Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Game consoles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Question: Game consoles

I hope this is in the right place. Apologies if it's not!

I'm flying home for winter break tomorrow through Sacramento International. Because there's been a huge problem with thefts in our dorm (and I'll probably want them at home anyway), I will be bringing my Playstation 2 Slim and Nintendo Wii home with me in my carryon.

I know I need to take my laptop out of the case and put it in its own tray for the xray machine. Will I have to do that with my game consoles as well? I'll be wrapping them in my clothes to give them extra cushioning, but I'm concerned that it may look suspicious, and it may take some time to open up my carryon, unwrap them, place them in the tray, and them rewrap them and repack them at the end, so I'd like to know if that is necessary ahead of time.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:32 am

I haven't traveled with a game console, but I have traveled with a 20" LCD monitor, 10 hard drives, video cards, a motherboard, CPUs and memory etc. Nearly an entire desktop computer without a case in my carryon. I think the laptop requirement only applies to laptops. I certainly didn't remove anything from my backpack. I was very worried that they would try to force me to turn the computer on. Since I didn't have a power supply or keyboard (among other things) that would have proven difficult. Every time my bag was viewed through the x-ray machine it was selected for secondary inspection. They removed everything and then left it in a pile for me to repack. It took a while but it was no big deal. So you can probably expect a secondary inspection and no more. I was very, very worried about the whole thing, but it really turned out okay. I tried multiple times to call the TSA and ask about what would happen, but of course that information was SSI.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:05 am

Programs: TSA
When you come into the checkpoint, all of the major game consoles need to be removed from the bag and run through the x-ray separately. Most of the consoles have pretty dense circuitry and can cause bag checks when they are left in the bag. I would simply put them in one of the bins (I think that the WII and PS2 will fit in one bin side by side. Have a great trip!

P.S. Welcome to FT!

Last edited by gsoltso; Dec 10, 2010 at 8:05 am Reason: Add greeting to a newer member!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:25 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by gsoltso
When you come into the checkpoint, all of the major game consoles need to be removed from the bag and run through the x-ray separately. Most of the consoles have pretty dense circuitry and can cause bag checks when they are left in the bag. I would simply put them in one of the bins (I think that the WII and PS2 will fit in one bin side by side. Have a great trip!

P.S. Welcome to FT!
gsoltso is correct. See here (towards the botom of the page): http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/sop/index.shtm

Laptops, Full-Size Video Game Consoles And Other Large Electronics

Effective August 4, 2007, laptop computers, full-size video game consoles (for example Playstation®, X-box®, or Nintendo®), full-size DVD players, and video cameras that use video cassettes must be removed from their carrying cases and submitted separately for x-ray screening. Laptop computers and video cameras that use cassettes have long been subject to this policy.

What Needs to be Screened Separately

Laptops
Full-size video game consoles
Full-size DVD players
Video cameras that use video cassettes
CPAP breathing machines

Small and portable electronic items do not need to be removed from their carrying cases.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Actually, I have another question as well. Are crochet hooks allowed? I believe I read somewhere that they are, but I haven't been able to find it again. Someone told me only wood or plastic ones are, and mine are metal.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Circular thread cutters or any other cutter or needlepoint tools that contain blades must be placed in checked baggage. You are permitted to keep scissors smaller than 4 inches in your carry-on baggage.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.
In other words, you can, unless they tell you that you can't.

To find out what you can bring, go to tsa.gov and look for the "Can I bring..." search box.

//A

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.