Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Tattoos/Wounds and Pat Downs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Question New Tattoos/Wounds and Pat Downs

I just got a tattoo in an area I know the TSA will pat down. It is extremely sore. I am flying tomorrow and know that the TSA will subject me to a pat down due to my ostomy setting off either the metal detector (filter with aluminum foil) or body scanner.

I really don't want the area around my tattoo patted down, as it is still healing and I do not want to damage it. Can I request that the area not be touched because of the tattoo/wound, sensitivity and instead be subjected to visual inspection?

Also, I read about lotion setting off the etds. Is that really still true? I am using lotion, as instructed, on my tattoo.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:49 am

Good luck with that. Angry Miller posted about his recent wound and being told to remove the dressing. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11890267-post3.html

Many here have reported similar stories. In fact, if you have a sadistic TSO pointing out a sore spot seems to encourage them to pat it harder than normal, as some of us have also experienced.

Or you may be fine. Who knows anymore? Good luck.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exbayern
Good luck with that. Angry Miller posted about his recent wound and being told to remove the dressing. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11890267-post3.html

Many here have reported similar stories. In fact, if you have a sadistic TSO pointing out a sore spot seems to encourage them to pat it harder than normal, as some of us have also experienced.

Or you may be fine. Who knows anymore? Good luck.
Thanks. The bandage is off, but the pat down could be like scratching and that would be really bad. It has been five years since my surgery and the scar was finally healed enough to get covered with a tattoo! I really like it and want to protect it.

Unfortunately, the TSA could probably care less about protecting my tattoo.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:20 am

I could repost a lot of links but that would either make you sad, or angry.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down

I hear you. I genrally have no problem with the YSA's actual procedures. What I do have a problem with is the complete lack of information about different types of procedures (and I am talking very broad outlines here) and alternatives the pax can select that provide the TSA with the same information.

They are going to put their hands in my waist band anyway. Why can't I show the area instead of undergoing a pat down which could scratch my new tatoo.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Comcerneddisabledflier
Why can't I show the area instead of undergoing a pat down which could scratch my new tatoo.
Because 1) they don't care and 2) too many people have already acquiesced to their procedures.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:51 am

I wouldn't count on avoiding the pain. My mother wasn't able to. Mom gets the pat-down on every flight because of her metal hip. On the way out here for T-day, she wasn't ALLOWED to say anything to the TSO about her recent breast cancer surgery and the tender surgical wound on the side of her breast - the screener actually shoved her hand in my mother's face when she started to speak, as if to say "STOP TALKING!" My mother, being an elderly woman, did as she was told, and just stood there and took the pain.

On her return trip, the TSO at least allowed her to speak, and she told her that she'd just had breast cancer surgery, and asked her to avoid touching her right breast. The TSO politely listened - then went right ahead and rubbed her hand directly over the wound, causing her to wince in pain. Clearly, knowing that she was going to cause physical pain to a senior-citizen breast cancer survivor made zero difference to that TSO.

When is your flight? Please do report back what happens. If you can come up with some magical words that will cause a TSO to grow a heart (and a conscience) and NOT manhandle painful wounds, I would like to know what they are. Mom is flying down to my sisters' for Christmas, and is terrified of a repeat. (Fortunately her surgical wound is healing nicely, so hopefully the molestation will at least be less physically painful for her - if not less emotionally painful.)
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:44 am
Original Poster

My flight is this evening.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Comcerneddisabledflier
Why can't I show the area instead of undergoing a pat down which could scratch my new tatoo.
They want to see what happens when they touch a tattoo-bomb?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
While I think travelers should have the pat-down in plain view of everyone, rather in a "private room," I think your case is an exception. You should explain your medical/pain issue and ask for private screening. You need your own witness, if you don't have an appropriate travel companion the airline should supply an employee to accompany you as your witness.

If they balk, ask for the airline Complaints Resolution Officer (all airlines are required to have them, see FT's Disability forum for the recent thread with more information). If you have problems, get a supervisor and a LEO involved.

I would think if the TSO visualizes the area of concern, no touching should be involved. You might have to swipe the area with your fingers, then have your fingers swabbed for explosives detection. Ask for gloves. Allow a lot of extra time for all this, at least one hour.

If I had any sort of recent surgery, this is how I would handle the pat-down. This includes breast cancer, ostomies, etc. The indignities are bad enough, we cannot allow the government to cause physical pain to us just because we are using commercial air as transportation.

