Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA tyranny spilling out of airports into streets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2010, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

I don't know how many are tuning into FedUpFlyers.org, but I wanted to be sure you all saw this one. If I'm not mistaken, these things happened before my encounter in MEM last month:

Turns out, through "Operation VIPER" the state has already been advancing its ambitions outside the airports for a while, though I'm sure they've probably slowed it down a bit in recent weeks for obvious political reasons. There are two local news videos referenced in the post above. I couldn't figure out a way to embed the videos in this post. Please check them out, though.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 4:12 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ICE, TPD and CBP are helping the TSA keep us safe.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 4:22 pm

Sounds like they're a sought after freebie.

Originally Posted by Good Guy
You'd be surprised. The VIPR Teams phone is literally ringing off the hook. The FAM's I know who are on a dedicated VIPR Team are constantly in demand by Federal, State and Local LE Agencies.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 4:32 pm

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Just what is it going to take to stop these goons?
Old Dec 2, 2010, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by WindOfFreedom
Large-scale civil disobedience, beyond just the frequent fliers.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
Absolutely sick to my stomach. The video for F.A.S.T. is the scariest thing I have ever seen.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by WindOfFreedom
Violence is the only thing they understand.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
TSA screeners do not have any law enforcement authority, nor do they have any additional authority outside the airport. You're free to ignore them, flip them off, or whatever.

The other teams that make up this stupidity are technically law enforcement, so you can't really ignore or flip them off, but you're under no obligation to answer their questions beyond your name - and with the exception, I believe, of one or two states, you don't even need to show physical ID.

If the transit operator has given them the appropriate authority, they can ask you to leave the facility or vehicle if you refuse to cooperate....but that only goes for ICE, CBP, state or local police. If a TSA screener asks you to leave, you can ignore them.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The video clip provided by the original post looks like is connected to this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...greyhound.html
Old Dec 2, 2010, 11:34 pm

I think this is DA BOMB! Why has it taken them so long to stop us in public places and search us for contraband, proof of citizenship or anything they damn well feel will make us "safe"? Too bad we don't have some sort of document that clearly establishes that we have rights and freedoms that the state may not violate, but until that happens, JUST SHUT UP AND SPREAD 'EM!
Old Dec 2, 2010, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
So let's see, SecureFlight data collection could soon evolve into SecureTravel, instant background check via 3G/4G remote network (oops, better lock them out of running a credit check to get the scores) - and optionally offer the public to get an instant fingerprint check and have DNA samples taken, just for the records, to protect us from .... errrr, the terrorists or bad guys.

Civl Disobedience - America's proud (non-violent) traditions
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:51 am

And pretty soon, America really has its own Gestapo. Need one, you know, to handle the ever-present threat to our safety. Wait, haven't I heard that before somewhere?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 6:00 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by gdeluca
Absolutely sick to my stomach. The video for F.A.S.T. is the scariest thing I have ever seen.
Where do you find that video? The OPs link is broken I think.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 6:51 am

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by bocastephen
TSA screeners do not have any law enforcement authority, nor do they have any additional authority outside the airport. You're free to ignore them, flip them off, or whatever.

The other teams that make up this stupidity are technically law enforcement, so you can't really ignore or flip them off, but you're under no obligation to answer their questions beyond your name - and with the exception, I believe, of one or two states, you don't even need to show physical ID.

If the transit operator has given them the appropriate authority, they can ask you to leave the facility or vehicle if you refuse to cooperate....but that only goes for ICE, CBP, state or local police. If a TSA screener asks you to leave, you can ignore them.
I told a TS-Clerk she had as much police power as a Wal-Mart greeter after she decided to try to make me "respect her authoritay" by subjecting me to abuse because I know the rules.

The steam coming out of her ears was priceless, and worth the dirty looks I got from my wife the rest of the evening.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 6:53 am

I'm curious... what would they prohibit on a bus?

A gift of a chemistry set for a kid at Christmas?
Some chemical supplies for your garden?
Kitchen supplies? I need to find my copy of the Poor Man's James Bond and/or The Anarchist Cookbook
What if I was carrying either of those books? (wonder what TSA would make of them at an airport?)
Or the Quran?

If I were taking a bus for an extended trip of a day or two... (haven't been in a bus in 30 years and haven't ever been on Greyhound... ) I'd likely carry a variety of things I wouldn't carry on a plane - a pocket knife, possibly even a camping knife, would definitely be in my gear.

AND... if they DID prohibit any of the above on a bus... then they will, by the same logic, prohibit you from carrying the same stuff anywhere.

Seriously... where does this end?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.