Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Tight Skirt- will they do a private, visual search?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

So- The thought of being touched in private areas is extremely offensive to me. I've read that if a skirt is too tight to feel your thighs, they will make you remove it. If you go to a private room, remove the skirt, and they can see there is nothing there, will they STILL touch your groin and crotch? If so, what is the justification???
Old Nov 16, 2010, 6:59 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by hilary79
So- The thought of being touched in private areas is extremely offensive to me. I've read that if a skirt is too tight to feel your thighs, they will make you remove it. If you go to a private room, remove the skirt, and they can see there is nothing there, will they STILL touch your groin and crotch? If so, what is the justification???
I wondered when this would come up, If you wear a tight skirt and have been selected for whatever reason to have a standard pat down, you will be asked to change clothes into something that will allow the patdown OR you can go to private screening and don a paper drape and raise the skirt high enough to allow a standard patdown.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Do you pat down bare skin? If so, why?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Because they are the TSA.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:19 pm

It's those nasty skin bombs
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eyecue
I wondered when this would come up, If you wear a tight skirt and have been selected for whatever reason to have a standard pat down, you will be asked to change clothes into something that will allow the patdown OR you can go to private screening and don a paper drape and raise the skirt high enough to allow a standard patdown.
What happens if the wearer is not wearing undergarments, since you have to feel up the thigh until you meet genitalia?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:22 pm

Programs: United Airlines 1K MM, Hilton Honors Gold
Being searched

I would NEVER go to a private area. There is too much opportunity for abuse. The search with or without the skirt would have to be done in the open. We will see what happens to me on the 24th as I will be flying in a skirt.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I wondered when this would come up,
A week ago?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...creenings.html
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:26 pm

In a word NO..

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
What happens if the wearer is not wearing undergarments, since you have to feel up the thigh until you meet genitalia?
The subject of the patdown wears the paper drape and the patdown is conducted as though that was an item of clothing.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 17, 2010 at 2:00 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
In a word NO..
In this day and age, it is quite common for women to not wear any leg coverings (stockings, pantyhose, etc.). If you are performing a frisk of the legs under a skirt you are performing a frisk on bare skin...

Originally Posted by DAL4550
I would NEVER go to a private area. There is too much opportunity for abuse. The search with or without the skirt would have to be done in the open. We will see what happens to me on the 24th as I will be flying in a skirt.
Dont get your hopes up. More than likely nothing is going to happen.

Frankly, then TSA should be posting this on their website. Many people do not travel with a change of clothes in their carry on, and like others here I would never agree to a search in a private room with TSA.

Why not be honest and tell people things officially so that they can prepare in advance and make the best decisions for themselves? And many FA uniforms do include a pencil type skirt.

Honesty and transparency on subjects like this go a long way to improving relations.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:30 pm
Suspended

In a word NO..
Let's hear from all those whose bare feet, legs and arms have been patted down.

Let's also hear from the screener who told us that patting down bare limbs is done because the screener is following the pat down SOP and going in sequence.

Why do you insist on making such statements, eyecue?

Last edited by doober; Nov 16, 2010 at 7:38 pm
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
In a word NO..
Oh really? How about the people I have seen wearing wife-beaters and shorts? When selected, the clerk will do a rub-down on their arms and bare legs.

try again.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
In a word NO..
You jest. Yes they pat down bare skin. Looks idiotic but they do it, since they are mindless automatons for the most part, not allowed any latitude for common sense.

I would hope they quickly revise procedures to STOP running hands up bare legs when it starts to get curly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.