The very fact that this is an issue is a travesty. Good luck with your travel this evening.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:13 pm

I have a very difficult time understanding how a terrorist could use either a wound or a tattoo to somehow smuggle a weapon onto a plane.

Why should anyone have to expose their wounds to a TSO? Why should a TSO have to "visualize" the area? What is the logic there? What could possibly be smuggled under a BANDAGE? And what purpose would be served by anyone actually touching the area, whether it's the victim or the TSO? I'm baffled. What would they be looking for? Isn't it obvious that ANY touching of a wound would hurt, regardless of who's doing it?

I will never understand why two TSOs felt it necessary to physically manhandle an elderly woman's breast with a recent surgical wound on it. What could they possibly be looking for? Is there any reason, other than to exert power, cause subjugation, and inflict pain?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Dianne47
I would think if the TSO visualizes the area of concern, no touching should be involved. You might have to swipe the area with your fingers, then have your fingers swabbed for explosives detection. Ask for gloves. Allow a lot of extra time for all this, at least one hour.

If I had any sort of recent surgery, this is how I would handle the pat-down. This includes breast cancer, ostomies, etc. The indignities are bad enough,
Originally Posted by LeeAnne
Why should anyone have to expose their wounds to a TSO? Why should a TSO have to "visualize" the area? What is the logic there? What could possibly be smuggled under a BANDAGE? And what purpose would be served by anyone actually touching the area, whether it's the victim or the TSO? I'm baffled. What would they be looking for? Isn't it obvious that ANY touching of a wound would hurt, regardless of who's doing it?

I will never understand why two TSOs felt it necessary to physically manhandle an elderly woman's breast with a recent surgical wound on it. What could they possibly be looking for? Is there any reason, other than to exert power, cause subjugation, and inflict pain?
There is a very real danger of infection, especially from someone untrained removing dressing and/or touching wounds in an unsterile environment. Anyone trained in first response learns not to cause more harm. Yet that happens with some passengers and some TSOs, including some of the stories we have read here and some of the things some of us have experienced.

The TSA website tells us one thing regarding medical devices, but the reality can be very different. Items which it clearly states must not be removed are ordered to be removed, or are removed by a TSO.

Again, I cannot understand why the public thinks that this is fine.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:55 pm

Isn't it obvious that ANY touching of a wound would hurt, regardless of who's doing it?

*mechincal parrot voice* "For YOUR safety and the safety of others..."

(Alas, there's no puking emoicon.)
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Some hope...

I opted out on a recent trip. The TSO was very professional, and asked me if I had any wounds, implants, injuries, etc. that she should be aware of. I explained that I had a bandage on my abdomen and pointed at the spot. She said, "Thank you, I will be careful when patting down that area." And she was considerate and careful. So there are good, professional TSOs at some checkpoints.

I wouldn't mention the tattoo - I would say, "I have a colostomy bag and a bandaged wound at the surgery site." Completely true, and more likely to get respect and/or sympathy than a voluntary tattoo. If they press the issue, say it was a cosmetic procedure to deal with scarring. (also true)

If your patdown officer acts like a jerk from the beginning, I would ask for a supervisor immediately and explain your concerns - that it seemed like the TSO didn't understand your medical issues, and you wanted to make sure that you had communicated everything clearly before the patdown begins, because there could be medical consequences for you.

If the supervisor acts like a jerk, then call in the people that Dianne47 mentioned.

Last edited by janetdoe; Dec 10, 2010 at 3:30 pm
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I have a very difficult time understanding how a terrorist could use either a wound or a tattoo to somehow smuggle a weapon onto a plane.

LeeAnne, you are - of course - 100% correct. However, the OP is traveling TODAY and the current pat-downs are so aggressive that he must take special efforts to ensure that he is not physically hurt. What happened to your mother is terrible and I hope she will file a formal complaint with TSA and her congressional representatives, also the chairs of the congressional committees that oversee DHS and TSA.

I agree with exbayern that the current procedures are horrendous. What's going on with the TSA at airports is antithetical to our way of life, the Constitution, and the laws of this country. I'm not so sure that the public thinks what's going on is fine, to paraphrase exbayern. Certainly nearly all of the people who frequent this particular forum think nothing of the kind.

The OP asked for advice regarding his problem as of today's trip. He is wise to be concerned that he could be injured by the aggressive searches going on in American airports. Hopefully, the practical suggestions in this thread will assist him in traveling safely today.

I do believe that the hue and cry will grow so loud that it cannot be dismissed. I've looked in vain for a political cartoon picturing an airport security area with the founding fathers watching, in tears, from the sidelines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.