Wiki Posts
Search

TSA checkpoints on MBTA red line

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
TSA checkpoints on MBTA red line

The TSA had a checkpoint set up inside the Wollaston T stop this morning. Not sure what they were doing (hurried through because my train was coming), but I think it was random bag checks. I definitely saw the black coats emblazoned with "TSA", though. Has anyone else had any experience with this in Boston? Does anyone know what they are looking for?

Do you want to commute to work today?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've Got a Theory About This Version of "Security Theater"

I'm not familiar with the T because I haven't ridden on it in years. My theory is that the TSA and the local cops set these things up at stations with ample access and parking so the local TV stations can easily set up and film the event as well as find the "anything for security" sheeple to interview. Part B of my theory is that they like to do this when the morning news shows are on TV. On the flip side, there's no sense setting up a suspicionless checkpoint out in the boonies at 7:00 pm.

How accurate was I this morning?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:50 pm

someone wanted to look good for someone else and asked for a VIPR team. Or they just laid off a bunch of MBTA police and want to look good after the fact.

When I was taking ny/ct MTA between New Haven and NYC during the holidays, there were no feds at all, only state cops and MTA police in the stations and platforms. No bag checks either, they were either using dogs or their own inspectors (MTA cops were wearing MTA Detective Division jackets) as BDOs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.