Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA spreads its wings - groping not just for air travelers anymore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Random Pat-Downs Turn PATCO Into Police State

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...102443699.html

Commuters' clothing, pockets, bags and vehicles to be randomly searched
By TERESA MASTERSON
Updated 8:58 AM EST, Thu, Sep 9, 2010

Commuters who ride PATCO trains between southern New Jersey and Philadelphia should expect random searches of their clothing, pockets, bags and vehicles on their morning trip to work.

Twelve Transportation Security Administration screeners, armed with an explosive-sniffing K-9, checked 663 commuter bags randomly selected from the morning rush at the Lindenwold station Tuesday.

"It was chaotic," Kevin Greczyn, an accountant from Magnolia who commutes to Philadelphia daily, told the Courier Post. "Nobody was sure what was happening, whether it was safe to get on the train, or whether we were carrying something we shouldn't be.”

Delaware River Port Authority Police Chief David McClintock told The Courier Post of Cherry Hill screeners were looking for improvised explosive devices and weapons.

The chief says that out of the 6663 bags searched between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m., a crack pipe was the only item confiscated.

“We can conduct any kind of search we want," said McClintock. "We could ask TSA to bring wands or X-ray machines like they have in airports, though we don't think that's appropriate for PATCO riders at this time."

There are about 5,000 commuters passing through the Lindenwold daily, according to the Courier Post. The searches will be conducted by a freshly hired DRPA police several times a month, --without advance warning -- at various
PATCO stations.

A special Delaware River Port Authority police unit plans to conduct surprise searches at various PATCO stations.
Ugh. This seemed to be in the plans for a while.

TSA chief John Pistole to put priority on rail, subways
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...tsa16_ST_N.htm

By Thomas Frank, USA TODAY
ARLINGTON, Va. — Protecting riders on mass-transit systems from terrorist attacks will be as high a priority as ensuring safe air travel, the new head of the Transportation Security Administration promises.
In his first interview since taking over the TSA, former FBI deputy director John Pistole told USA TODAY that some terrorists consider subway and rail cars an easier target than heavily secured planes. "Given the list of threats on subways and rails over the last six years going on seven years, we know that some terrorist groups see rail and subways as being more vulnerable because there's not the type of screening that you find in aviation," he said. "From my perspective, that is an equally important threat area."

Pistole, 54, took over the TSA on July 1 after 26 years at the FBI. He said he wants to make the agency a full partner in U.S. counterterrorism efforts.

The attempted bombing of a flight over Detroit last Christmas indicates "al-Qaeda and affiliates are still interested in doing some type of attack involving aviation," Pistole said.

Members of Congress, including House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., have pressed the TSA to put more money into mass-transit security. Thompson met with Pistole on Thursday and said the two agreed.

Thompson said he was "impressed with Pistole's knowledge of security" and with his experience at the FBI as a manager. "From that, I am confident he won't pass on making difficult decisions," Thompson said.

Deputy FBI director from 2004 until taking over the TSA, Pistole brings an extensive security and counterterrorism experience to the 60,000-person agency that was created after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. He was deeply involved in high-profile terrorism investigations, including the Christmas Day bombing attempt and the attempted car bombing in New York City's Times Square in May.

Pistole said he wants TSA workers, including 47,000 screeners at 450 airports, to operate as a "national-security, counterterrorism organization, fully integrated into U.S. government efforts."

"I want to take TSA to the next level," Pistole said.

Pistole is President Obama's first TSA chief. Two Obama nominees withdrew during the confirmation process.
You certainly did buddy.

I suppose he certainly shut me up, in a way. I was complaining earlier that the focus on air security was silly because there were so many alternative targets - but I can see now that he's well aware of this and wants to grope our genitals on the way to the store, not just when flying. The man is nothing but consistent.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:04 pm

Don't like it?

Don't Fly.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:08 pm

VIPR Operations have been conducted for quite a few years now. Nothing really new here.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1P
We have the same on the MBTA in Boston.

I really just don't understand why people accept this.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:21 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by AmericanSecurityTheater
Don't like it?

Don't Fly.
Did you even read the post?

This was about searches on commuter trains.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL GM / PC APM / SPG GM / GP PM
when will we have to be searched before getting behind the wheel of our own car?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
"I want to take TSA to the next level," Pistole said.
I can hardly wait. One fellow FT'er has even reported that TSA tried to board his private boat.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Good Guy
VIPR Operations have been conducted for quite a few years now. Nothing really new here.
VIPR has been around for a while, no question. Yet the concern is more frequent use, and/or larger scale implementation. The general team appears to consist of an FSD, a few TSOs, and one or two FAMs. Yet think of the power they possess... they can do an administrative search (including xrays, enhanced patdown, etc) of anyone they choose, whenever they want, wherever they want, as long as the search appears to relate in any way to transportation. That's anytime before, during, or after transportation has occurred. And they have an LEO with them, so if they find anything, they can hand it over for review. A roving team of government officials with the power to search at will, with no limits on their administrative search authority, and no defined rules or limits on what they can share with an LEO.

And you don't find that concerning?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Nice, big thread about this from September..

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...er-trains.html
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Originally Posted by AmericanSecurityTheater
Don't like it?

Don't Fly.
Originally Posted by us2

It was a joke. About people who say "Don't like it don't fly" about those FF who complain about searches.

They're coming for youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..............
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:33 pm

Programs: WN A++, Marriott Plat, Avis 1
Originally Posted by us2

Check your sarcasm detector; I think I heard it beeping in your pocket. It was kind of muffled so you might not have heard it.

He meant to say:
If you don't like it, just don't-
* Get on a plane
* Get on a train
* Get on a bus
* Get on a ferry
And more to come with bridges and tunnels too.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by VegasCableGuy
Check your sarcasm detector; I think I heard it beeping in your pocket. It was kind of muffled so you might not have heard it.

He meant to say:
If you don't like it, just don't-
* Get on a plane
* Get on a train
* Get on a bus
* Get on a ferry
And more to come with bridges and tunnels too.
Followed by sports arenas, rock concerts, shopping malls and all buildings taller than three stories.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by chollie
Followed by sports arenas, rock concerts, shopping malls and all buildings taller than three stories.
Those would fall under NSSEs, yet I trust the Secret Service a lot more then the TSA.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by sbagdon
VIPR has been around for a while, no question. Yet the concern is more frequent use, and/or larger scale implementation. The general team appears to consist of an FSD, a few TSOs, and one or two FAMs. Yet think of the power they possess... they can do an administrative search (including xrays, enhanced patdown, etc) of anyone they choose, whenever they want, wherever they want, as long as the search appears to relate in any way to transportation. That's anytime before, during, or after transportation has occurred. And they have an LEO with them, so if they find anything, they can hand it over for review. A roving team of government officials with the power to search at will, with no limits on their administrative search authority, and no defined rules or limits on what they can share with an LEO.

And you don't find that concerning?
Not a bit, but then I'm a Jack Booted Thug by occupation.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:47 pm

We're gonna spend a couple of days at Disneyland next week. That place presents some prime opportunities for mayhem...especially during and right after the fireworks.

Maybe the smurfs will be coming to Magic Kingdom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.