Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

US Citizens to Land in YYZ - Rent Car to Michigan - CPB to Harass?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Citizens to Land in YYZ - Rent Car to Michigan - CPB to Harass?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: Star Gold
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Not to a toss a pickle, but CBP in this case means US Customs and Border Patrol (though I guess Canadian Border Patrol can also be "CBP" )
Oops, haha, thanks. Maybe we should use US-CBP.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:04 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Not to a toss a pickle, but CBP in this case means US Customs and Border Patrol (though I guess Canadian Border Patrol can also be "CBP" )
Or CBSA, that's their abbreviation. I find the only place I've been hassled has been in Canada, flying in for a day meeting or day trip. I've returned to the US completely plastered after a flight and the worst thing to happen to me is getting laughed at.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:19 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by mre5765
Note that the converse, a Canadian citizen driving a rental car with U.S. plates into Canada is something the CBP's counterparts in Canada do care about. Unless a Canadian is a legal U.S. resident, when renting a car to travel to Canada, request a vehicle that has Canadian plates. If none is available (usually because the rental car facility is too far from the border), then swap cars at an agency near the border. In the past, Canadian customs has seized vehicles with U.S. plates if driven by a Canadian citizen.
Why would they do that? Besides, if you have a rental contract in the car, why would they have any reason?

Originally Posted by ande777emt
Or CBSA, that's their abbreviation. I find the only place I've been hassled has been in Canada, flying in for a day meeting or day trip. I've returned to the US completely plastered after a flight and the worst thing to happen to me is getting laughed at.
My worst border experience was with the Canadians, but the US treats people the worst as a rule.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by mre5765
Note that the converse, a Canadian citizen driving a rental car with U.S. plates into Canada is something the CBP's counterparts in Canada do care about. Unless a Canadian is a legal U.S. resident, when renting a car to travel to Canada, request a vehicle that has Canadian plates. If none is available (usually because the rental car facility is too far from the border), then swap cars at an agency near the border. In the past, Canadian customs has seized vehicles with U.S. plates if driven by a Canadian citizen.
Emphatic no. I grew up 3 minutes drive of the Detroit/Windsor border, and have spent most of my life in that part of the world. I have frequently rented cars and drove to the States when I lived in Canada. Once I had a Canadian rented car that broke down in NY, and had to return to Canada in a different US plated replacement car. No one even asked. I now live in Houston and frequently rent cars at DTW and drive over to Canada. The car has never been an issue on either side of the border. They see all kinds of weird situations on both sides. I've done wackier stuff, like drive across the border for 20 mins to get a baseball hat unavailable in Canada (Go Wings!) or cross the continent to BC from ON and back driving through the US (CBP, "where you headed", me "Canada"). Crossing both US and Canadian borders after a transoceanic trip is not uncommon for US and particularly Canadian passengers. As long as you have a legit story, a clean record, and you are not doing anything wrong you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I was just at YYZ a few weeks ago, and as I was grabbing a car (National) one came in from the wash area. The manager yelled "Michigan plates" and said they keep them separate and only rent them back to one-ways going to the US. It's pretty common out of YYZ, so you may be able to get a car with US plates.

That said, coming into the US in a rental car can be a hassle. I've done it twice, and both times got secondaried. Once coming across the bridge north of Niagara Falls, the second time at I-87. I was driving solo, so maybe that was it, but from what I've been told, the boys guarding Fortress America seem to associate a solo driver in a rental car as a drug smuggler. The cars were rented at the airport (Buffalo and Burlington VT), so it was US plates re-entering the US.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Just have a copy of the rental car agreement with you and you passport with you and you'll do fine, but...

because I96 is closed between Telegraph and I275, I94 (and all the other parallel roads) are carrying heavier traffic than normal, so I would allow a little extra time once you get north of the border.

Bob H
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
There is also the Blue Water Bridge between Sarnia, ON and Port Huron, MI as an option to cross the border.

I've driven rental cars Canada to USA and USA to Canada and got searched at Pembina, ND en route from YWG to MSP. I cut thru Ontario from DTW to BUF in a rental car and was sent to Immigration and searched and held up for about two hours in Windsor, ON (should have gone thru Sarnia) and upon returning to the USA in Buffalo I had no problem.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
There is also the Blue Water Bridge between Sarnia, ON and Port Huron, MI as an option to cross the border.
A disproportionate number of CBP horror stories I hear come from the Blue Water Bridge. I know I have had a couple there...

I don't know if it is just me, but it seems CBP officers usually let you keep more of your dignity at the airport pre-clearance facilities. They are posted in Canada, so have to live amongst us - I imagine it is harder to hate your neighbors?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:40 pm
YKF

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon

I've driven rental cars Canada to USA and USA to Canada and got searched at Pembina, ND en route from YWG to MSP. I cut thru Ontario from DTW to BUF in a rental car and was sent to Immigration and searched and held up for about two hours in Windsor, ON (should have gone thru Sarnia) and upon returning to the USA in Buffalo I had no problem.
They Tore my car apart at Bluewater bridge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.