to a higher standard in so many other areas, and I think we need to take a hard look at exactly how the TSA interact with members of Congress.”Police.
Is the above "news" you made up to link the unlinked, or did you plagiarize the above from some internet item that you failed to mention?

If the situation is as you represent it, then it's a shame that such a tragedy in AZ would be exploited to try to exempt Congress even further from the TSA actions to which ordinary passengers are subjected.

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Congressman Coble, Congresswoman Foxx and Senator Burr come through our checkpoint just like everyone else does when they fly from Greensboro (quite often I might add). I am uncertain as to how much traction this will get at this point.
From information you gathered while on the job or dealing with other TSA employees, are you going to report upon the size of their genitals in your estimation too?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 12, 2011 at 2:42 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
From information you gathered while on the job or dealing with other TSA employees, are you going to report upon the size of their genitals in your estimation too?
I would have no idea on the above subject matter (seeing as how I have never seen nor touched the genitals of any of the folks I have mentioned), and if I ever did, I would not discuss it with anyone to begin with.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Maybe shackle them while on board, too...

Originally Posted by welookgood.com
...“We’ve had some incidents where TSA authorities think that congresspeople should be treated like everybody else,” he said. “Well, the fact of the matter is, we are held to a higher standard in so many other areas, and I think we need to take a hard look at exactly how the TSA interact with members of Congress.”....
Rep. Clyburn, I couldn't agree more.

All Federal employees, including and especially Congressmen, should have to go through the metal detector, the nudoscope, AND get a full and thorough grope, because we DO hold you to a higher standard.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: SSSSS
Found a source...

The Hill blog

Don't know if this was OP's post, but the comments are running 100% against Hon. Rep. Clyburn.

Perhaps we need an amendment: Congress shall make no law, and the Executive make no rule, for which its present, former and future members are exempt.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:51 am

^^^^

And the shape and size of the good congresswoman's breasts. And although it may not apply in this particular case, you could also tell us the details of the menstrual cycle.

Do you find this post offensive? It should be highly offensive and yet it is the absolute truth. You folks KNOW all this and have NO reason to do so. Unbelievable!
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by greentips
The Hill blog

Don't know if this was OP's post, but the comments are running 100% against Hon. Rep. Clyburn.

Perhaps we need an amendment: Congress shall make no law, and the Executive make no rule, for which its present, former and future members are exempt.
I have serious doubts that we'll ever see that happen in the US.

America's mandarin class -- including those on the military, intelligence, law enforcement types of payrolls -- would be up in arms along with the Congress and White House over any such amendment to the US Constitution. This mandarin class would cart out all sorts of excuses and exemptions to such a suggested Amendment leaving us where we are.

Originally Posted by gsoltso
I would have no idea on the above subject matter (seeing as how I have never seen nor touched the genitals of any of the folks I have mentioned), and if I ever did, I would not discuss it with anyone to begin with.
You certainly have an idea on the above subject matter. You already mentioned some details about specific passengers at your airports, so why not take it all the way and also talk about the details of the passengers' genital organs?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 12, 2011 at 2:43 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: AA, WN RR
I have serious doubts that we'll ever see that happen in the US.

America's mandarin class -- including those on the military, intelligence, law enforcement types of payrolls -- would be up in arms along with the Congress and White House over any such amendment to the US Constitution. This mandarin class would cart out all sorts of excuses and exemptions to such a suggested Amendment leaving us where we are.
The likely reaction of the American mandarin class to this proposed amendment is precisely why the Founding Fathers proposed and ratified the Second Amendment. The Second Amendment is the ultimate check and balance on government.

Rep. Clyburn's apparent call for members of Congress to be exempt from TSA screening is only the latest example of what I have seen referred to as the Imperial Congress. His attitude explains the recent election results. More statements like this one and Rep. Clyburn will have to find a job off the national government teat, or at least out of the legislative branch.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:08 am

I hope he waves to his constituents as he takes his entitlement pass on security.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:13 am

On second thought, this isn't the right time or venue to address this situation. Sending a letter such as I previously suggested only puts us at the level of Clyburn, and his actions are gross. Sorry, I got wrapped up in the heat of the moment.

Please disregard...

Is the above "news" you made up to link the unlinked, or did you plagiarize the above from some internet item that you failed to mention?
It's true. You can read this specific portion of the transcript here.

Reading through that portion, it just seems bizarre and spectacularly inappropriate considering the context.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 12, 2011 at 2:43 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: UA PE, ICH Plat, Hyatt Plat
I don't get how Senators+TSA has anything to do with the horrible tragedy in AZ -- am I missing something obvious here or is there no real connection? The fact that he invoked this tragedy to try to improve his own position is so scummy I don't even have a word for it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.